Home U.S. Coin Forum

RedBook trends

I thumbed through the 2015 Redbook today and noticed the values for my coins are higher than they were in earlier editions of the Redbook. I know Redbook valuations are often wrong, but can I at least rely on trends? If the values of my coins continuously rise in the Redbook, does this mean the actual market values of my coins are also rising, or are these values just published to make people feel good?

I understand the better method is to refer to Heritage auction achieves, but this is very time consuming. The Redbook is easy, but does it really mean anything?

Comments

• SonorandesertratSonorandesertrat Posts: 5,695 ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I started collecting coins more than 45 years ago, pricing in the latest Redbook was influential. Not now. By the time a given Redbook becomes available for purchase, its pricing is yesterday's news. I am building a reference collection (about 4,000 items now), but have just 5 Redbooks. I don't find them all that useful, and I dislike the fact that many varieties are noted because of lobbying in the past, etc. There are still many collectors who use the entries in the Redbook as a guide in deciding what to collect. Fine. But taking the pricing seriously is foolish IMO because there are sources of more up-to-date information.
    Member: EAC, NBS, C4, CWTS, ANA

RMR: 'Wer, wenn ich schriee, hörte mich denn aus der Engel Ordnungen?'

CJ: 'No one!' [Ain't no angels in the coin biz]
  • The redbook's influence and relevance is in line with the overall trend of printed media vs online. It simply can not compete with the flexibility or overhead of the new medium. It still has a place in the hobby but it's days as being a market maker and backbone of the hobby are more or less over and it's not going back. If they really wanted to compete they would create an online presence but they will always be behind the 8ball to PCGS
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Redbook is a reference, of value for much more than just prices (which, as stated above, are more accurately obtained online and elsewhere). The listings are easily accessed and provide a good source of numismatic information - particularly for new collectors. Cheers, RickO
  • AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The professional edition is a great reference that I find I carry with me a lot.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,638 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I thumbed through the 2015 Redbook today and noticed the values for my coins are higher than they were in earlier editions of the Redbook. I know Redbook valuations are often wrong, but can I at least rely on trends? If the values of my coins continuously rise in the Redbook, does this mean the actual market values of my coins are also rising, or are these values just published to make people feel good?

I understand the better method is to refer to Heritage auction achieves, but this is very time consuming. The Redbook is easy, but does it really mean anything? >>

Might make you feel better when you read the prices and your perceived "valuation" is high, but realty will soon set in when you go to liquidate.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm all about the Red Book. Huge fan of it.

To answer your question, no I would not recommend using it for any trends.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm all about the Red Book. Huge fan of it.

To answer your question, no I would not recommend using it for any trends. >>

ditto, agreed, the RB is a great resource.

And, collecting the series is a serious pursuit.

https://www.whitman.com/store/Inventory/Detail/A-Guide-Book-of-the-Official-Red-Book-of-U-S--Coins+079482580X

Strange that the link doesn't work!

A Guide Book of the Official Red Book of U.S. Coins

By Frank J. Colletti, Forwords by Kenneth Bressett and Q. David Bowers.

The Guide Book of the Official Red Book of United States Coins offers a history of coin price guides, leading up to the best-selling numismatic reference of all time: the legendary "Red Book." Longtime collector Frank J. Colletti explores the foundation laid by R.S. Yeoman, and then studies each Red Book issued since 1946. Regular editions, special editions, authorized editions, and errors are all examined in detail. Colletti tells what to look for and how to build and care for a collection of Red Books. He discusses Red Book - related medals and other collectibles. Kenneth Bressett, Q. David Bowers, and other numismatists offer their personal recollections of the famous coin reference guide that has sold more than 22 million copies. 304 Pages, Full Color, 6x9, Softcover.
    Frank

BHNC #203

• the RedBook's job is to show increasing prices, not to accurately reflect the market. That way, you will always buy next year's Redbook, and feel good about it because it says your collection is worth more.

Most numismatists use it as a thumb reference for mintages, weights, designers, major varieties, etc and just ignore the values.
  • okiedudeokiedude Posts: 644 ✭✭✭
    Great reference, especially for mintage numbers and weights. I never even look on the right side of the page-LOL!
    BST with: Oldhobo, commoncents05, NoLawyer, AgentJim007, Bronzemat, 123cents, Lordmarcovan, VanHalen, ajaan, MICHAELDIXON, jayPem and more!
  • roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭
    There is some value in using it to compare similar items in similar grades of the same rarity where no recent sales price history of one coin exists. I found this useful for many years in the Liberty Seated denominations. There's probably still some utility there but nowhere near as much as there was 10-25 years ago when most price guides were woefully inadequate. I would have expected 2015 RB prices to be somewhat higher than 2014 as many rare coins have moved higher since the last washout in 2010-2011.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • RichieURichRichieURich Posts: 8,438 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'll never forget the customer who stopped by my table at the 2013 FUN show. He mentioned that my prices were higher than in the Redbook. I asked if I could see his Redbook. It was from 2007.

An authorized PCGS dealer, and a contributor to the Red Book.

• TreashuntTreashunt Posts: 6,747 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I'll never forget the customer who stopped by my table at the 2013 FUN show. He mentioned that my prices were higher than in the Redbook. I asked if I could see his Redbook. It was from 2007. >>

funny

You should have shown him a 1947 edition
    Frank

BHNC #203

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file