Home U.S. Coin Forum

1.5 million - Indian's, Wheat's, and Moderns! Great Grepke Indiana Penny Hoard!!!!!!!!

13»

Comments

• << <i>Oh yes you are correct.....it the vast volume of things...but this is a collector.....he as things that are not in rolls....why can no one see this?

Yeah he can move the pounds....but if you were a penny collector for 40 years, would you have something not listed in an excel sheet?

Think about it?

Edit: Really? Come on, this is a collector who happened to not be a variety collector. The list is his stock....need I say more? Call him and ask? Then you will see what his 40 years entailed.. >>

Sorry to burst your bubble but the reality of things is, this is not a collector. I have not seen this mentality outside of the coin world. So I could be wrong.

Someone with 2 million pieces of comics they clipped from the newspaper calling themselves an 'art collector' would not even be looked at.

Not really sure how to define this, but in other genres collectors don't go to the 'dealer' for items. Wine collectors don't buy wine from the liquor store, car collectors don't have a collection consisting of a fleet of F-150s from the local Ford dealer. Someone who amasses (albeit a quite impressive) a hoard of pocket change is still not a 'collector'. And if you are having problems believing it, just look at how hard it is to unload it…
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,192 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Remember the old saying : "if you want to make a million pennies in the coin business …. you have to start with 2 million."

HE>I

• EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭

<< <i>Not really sure how to define this, but in other genres collectors don't go to the 'dealer' for items. Wine collectors don't buy wine from the liquor store, car collectors don't have a collection consisting of a fleet of F-150s from the local Ford dealer. Someone who amasses (albeit a quite impressive) a hoard of pocket change is still not a 'collector'. And if you are having problems believing it, just look at how hard it is to unload it… >>

I really do not know what to say...

It is hard because its timing.....no more no less..

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
  • DUIGUYDUIGUY Posts: 7,252 ✭✭✭
    “A nation can survive its fools, and even the ambitious. But it cannot survive treason from within. An enemy at the gates is less formidable, for he is known and carries his banner openly."

- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 106-43 BC
  • OldIndianNutKaseOldIndianNutKase Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This may sound funny, but this man was a Coin Collector. I don't know what he was thinking, but I myself did collect a few rolls of UNC Lincolns form the 1960's . But I moved my money into skiing and not coin collecting. I still have the rolls, and hope that as new die varieties are discovered I can go through them and see if I am lucky. But to go through this horde is beyond comprehension.

We are witness to a man who loved collecting and categorizing coins to an illogical degree. He is just another of our disconnected brothers in this hobby. But let's wish him well, and give him credit for having created possibly the largest private coin collection the world.

OINK
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>This may sound funny, but this man was a Coin Collector. >>

I think so too. I hope he had enjoyment each time he filled one of those rolls.
    It probably was a bargain and a lot of fun.
    Ed
  • leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm not going to try to wrap my brain around this but the keys are missing and that will hurt the sale. The buyer has to make his money back in the short run or you're looking at face or close to it and if someone is really going to search all those coins? Actually, it's impossible. So what if the hoard was peppered with a few keys. What's the difference if the coins receive an extra cent per? Just do the math, the keys would be paid for and you're rid of the coins. Eliminate your greed or just haul them to the bank. You KNOW that's not going to be something you want to do. But what's there to say they'll end up at some bank anyway. Someone will pick come get them but there has to be keys, a lot of them!

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

<< <i>I'm not going to try to wrap my brain around this but the keys are missing and that will hurt the sale. The buyer has to make his money back in the short run or you're looking at face or close to it and if someone is really going to search all those coins? Actually, it's impossible. So what if the hoard was peppered with a few keys. What's the difference if the coins receive an extra cent per? Just do the math, the keys would be paid for and you're rid of the coins. Eliminate your greed or just haul them to the bank. You KNOW that's not going to be something you want to do. But what's there to say they'll end up at some bank anyway. Someone will pick come get them but there has to be keys, a lot of them! Leo >>

He has the keys, just not rolls of them.

He apparently has a 1909s VDB in EF? I know he has more of them also. You have to remember, what I was listing is just the rolls. This is not all the pennies he has. I am sure there are plenty of keys, just not 50 of them...

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”
    Wow, I just heard from him and not a single person has contacted him about the possibility of buying the pennies. I find that odd as I sent the contact information to at least 10 folks I though were seriously interested.

Strange..

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    David McHenry.....pm me and I will provide phone #
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

Someone who collected like this for this long, focusing on pennies, most certainly pulled out the ones of real value. He was also a coin dealer.

The get rich quick scenario is dead.

<< <i>Someone who collected like this for this long, focusing on pennies, most certainly pulled out the ones of real value. He was also a coin dealer.

The get rich quick scenario is dead. >>

Sometimes people just amaze me. Everyone is out to make a quick buck or so you think. Why can it not be as it was presented? NOt everyone in the world is a damn thief and con artist. I used my real name even. Well if you would have read the thread instead of opening your 'internet' desires you would have read,

(1) He is NOT a variety collector. I stated you would not find a 55 DDO but he really did not look for 72's or 69's. He does not collect varieties nor have they been searched for such. READ.

Yes, he owns a coin shop and has for about 8 years or so. He did not want this to happen, but life deals these blows. It is not a get rich quick scenario and screw you for even saying it without reading the thread. I have NOTHING in this, he was my LCS and I got to know him over a couple of years. I chose to buy from him instead of the big city guys, he got me going to coin shows, he made collecting fun. Then to hear his news was disheartening. I wanted to help him liquidate, that is all I wanted to do. I wish I had the funds and the time to buy the store but I do not.....People...sometimes....nah....it is not surprising at all. I have tried to be honest as I could and to keep the vultures away, you know, the ones who want something for nothing. Is that a description of you? Then to have comments like this shows, they did not read nor follow what was written. Go Figure.

<< <i>David McHenry.....pm me and I will provide phone # >>

Dave already has it, so no worries......geez.

Update...

I heard from him that some have contacted him through these forums.....that is good news!

Thanks and sorry for the cloak and dagger but I was limited in what I could say at first...

Best of luck to all!

• Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone who collected like this for this long, focusing on pennies, most certainly pulled out the ones of real value. He was also a coin dealer.

The get rich quick scenario is dead. >>

Sometimes people just amaze me. Everyone is out to make a quick buck or so you think. Why can it not be as it was presented? NOt everyone in the world is a damn thief and con artist. I used my real name even. Well if you would have read the thread instead of opening your 'internet' desires you would have read,

(1) He is NOT a variety collector. I stated you would not find a 55 DDO but he really did not look for 72's or 69's. He does not collect varieties nor have they been searched for such. READ.

Yes, he owns a coin shop and has for about 8 years or so. He did not want this to happen, but life deals these blows. It is not a get rich quick scenario and screw you for even saying it without reading the thread. I have NOTHING in this, he was my LCS and I got to know him over a couple of years. I chose to buy from him instead of the big city guys, he got me going to coin shows, he made collecting fun. Then to hear his news was disheartening. I wanted to help him liquidate, that is all I wanted to do. I wish I had the funds and the time to buy the store but I do not.....People...sometimes....nah....it is not surprising at all. I have tried to be honest as I could and to keep the vultures away, you know, the ones who want something for nothing. Is that a description of you? Then to have comments like this shows, they did not read nor follow what was written. Go Figure.
    >>

I just finally had a chance to read your foolish comments. First, the get rich quick people would be the only ones who would even consider buying such a crazy collection, and since it is completely picked over, they will not get rich and so that scenario is dead. Maybe you should "READ" as you pointed out along with your personal attacks and name calling. You obviously have some vested interest in this since most of your comments show you are taking everything very personal.

I could also be that you are crazy.
    Think what you want I could care less.

I have no stake in this other than helping a friend that got dealt a crappy blow.

So, you do not believe me when I say he is not a variety collector. I can not force you to believe it, and to be honest I can not prove it. However, in conversations with this man I tend to believe him, and I do think that the only obvious ones that have been searched for are the 55 DDO and any off center or cud. I believe him, the fact that you don't mean beans to me.

As for your comments - so what? Do not call him. Please DO NOT.

As for the others, take not my word for anything, call the man himself and ask and then use your better judgement as to whether he is a liar..

<< <i> since it is completely picked over, they will not get rich and so that scenario is dead. >>

Well I disagree and I have actually talked with the owner, have you?

<< <i> Maybe you should "READ" as you pointed out along with your personal attacks and name calling.

<< <i>

Name calling? hmm Well I see some acting as vultures, thinking they can make a fast buck. The man has a collection for sale that he obviously spent some time building and is trying to get a fair price, not for him mind you, but for his wife. What is wrong with this? Nothing but some like to think everything is a scam.....

<< <i> You obviously have some vested interest in this since most of your comments show you are taking everything very personal.

<< <i>

Yes, a six pack of beer....and that is it. I do take it personal when someone thinks they have it figured out as being anything other than as presented. If there is an issue with how it was presented then by all means blame me and not the owner. I presented it as best as I understood it and did as I thought was best. The fact that he is now talking with potential buyers that he would have never been in contact with is good enough for me and I feel that I have succeeded in what I wanted to do..

<< <i>I could also be that you are crazy >>

Well, I have been called worse - good day sir and take a chill pill....you do not have to call him and I would prefer that you did not.

Well I guess a person from here contacted him about the state quarters, that is good. I think both of them are happy with that.

As for the pennies, no one has called him yet. I told him the holidays are over and people are getting back into the groove. I think his health has improved to the point that he should be at the store in the evenings.

I really think that there are a few that think these have been searched through thoroughly and I can not prove they have not. I will however state that I do not think that is the case. I would say just give him a call, talk with him and ask him. He seems in much better shape than the last time I talked with him..

Someone on another thread posted the contact information for all to see so I guess I see no harm in doing it here....I did not really want that because I did not want him getting bombarded etc but the cat is out now..

Gary's Website

• yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quite the hoard.
    494 rolls of 1936, 606 rolls of 1955-D are the largest quantities.
    He must have really enjoyed sorting them by date and rolling them.

I agree - he probably didn't search them for varieties except the 1955 DDO.
    It looks like he was not into that. More into plain sorting/rolling.

Someone who wanted to search for varieties might just want the rolls for a small number of years/mintmarks.
    I don't think there is much money to be made in searching for the minor varieties. It's more for fun.
    Transporting and storing the full hoard wouldn't be much fun, though.
  • crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,947 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Makes me wanna go and buy some pennies! image I thought "I" had a storage problem!!!!
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
    Well I am taking some heat on another board. I guess some thought I was trying to scam or whatever...

Those that contacted me should know better....

Either way, there is an interesting discussion going on about the size of this hoard and I thought some here that have been following this might find this interesting to say the least..

The Great Gary Penny Hoard

I talked with him yesterday and he is looking better, much better.

If you are interested in these pennies, please call him.....

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I talked with him yesterday and he is looking better, much better.

If you are interested in these pennies, please call him..... >>

Check your Pm's
    Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Check your PMs

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Check your PM's
    Post due to post count problem
    I think I had better check me PM's!!

No worries.....forums and computer programming are a life of their own. image

• leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I just remembered this. At a Tinsley Park coin show by Chicago last year there were 40 to 50 PCGS certified 1924-D Lincoln cents in a show case. All lower grade examples from Good to AU. They would come from a guy with a horde like this.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

Just a quick update - he has sold the state quarters (not on the list, I guess my picture peaked some interest).

The 640k coppers loose in 5 gallon buckets are now sold.

I think the rolls of 2009's are now gone...

So the Indians and Wheats are still there as far as I know.......

Call him and see if you are interested, he might be parting it out now..

Gary Grepke

His email contact is his store:

dollarsandcentscoins@centurylink.net

Phone 260-244-4311
    Mon-Fri 5pm-7pm
    Saturday 10AM - 4PM

Well a gentleman came from a few states away....

He got the 640K coppers (Ones in Buckets) Seemed happy and all. The buckets weighed around 175lbs a piece...

It was a load to lift up to the truck.

Now back to the original 1.5 million pennies.........Call him...

Wheat's are gone...sold.....800k of them.........oh well y'all had your shot.

Out and done...

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wheat's are gone...sold.....800k of them.........oh well y'all had your shot.

Out and done… >>

Drats, I missed my chance. Feel like selling a few thousand of mine, here image

HE>I

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file