Home U.S. Coin Forum

1.5 million - Indian's, Wheat's, and Moderns! Great Grepke Indiana Penny Hoard!!!!!!!!

Comments

• mr1931Smr1931S Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sell the Indians and Lincolns before '59 on ebay.Group the Lincolns in bags of 5000 coins, maybe bags of 1000 on the Indians.Be sure to leave the '09's,'09 VDB's,and other "better" dates in there.You could mix the Indians with the Lincolns and add even more interest.

Don't be surprised to see your coins fetch $.10-$.15 per on ebay.Make sure that they are mixed properly.People love to make discoveries by going through rolls or bags of pennies.

Don't take the '59's and later to the bank.They are worth more than face and there are some valuable varieties in the Memorial Lincolns made before 1982.

You have lots of work to do with the mixing,bagging and shipping but the payoff would be handsome for you.

Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.-Albert Einstein

• MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,703 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Someone here said a large flat rate can hold 10,000

I'd get rolls of free tape from the PO and wrap every square inch with tape

But the guy wants to try to move it as a single lot first.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • EthanEthan Posts: 315 ✭✭
    Payoff is not for me, I am working for a few beers.
    EBay is not an option at this time.....
    "A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

<< <i>Someone here said a large flat rate can hold 10,000. I'd get rolls of free tape from the PO and wrap every square inch with tape >>

Yeah I send halves that way and they get tossed around a lot.

<< <i>But the guy wants to try to move it as a single lot first. >>

Yes you are correct. A penny dealer would be the goal if we can swing it.....

"A gun is like a parachute. If you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

“I want you to remember that no * ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb * die for his country”

<< <i>

<< <i>Someone here said a large flat rate can hold 10,000. I'd get rolls of free tape from the PO and wrap every square inch with tape >>

Yeah I send halves that way and they get tossed around a lot. >>

Put the half rolls in plastic bags and wrap them with tape

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,192 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>image

No matter how well organized. This is a mess.

Key dates: Take them out and sell them to a dealer or anyone willing to by them en mass.
    Wheaties: Pour them ALL together (including Steels) and create batches of 1,000 coins. Sell the batches on eBay. They fit in a small Flat Rate Box.
    "Coppers": Take them to the bank. The value of the copper is moot since it is illegal to melt them. >>

I agree except "illegal to melt them". The Treasury had an interim rule. But the LAW is created by a bill that passes the House and Senate. That's done by Congress. And I'm not sure that a bill was created to make it ILLEGAL.

There are "RULES" and consequences , however: Please READ :
    Are these RULES or laws . Violation of abandoning commerce would be, and is counter productive to our society in a world of capitalism.

The United States Mint has implemented regulations to limit the exportation, melting, or treatment of one-cent (penny) and 5-cent (nickel) United States coins, to safeguard against a potential shortage of these coins in circulation. The United States Mint is soliciting public comment on the interim rule, which is being published in the Federal Register.

Prevailing prices of copper, nickel and zinc have caused the production costs of pennies and nickels to significantly exceed their respective face values. The United States Mint also has received a steady flow of inquiries from the public over the past several months concerning the metal value of these coins and whether it is legal to melt them.

"We are taking this action because the Nation needs its coinage for commerce," said Director Ed Moy. "We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so a few individuals can take advantage of the American taxpayer. Replacing these coins would be an enormous cost to taxpayers."

Specifically, the new regulations prohibit, with certain exceptions, the melting or treatment of all one-cent and 5-cent coins. The regulations also prohibit the unlicensed exportation of these coins, except that travelers may take up to $5 in these coins out of the country, and individuals may ship up to $100 in these coins out of the country in any one shipment for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes. In all essential respects, these regulations are patterned after the Department of the Treasury's regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of silver coins between 1967 and 1969, and the regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of one-cent coins between 1974 and 1978.

The new regulations authorize a fine of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both, against a person who knowingly violates the regulations. In addition, by law, any coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of the regulation shall be forfeited to the United States Government.

The regulations are being issued in the form of an interim rule, to be effective for a period of 120 days from the time of publication. The interim rule states that during a 30-day period from the date of publication, the public can submit written comments to the United States Mint on the regulations. Upon consideration of such comments, the Director of the United States Mint would then issue the final rule.

Those interested in providing comments to the United States Mint regarding this interim rule must submit them in writing to the Office of Chief Counsel, United States Mint, 801 9th Street, N.W., Washington D.C. 20220, by January 14, 2007. The interim rule appears on the United States Mint website at www.usmint.gov. The United States Mint will make public all comments it receives regarding this interim rule, and may not consider confidential any information contained in comments.

So rules are meant to be broken and LAWS are meant to protect and I don't think a million or a billion would be missed for "commerce". Just saying.

HE>I

Just got word.....

Outside the list already being talked about...

There are 640,000 Coppers 1959-1982.

<< <i>
    Outside the list already being talked about...
    >>

Elaborate?

Well I just heard from the owner via email.

So many are just wanting to get copper and ignore the numismatic portion, well he has copper also.....was not in original list.

We are now near 2 million pennies!

Here is a list of all the items.....it is not perfect but accurate I would bet.

<< <i>

<< <i>image

No matter how well organized. This is a mess.

Key dates: Take them out and sell them to a dealer or anyone willing to by them en mass.
    Wheaties: Pour them ALL together (including Steels) and create batches of 1,000 coins. Sell the batches on eBay. They fit in a small Flat Rate Box.
    "Coppers": Take them to the bank. The value of the copper is moot since it is illegal to melt them. >>

I agree except "illegal to melt them". The Treasury had an interim rule. But the LAW is created by a bill that passes the House and Senate. That's done by Congress. And I'm not sure that a bill was created to make it ILLEGAL.

There are "RULES" and consequences , however: Please READ :
    Are these RULES or laws . Violation of abandoning commerce would be, and is counter productive to our society in a world of capitalism.

The United States Mint has implemented regulations to limit the exportation, melting, or treatment of one-cent (penny) and 5-cent (nickel) United States coins, to safeguard against a potential shortage of these coins in circulation. The United States Mint is soliciting public comment on the interim rule, which is being published in the Federal Register.

Prevailing prices of copper, nickel and zinc have caused the production costs of pennies and nickels to significantly exceed their respective face values. The United States Mint also has received a steady flow of inquiries from the public over the past several months concerning the metal value of these coins and whether it is legal to melt them.

"We are taking this action because the Nation needs its coinage for commerce," said Director Ed Moy. "We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so a few individuals can take advantage of the American taxpayer. Replacing these coins would be an enormous cost to taxpayers."

Specifically, the new regulations prohibit, with certain exceptions, the melting or treatment of all one-cent and 5-cent coins. The regulations also prohibit the unlicensed exportation of these coins, except that travelers may take up to $5 in these coins out of the country, and individuals may ship up to $100 in these coins out of the country in any one shipment for legitimate coinage and numismatic purposes. In all essential respects, these regulations are patterned after the Department of the Treasury's regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of silver coins between 1967 and 1969, and the regulations prohibiting the exportation, melting, or treatment of one-cent coins between 1974 and 1978.

The new regulations authorize a fine of not more than $10,000, or imprisonment of not more than five years, or both, against a person who knowingly violates the regulations. In addition, by law, any coins exported, melted, or treated in violation of the regulation shall be forfeited to the United States Government.

The regulations are being issued in the form of an interim rule, to be effective for a period of 120 days from the time of publication. The interim rule states that during a 30-day period from the date of publication, the public can submit written comments to the United States Mint on the regulations. Upon consideration of such comments, the Director of the United States Mint would then issue the final rule.

Those interested in providing comments to the United States Mint regarding this interim rule must submit them in writing to the Office of Chief Counsel, United States Mint, 801 9th Street, N.W., Washington D.C. 20220, by January 14, 2007. The interim rule appears on the United States Mint website at www.usmint.gov. The United States Mint will make public all comments it receives regarding this interim rule, and may not consider confidential any information contained in comments.

So rules are meant to be broken and LAWS are meant to protect and I don't think a million or a billion would be missed for "commerce". Just saying. >>

These are in the CFRegulations

The CFR is made under the authority of various laws.

The mint/Treasury is defining what compliance under the law looks like.

Destruction in elongators is allowed, but would they prosecute 640,000 cents? Maybe, maybe not. They already are out of circulation. Now if they were out back into circulation, that'd be 640,000 fewer money losing Zincolns minted.

Not attempting to defy or skirt law. Just pointing out that having such a rule in place literally stifles the economy for recyclers. ANd those blocks of copper could be SOLD back to the MINT. Or in the open market rather than "forfeiture laws", be corporatized and instead of saying it will cost taxpayers, say it will save taxpayers who are not using their common cents…, and some probably are (melting millions), as we sit here chatting about it. Nonetheless, and interesting to note, that press release in bold above, was 8 years ago to THE day.

December 14, 2006

HE>I

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Yes you are correct. A penny dealer would be the goal if we can swing it..... >>

Give Charmy a call.....tell her since she is "The Penny Lady" and all......

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

She is not interested...

Think of all the cats she'd need...

The forum hiccup has this thread 2 posts behind now

I have updated my original post to reflect what I have learned and answer some of the questions that folks had...

The Great Northern Indiana Penny hoard.............

Quarters - are they original bank wrapped rolls or gems pulled & rolled?

All 50 states in P & D? What about DC & 5 territories in P & D ? Are they just the 1999-2009 state quarters or are there ATB quarters? If ATB in there are the state and ATB mixed or separated?

Those $500 boxes (orange is quarters) full?

• BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,358 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>She is not interested... >>

image I figured...but I would have liked to have seen her face when she was asked image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Quarters - are they original bank wrapped rolls or gems pulled & rolled? >>

I have no clue. I doubt he roll hunts quarters.

<< <i>All 50 states in P & D? What about DC & 5 territories in P & D ? Are they just the 1999-2009 state quarters or are there ATB quarters? If ATB in there are the state and ATB mixed or separated? >>

Again, I have no clue but maybe he does, I did not ask. It is about the pennies.

<< <i>Those $500 boxes (orange is quarters) full? >>

Well I would assume so....I just do not know.

• cladkingcladking Posts: 28,522 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd hate to be a seller of BU zinc rolls right now. These have a lot of potential since so
    many dates are quite elusive. Pices range as high as $21 and they often bring a premium
    when they are available.

If you don't find a buyer for everything I'd suggest Littleton for the older coins. Go through
    and pull out problem coins and they pay very strong prices.
    Tempus fugit.
    I wouldn't give Littleton the time

Selling to them is giving them ammunition they don't need

Hire a backhoe and place them near a trail in the property. Next year find them and sell them all at 40% over guide as "the Great Lakes Hoard."

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    Contact David McHenrey at Arizona Coin and Jewelrey. He will make fair offer and his checks are good. He deals in bags of lincolns, you want a bag of 1911D? See David
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
  • goodmoney4badmoneygoodmoney4badmoney Posts: 1,195 ✭✭✭✭
    Mix them up really well and make some auctions on eBay in canvas bags of 5000 coins each.

Adding "unsearched" to your item description may help. image
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,173 ✭✭✭
    Some compulsion for sure. I'm sure there's someone out there who'd be ecstatic to own this collection.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting the "trash cans" full of Copper photo again.
    Speechless
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Contact David McHenrey at Arizona Coin and Jewelrey. He will make fair offer and his checks are good. He deals in bags of lincolns, you want a bag of 1911D? See David >>

Good advice from Jack!,
    Dave has a buy price list for most of that:

Buy price list
    Ed

<< <i>

<< <i>Contact David McHenrey at Arizona Coin and Jewelrey. He will make fair offer and his checks are good. He deals in bags of lincolns, you want a bag of 1911D? See David >>

Good advice from Jack!,
    Dave has a buy price list for most of that:

Buy price list >>

AR Coin is a good outfit. Some things are better sold to them than anyone else but
    Littleton pays as much as double for some of the coins and especially rolls of separated
    cents. They are very picky so send only the best to get full price.

I understand some peoples' reluctance to sell to them but they are the market for some
    coins.
    Tempus fugit.
    Here is an update...

He has asked me to back off this for a time as he is negotiating with the dealer and his offer. It was at least $10k higher than anyone has even mentioned so far, including pick up. The dealer will make money on this one..

It was worth a shot, but it seems he was right from the start.

I think they are now talking about the 'rest' of the collection.

I will post an update in a few days.

Vet the dealer and vet that check

The check would be good, no worries there.

• ArizonaJackArizonaJack Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭
    ^^^^^^this^^^^^
    " YOU SUCK " Awarded 5/18/08
    Keeps us updated

Sounds like it is moving along well

Was it someone he found or you found?

He found......I just thought he could do better, apparently not.

It is just sad, selling stuff for prices like this......

• TomBTomB Posts: 21,108 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>He found......I just thought he could do better, apparently not.

It is just sad, selling stuff for prices like this...... >>

It's not sad; it's market dynamics.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

Yeah I guess so, kind of takes the bite out of collecting though.........hours and hours.....for not.

• BaleyBaley Posts: 22,659 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Three words - box of twenty. >>

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• scotty1419scotty1419 Posts: 928 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah I guess so, kind of takes the bite out of collecting though.........hours and hours.....for not. >>

When your hobby/collection moves to the level of being a liability, a discount is required to motivate buyers.

Sounds like it worked out.

<< <i>

<< <i>He found......I just thought he could do better, apparently not.

It is just sad, selling stuff for prices like this...... >>

It's not sad; it's market dynamics. >>

It's insisting upon selling in all one lot.

The bad stuff will hit the bank, the good stuff will be bought low enough to justify shipping it all out and flipping it.

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    I'm surprised nobody else commented on the Treasury Rule included above from the Mint:

"We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so a few individuals can take advantage of the American taxpayer. Replacing these coins would be an enormous cost to taxpayers."

Since when did anyone care about enormous cost to or taking advantage of the taxpayer, when they continue to mint cents at a loss, and warehouse millions (billions?) of dollar coins nobody wants/uses?

Maybe it would have been a bit more accurate for them to have stated:

"We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so ANYONE BUT THE GOVERNMENT (AND THOSE WITH TIES INTO POLITICIANS' POCKETS) can take advantage of the American taxpayer........"

imageimage

<< <i>"We don't want to see our pennies and nickels melted down so ANYONE BUT THE GOVERNMENT (AND THOSE WITH TIES INTO POLITICIANS' POCKETS) can take advantage of the American taxpayer........"

imageimage >>

I Like it!

Ok folks, got a chance to talk with him. I have updated the original post.

I sure hope this works out for both parties.........

Life is short, hug your kids and enjoy for you know not when your Lord calls........

I just hope he realizes that lot of this stuff will bring fairly good money
    and he doesn't have too much to swamp the market. A few bags of some-
    thing like '92-D cents might be hard for the market to absorb but I wager
    he doesn't have anything like this.
    Tempus fugit.
    If he has quantities of mint and proof sets he should be able to get bid plus shipping or more.
    Tempus fugit.
    Yes he understands....there are circumstances that dictate things.......it is not ideal but it is what it is and he has to deal with it as it is dealt.

I just hope that he gets in contact with the right person, that person will make monies, maybe lots. It is just discouraging to him how all this is playing out.

Tell him not to be discouraged and to think of them as though they're aluminum cans.

HE>I

• DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,481 ✭✭✭✭
    Such an impressive lifetime collection!! Never mind the ROLLS....... what I wouldn't give for JUST 1 EXAMPLE of each date I still need for my Whitman folder! I can't even fathom someone having MULTIPLE 1909-S-VDB's, 1922's, etc................

Makes me wish I was born about 20 years earlier, when all the great coins (in my opinion) were still commonly available in change & at banks!! (But then again, I'd be 20 years older today than I currently am! AARGH!!)imageimage
    Yes I understand,

What we are witnessing is something all collectors need to watch...what happens when....

Do our children understand what we have put our labor into? Will they just sell?

I am discouraged.

** As a disclaimer...I have told my kids what is going on.....and what I have.....well I can not keep their attention......wow.

I think I am going to sell it and take a trip...

** I am young its a trip to WalMart ok....

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Such an impressive lifetime collection!! Never mind the ROLLS....... what I wouldn't give for JUST 1 EXAMPLE of each date I still need for my Whitman folder! I can't even fathom someone having MULTIPLE 1909-S-VDB's, 1922's, etc................

Makes me wish I was born about 20 years earlier, when all the great coins (in my opinion) were still commonly available in change & at banks!! (But then again, I'd be 20 years older today than I currently am! AARGH!!)imageimage >>

A lot longer than 20 years ago.

Not sure why there is so much excitement by the OP. This is not a collection by any means. It is a hoard. If anyone thinks turning this in a retail environment is so easy that it requires higher prices than some of the numbers expressed, they have never had to deal with something like this. Selling this hoard IS WORK!!!!!
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
    Oh yes you are correct.....it the vast volume of things...but this is a collector.....he as things that are not in rolls....why can no one see this?

Yeah he can move the pounds....but if you were a penny collector for 40 years, would you have something not listed in an excel sheet?

Think about it?

Edit: Really? Come on, this is a collector who happened to not be a variety collector. The list is his stock....need I say more? Call him and ask? Then you will see what his 40 years entailed..

Wow..

In my world - if halves had been rolled,,by year....minus PM value....what would I do.........I am so glad I am not a penny collector.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file