Home Precious Metals
Options

WARNING! Fake Pamp Suisse bars!

Lately there are numerous reports of fake Pamp Suisse 2.5 gram - 10 gram gold bars floating around. Especially on the west coast.

Five of the 10 gram fakes walked into my shop this morning. I might have been fooled if I hadnt heard about this scam just the day before. The gentleman changed his mind about selling them when I told him I would have to remove them from their packaging to make sure they weighed out properly.

The fake 10 gram bars weigh 13.6 grams still in their packaging, im not sure about the smaller units.

Keep your eyes peeled!

Comments

• Options
    I hope there aren't one ounce bars floating around too that are fake. Apmex just strangely sold thousands on ebay at spot with no markup. Never seen a seller sell at spot.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Did you contact the police regarding this seller?
  • Options
    got him on tape, in the process of backing it up and then yes i intend to file a police report.
  • Options

<< <i>got him on tape, in the process of backing it up and then yes i intend to file a police report. >>

Good work and welcome to the forum!
  • Options
    thanks.

and i havent heard any recent reports on fake 1 ouncers, other than the occasional once-in-a-blue-moon type of thing that you hear about any bullion/coin. its all smaller stuff, namely 2.5 gram, 5 gram, and 10 gram Pamp bars, sealed in plastic, serial numbered and everything. they look pretty good. well, good enough.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for the heads-up !!!
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,228 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've seen fakes of many, many items. Pamp, Eagles, Maples, Kruggerand, and the list goes on and on.

The good stuff is tungsten with 100 mils of gold plating. These will weigh correctly and will be "right sized". They come in all types and sizes. So, you have to know what your item should look like. Either that or drill it through. Larger sizes need more holes (eg 10 oz could have been drilled and rods of tungsten inserted)

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,535 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I hope there aren't one ounce bars floating around too that are fake. Apmex just strangely sold thousands on ebay at spot with no markup. Never seen a seller sell at spot. >>

That was my first thought, as well..

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    in short just be wary when making any purchase from someone with whom you havent established a good relationship. find a good local coin/bullion shop, establish a rapport. that shop has likely been getting their stuff from the same reputable sources for years.
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You can buy the 1 oz fake "gold" PAMP bars for $2.50 from our favorite Chinese replica merchant...Aliexpress..a subsidiary of Alibaba. In addition, you can also buy them from U.K. based eBay sellers.

Aliexpress

Ebay UK Sellers
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    The good stuff is tungsten with 100 mils of gold plating. These will weigh correctly and will be "right sized". They come in all types and sizes. So, you have to know what your item should look like. Either that or drill it through. Larger sizes need more holes (eg 10 oz could have been drilled and rods of tungsten inserted)

Great! If anyone is thinking of entering the counterfeiting game, they now know just how to go about it. Thanks for providing them with the information they need. image

You can buy the 1 oz fake "gold" PAMP bars for $2.50 from our favorite Chinese replica merchant...Aliexpress..a subsidiary of Alibaba. In addition, you can also buy them from U.K. based eBay sellers

Thanks for promoting the idea of counterfeiting for anyone who may be thinking of a way to cheat people. image
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Dormant 3 years solid then some posts........sorry if skeptical. Thanks for the heads up.
  • Options
    i dont even remember signing up, but i read this board all the time. a lot of you guys are really smart.

was honestly just looking out for the community and giving a heads up. what am i trying to sell that youd be skeptical about? dont blame you, just curious really.
  • Options
    heres the message that tipped me off, and maybe the only reason im not out $2000 right now. courtesy of great american mint and refinery, via the dealer network site that i use:

WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING - WARNING

--------- FAKE PAMP BARS IN THE MARKET ---------

We will post this from time to time over the next couple of weeks to
    make sure the dealer community catches the warning.

If you buy bullion, this is important...

Several refining customers of ours unknowingly purchased extremely
    realistic looking - yet FAKE Pamp Suissse gold bars. These are now
    circulating here on the west coast. When brought in to our facility,
    they were analyzed as 92% copper and 4% gold plating.

As you can see from the images below, the packaging and bars can
    easily fool someone, especially because they are being sold in small
    2.50 gram - 10 gram weights. Please carefully check all gold bars
    that you are buying. CAVEAT EMPTOR.

front
    back

Happy Trading....

P.S. We opened the packaging today on a "10 Gram bar" and it weighed as
    follows:

9.60 grams net of packaging
    13.60 grams including packaging

We will have a booth at the FUN show next month and I can bring them.
    There have been a few inquiries from CCE members already so ping me if
    interested in seeing them at our booth.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    As soon as I opened first pic I could tell it was fake by serial numbers...
    Guys that got had, prolly bought cheap, n didnt pay necessary attention, so they paid the customer...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The item description in the "Ali" link is scary:

<< <i>Model Number: without copy suisse gold bullion >>

That sucks - big time.

• Options
    MeltdownMeltdown Posts: 8,672 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>got him on tape, in the process of backing it up and then yes i intend to file a police report. >>

Thanks for the info and Hell Yes for getting the guy busted! Welcome to the boards.
  • Options
    DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Assay card in the usual tip off plastic. That casing is the 99% sign on fake silver.

No offense meant blank, had the rums in meimage
  • Options
    These things are all over Fl. as well. image
    Silver Baron
    Silver is the mortar that binds the bricks of loyalty.
  • Options
    For those who ordered 1OZ Pam Suisse from APMEX, how can I make sure the bars are 100% legit?
    BST reference: wondercoin, cone10, fivecents, jmdm1194, goldman86
  • Options

<< <i>The good stuff is tungsten with 100 mils of gold plating. These will weigh correctly and will be "right sized". They come in all types and sizes. So, you have to know what your item should look like. Either that or drill it through. Larger sizes need more holes (eg 10 oz could have been drilled and rods of tungsten inserted)

Great! If anyone is thinking of entering the counterfeiting game, they now know just how to go about it. Thanks for providing them with the information they need. image

You can buy the 1 oz fake "gold" PAMP bars for $2.50 from our favorite Chinese replica merchant...Aliexpress..a subsidiary of Alibaba. In addition, you can also buy them from U.K. based eBay sellers

Thanks for promoting the idea of counterfeiting for anyone who may be thinking of a way to cheat people. image >>

Have u been living in a glass house? That information, as a precaution, has been posted numerous times before over the years. Yes, even your "highly priced" chunks of silver are being counterfeited.
  • Options
    They are even making counterfeit classics in 90% now

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>For those who ordered 1OZ Pam Suisse from APMEX, how can I make sure the bars are 100% legit? >>

If the design is totally new you can feel a bit safe it's possibly too new to have a counterfeit
    Apmex should know where they got them and what looks good but another AP has bought counterfeit bullion in the past.

Start with checking if Pamp has HQ images of the real thing and see if they match. Many counterfeits are off. We're not in super counterfeit territory quite yet.

Tungsten is a tiny bit less dense than gold. I am not sure on the 1oz size how this will work with in the minting tolerances of Pamp.

Assuming all real Pamp have no differences in weight and volume, then the tungsten ones will be either the right weight but wrong volume, or the wrong weight but right volume.

But real Pamp will vary in weight and volume within tolerances. I don't know if the tungsten ones will be so off they clearly fail despite tolerances.

Then there is cutting it apart.... But you likely don't want to do that.

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>For those who ordered 1OZ Pam Suisse from APMEX, how can I make sure the bars are 100% legit? >>

U can't unless u cut them up ...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>When brought in to our facility,
    they were analyzed as 92% copper and 4% gold plating.

P.S. We opened the packaging today on a "10 Gram bar" and it weighed as
    follows:

9.60 grams net of packaging
    13.60 grams including packaging >>

With those specifications, the bar will be significantly thicker than a real 99.9% pure gold bar.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options

<< <i>Then there is cutting it apart.... But you likely don't want to do that. >>

...or maybe you do.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Then there is cutting it apart.... But you likely don't want to do that. >>

...or maybe you do. >>

I haven't been able to find a company that sells a "speed of sound" tester.

This would be a non-destructive test. I'd reckon(without looking it up) tungsten transmits faster than gold.

• Options
    D'oh!

I've answered this before and forgot.

They should ring differently, too. image

• Options
    Do the fakes also come with holograms or in hologram-sealed packages?
    Salute the automobile: The greatest anti-pollution device in human history!
    (Just think of city streets clogged with a hundred thousand horses each generating 15 lbs of manure every day...)
  • Options
    I haven't seen any counterfeit bullion with holos, but I'd guess they could make them. There are holos on pcgs slabs and they counterfeit them. So much so pcgs switched to a totally new holo about a year ago.

• Options
    Yes, even your "highly priced" chunks of silver are being counterfeited.

Not any longer thanks to allengelhard.com. Since that site exposed the hell out of the counterfeiters there have been very minimal sightings of them and the people who were peddling them. And when they do come up, it's now obvious to spot because of the site. They have fallen off a bit in value, but it has nothing to do with worrying about the counterfeiting aspect of them, none whatsoever.

I dont know how you can sleep providing and promoting public information of where to buy the stuff and how to do it. It sickens me that someone on a website such as this would make that information public. Unforgiveable!
  • Options

<< <i>Yes, even your "highly priced" chunks of silver are being counterfeited.

Not any longer thanks to allengelhard.com. Since that site exposed the hell out of the counterfeiters there have been very minimal sightings of them and the people who were peddling them. And when they do come up, it's now obvious to spot because of the site. They have fallen off a bit in value, but it has nothing to do with worrying about the counterfeiting aspect of them, none whatsoever.

I dont know how you can sleep providing and promoting public information of where to buy the stuff and how to do it. It sickens me that someone on a website such as this would make that information public. Unforgiveable! >>

Like I said previously, you must have been asleep for the last several years. The information that I supplied has been posted numerous times not only on this forum, but also in the coin forum for the past several years. By visiting those sites, it gives you some idea what is being replicated (counterfeited) and it's also a learning curve how to spot it. Unfortunately, Alibaba is now listed on the NY stock exchange and had the largest US-listed initial public offering. Your comment is an insult to me and the intelligence and integrity of our forum members. (knowledge is power...ignorance is bliss)
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for reporting for the benefit of the whole. Fakes and phonies abound. This info has been reported for eons , but thank you for filling in the ________. And am glad the "word's" still out there. It's a hard business with all the "fences".
  • Options
    Your comment is an insult to me and the intelligence and integrity of our forum members

Good, because it's meant to be an insult for promoting and condoning counterfeiting!

There's a enormous difference in doing what the OP did by reporting the spotting of fakes, and telling people where to buy the stuff and how to make it.
  • Options

<< <i>Your comment is an insult to me and the intelligence and integrity of our forum members

Good, because it's meant to be an insult for promoting and condoning counterfeiting!

There's a enormous difference in doing what the OP did by reporting the spotting of fakes, and telling people where to buy the stuff and how to make it. >>

Mmm...stop being a self righteous hypocrite with your comments. And to refresh your memory, a thread that you started last year, identifying the same site.

POM's thread re: Aliexpress

• Options
    carew4mecarew4me Posts: 3,464 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your comment is an insult to me and the intelligence and integrity of our forum members

There's a enormous difference in doing what the OP did by reporting the spotting of fakes, and telling people where to buy the stuff and how to make it. >>

Looks like we found something slightly denser than gold or tungsten!

Perhaps you should spend your energy protesting as you seem to be both supremely judgmental of others while excusing your own behavior AND perpetually outraged.

Loves me some shiny!
  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Folks used to be sentenced to death in days of old for doing that.
    In some countries I think you loose body parts.

Bring back the fear!
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭✭✭

piecesofme, I don't see it as an issue to bring up the source here on the forum. The vast majority of the individuals here are trustworthy, and active buyers and sellers. The more info that we can share among ourselves the better.

True, it may give one or two individuals an idea on how to go about obtaining these, if they are prone to perpetrate a scam. However... all one really has to do if they have this in mind, is to just type in something like 'source of counterfeit gold' into any search engine, and they will find out exactly what to do. Trying to keep it 'secret' here will not prevent the problem. The info is readily available.
    ----- kj
  • Options
    Mmm...stop being a self righteous hypocrite with your comments. And to refresh your memory, a thread that you started last year, identifying the same site.

And for you, or anyone to think I have the same viewpoint on ANYTHING from a year ago is asinine! As information is gained, things change that can cause one to have a totally different point of view from as little as a week ago, let alone a f-in YEAR ago.

"It's not the strongest of species that survives, not the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change."

You old dogs still think of old ways, and in alot of cases those ways of thinking still holds true, but in this matter, you're behind the curve
  • Options

<< <i>Looks like we found something slightly denser than gold or tungsten! >>

Damn....I spit up my Cheerios!
  • Options
    I haven't disclosed anything that isn't public info already.

• Options

<< <i>There's a enormous difference in doing what the OP did by reporting the spotting of fakes, and telling people where to buy the stuff and how to make it. >>

im the OP, and i know im new but in my opinion piecesofme is being really weird. and his avatat doesnt help.
  • Options
    I haven't disclosed anything that isn't public info already

Really??? That's how you're going to justufy your providing info. on how to make the stuff?
    I guess what you don't get is although the info on how to do so may already be public, you're contributing and promoting the act of counterfeting.

Pointing out that some were spotted in your local coin store is one thing, that's helpful. Providing information on how to make fake bars and where you can buy them (to sell, because why else would you buy them) in an enormous difference.
  • Options
    tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    In thinking about this, one can get a bit disheartened about obtaining PMs and if its worth it. But then again, when I go to a store, they even check 10 dollar bills now for counterfeit. I guess no person is exempt in any money/value/barter system. I even found out this weekend that they manufacture army ammo containers for the public market because they are popular, and were never produced for the service at all. Same goes for any purchase of anything off of craigs, ebay, whatever - let the buyer beware. Its like George Carlin said; Question Everything and everything they tell you. Every exchange system is just that, an exchange system, and the exchange item only has 'relative' value and validity, even pms.

COA
  • Options
    So the OP should be condemned for providing the weights as that could be used to improve manufacture?

And posting HQ images of real ones and pointing out differences is also abhorrent?

• Options
    The internet genie has long been out of the bottle. Better to be informed by as much information as possible than being a chump when it is time to resell.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Folks used to be sentenced to death in days of old for doing that.
    In some countries I think you loose body parts.

Bring back the fear! >>

Like CHOPMARKS on people, instead of the bullion ? Heaven forbid. Let's just identify the culprits and their minions, and ship them to the Gaza Strip to be the demarcation line. Or to Syria to be the buffer between the people and government.

Or, Afghanistan , as PEACEKEEPERS ? Maybe Gitmo ?

I could think of a few places to park their asses and bring our soldiers home.