Home Metal Detecting
Options

4 Silver dimes! No detector needed either.

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭
The other day a customer paid with a bunch of change. I walked into the office and saw a bunch of plastic cups filled with dimes, nickels, cents, and some quarters. I glanced at the top of the dime cup and saw a silver Canadian dime - 1961. I ended up getting side tracked and got around to searching the rest today. Glanced in the cup and saw a silver edge... pulled it out and a 2nd silver Canadian dime! Emptied the contents onto the counter and found two additional ones! They are 1944, 1949, 1960.

Moved onto nickels and found a 1963 Canadian nickel. Doubt it's much of anything, but a nice older design.

Broke out the quarters next. Not many in there, but first saw a 1970s one. Then saw a 1968! Was excited, but then remembered that was a transition year. Had to look it up online. There are 50% silver issues, and then I believe those made out of nickel. The test is if it sticks to a magnet, it's not the silver one. Quickly found one and got excited at first, but then it stuck to it. Boooooooooo!

Nice to have these come out of circulation. The merc was the probable last silver coin found detecting - 1940-D. Was found on 11/23. Will get together a year-end thread shortly.

HH all!

Comments

• Options
    Bayard1908Bayard1908 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭✭
    I like George VI coins. The portrait just looks dignified. That being said, I think the whole concept of royalty is a laughable fraud.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice finds, especially without the digging... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Gotta love those kind of finds. A few months ago I found a 1963 Roosie in the Coinstar reject slot of a local grocery store.