Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

I got these 2 Buffs back from grading. Ya wanna try and and guess how they turned out? Grades revea

crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭✭
I just received these 2 Buffs back from pcgs for grading. The 26-d I know for sure I posted when I purchased it, not sure about the 13-s type 2. This type 2 has some serious cashing on both obverse and reverse and the color I find attractive along with better than average luster. So, here they are again, but now they've been graded. Ya wanna take a stab at the grades?
Thanks for looking, Joe

imageimage

imageimage
The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    MS63
    MS64
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MS63
    AU58

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    1926....ms60...might be a ms61 "IF" bumped for luster
    if this was in a typical "out of focus ebay image"...i'd be guessing it to be a f/vf
    nice 3 half feathers as i don't see a single feather that qualifies as one...image

1913...ms62

very tricky ones to even guess a grade on

are you on a strike from "strike"
    as that other 16-d gtg thread has me worried ol crazyhounddog...image

buffalo nickels do look sweet in "fully struck condition" too just so ya know...image

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    deltadimemandeltadimeman Posts: 1,036 ✭✭✭
  • Options
    BUFFNIXXBUFFNIXX Posts: 2,701 ✭✭✭✭✭
    ms61 and ms62
    Collector of Buffalo Nickels and other 20th century United States Coinage
    a.k.a "The BUFFINATOR"
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Au & MS61 .....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mercurydimeguymercurydimeguy Posts: 4,625 ✭✭✭✭
    53 and 58
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭✭
    26-D 62, 13-S 63.
  • Options
    BryceMBryceM Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The first one is very hard to grade from an image. Strike is undoubtedly abysmal here, but even considering that, the only visible luster is in protected areas. I'm guessing AU, but that's just a WAG. With this image, anything from XF to MS63 is possible. In-hand it would be much easier to tell.

The second one looks MS62ish to me.
  • Options
    icsoccericsoccer Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    Great pair for GTG.
    26- 62
    13 - 64 I admit I like this one a lot….
    Successful BST transactions to date: Coindeuce, Cohodk, dantheman984, STONE, LeeG, jy8s, jkal, SeaEagleCoins, Hyperion, silverman68,Meltdown,RichieURich,savoyspecial,Barndog
  • Options
    roadrunnerroadrunner Posts: 28,303 ✭✭✭✭✭

I like the 13-s as well. If not for the odd striking issues on "liberty," the date, and other areas it's close to gem.

The 26-d is a good exercise in how an unc coin can look VF. Reminds me of 1903-0 Barber halves.
    Barbarous Relic No More, LSCC -GoldSeek--shadow stats--SafeHaven--321gold
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>MS63
    MS64
    image >>

My first thought

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭
    AU55
    MS65
    .......noticing lots of different guessed grades
  • Options
    I'll say both are MS63
  • Options
    62 & 64 and both. Very nice
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1st one is imageimage
    2nd one is only image

they look a lot better on the big screen instead of the phone.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>1st one is imageimage
    2nd one is only image

they look a lot better on the big screen instead of the phone. >>

Your going to have to do better than this!!! Not understood, does not compute.image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,604 ✭✭✭✭✭
    63, 64+
  • Options
    I've narrowed it down to MS snd MS

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    45 / 55

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

<< <i>63, 64+ >>

This guess wouldnt shock me
  • Options
    TPRCTPRC Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>62

I like the 13-s as well. If not for the odd striking issues on "liberty," the date, and other areas it's close to gem.

The 26-d is a good exercise in how an unc coin can look VF. Reminds me of 1903-0 Barber halves. >>

+1

Tom

• Options
    TallGuyTallGuy Posts: 122 ✭✭
    62/58
    "Can't never Could!"
  • Options
    BigDaddyzBigDaddyz Posts: 1,306 ✭✭✭
    F
    AU55
    Great BST experiences: abitofthisabitofthat, silvercoinsdude, gerard, coinfame, mikescoins, wondercoin
  • Options
    So far only one guy got it right. I'll post the grades here in a bit after I image the slabs.
  • Options
  • Options
    OnWithTheHuntOnWithTheHunt Posts: 1,175 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The 26-d is a good exercise in how an unc coin can look VF. >>

Well said. Usually love your Buffs, Joe, but the weak strike on this one doesn't appeal. Maybe a 62.
    On the other hand, I'd take the 13-S in a heartbeat. Really like the toning. Appears to have some wear on the hip. I'd give it a 58
    Proud recipient of the coveted "You Suck Award" (9/3/10).
  • Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,616 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1926-D F12 DETAILS, Net MS63 image

I don't know how anyone can even grade 1926-D Buffaloes sometimes. The Denver mint wasn't trying hard enough when they struck these.
  • Options
    koynekwestkoynekwest Posts: 10,048 ✭✭✭✭✭
    "26-D-61; 13-S-58.
  • Options
    Problem with the '26-D isn't as much of a weak strike as it is with a worn out die.
  • Options
    If the 1913-s graded out AU can I buy it for AU "ask?" image

I wasn't aware of how little the price spread is on this date from XF40 to MS62. From AU50 to AU58 there's almost no difference....therefore, eye appeal would play a big role in separating those.
  • Options
    I guess I'm a disenchanted newbie to coin collecting. I thought coins were graded on a scale of 1-70 based on details. I didn't know they were graded on a curve based on strike. I guess we don't want to offend the weak strikes. I call them how I see them. I call a spade a spade. I'm glad I collect mostly raw coins and I think this makes me want to stay away from the graded coins that much more. I cant believe they would grade a coin ms 63 in the link below and throw out a coin that may or may not have been cleaned. I would be much happier with a verification service to make sure the coins are genuine than someones opinion of what a coin grades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-D-Buffalo-Indian-Head-Nickel-NGC-MS63-Q2445-/361112688447?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5413fe573f[/L]

This coin has no face, no front feet and no tail (on reverse)

Sorry I didn't know how to attach link.
  • Options

<< <i>I guess I'm a disenchanted newbie to coin collecting. I thought coins were graded on a scale of 1-70 based on details. I didn't know they were graded on a curve based on strike. I guess we don't want to offend the weak strikes. I call them how I see them. I call a spade a spade. I'm glad I collect mostly raw coins and I think this makes me want to stay away from the graded coins that much more. I cant believe they would grade a coin ms 63 in the link below and throw out a coin that may or may not have been cleaned. I would be much happier with a verification service to make sure the coins are genuine than someones opinion of what a coin grades.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1926-D-Buffalo-Indian-Head-Nickel-NGC-MS63-Q2445-/361112688447?pt=Coins_US_Individual&hash=item5413fe573f[/L]

This coin has no face, no front feet and no tail (on reverse)

Sorry I didn't know how to attach link. >>

I think I've got step 1 down:
    It is worn?
    Yes - 0-58(+)
    No - 60-70

And Step 2 is the place where debate can lie:
    Worn - how worn? well a weak strike and make it look more worn than one with a strong strike. The idea is to grade it based off how much metal is gone by looking at the details... but also considering the strike. If it is a weak strike then it will appear to have more metal removed, but in reality that is not true. So, some correction is given for that.

Not Worn - what are the other issues like bag marks and spots? as far as I know strike does not come into play here unless it is an eye appeal issue factored into the + for PCGS.

So, forumites, am I a kool-aid drinker here?

• Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 996 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So far only one guy got it right. I'll post the grades here in a bit after I image the slabs. >>

I don't think 2 people have come up with the same grades.
    Also, was it me?
  • Options
    MS and MS

For
    the
    Win!

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    61 and 64 ?
  • Options
    OK, I think forum member type2 is the only one that got it right as they are 26-d ms-63 and the 13-s type 2 is au-58 and he did it really fast to boot!! I know for sure it's tough to grade coins from images so I'll say you all did well. It's tough for me to see the tiny bit of rub that keeps this 13-s type 2 from being a VERY nice ms piece. The 26-d is as what one of you said is a good educational buffalo nickel specimen to learn from as it was struck from over extended dies, but no rub. Also possibly the dies were set to far apart to achieve a better strike even from worn to the bone dies . Thanks to all for playing along and for the nice complements on the coins. Joe

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭
    well crap
    with these secondary images i feel ripped off or something here...image
    if i went to sell them...i'd use images #2 image

sweet examples there crazyhounddog
    thanks for sharing part of the herd
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options

<< <i>well crap
    with these secondary images i feel ripped off or something here...image
    if i went to sell them...i'd use images #2 image

sweet examples there crazyhounddog
    thanks for sharing part of the herd >>

Anything for my buddy Ted.
  • Options
    If that is AU58 then I'll eat what's leftover after ryk eats his ipad!

• Options
    duplicate
  • Options
    duplicate
  • Options
    duplicate.

Shaky system right now. Nothing takes. And then all the posts you thought you deleted all show up at once. image
  • Options

<< <i>If that is AU58 then I'll eat what's leftover after ryk eats his ipad! >>

It only came back AU58 once. That doesn't mean that on another try it can't come back MS. It might also be true that these coins are not 4 grades apart. They were on this day.
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 8,971 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would've said 58 on the '26-D and 65 on the '13-S!!!

“I may not believe in myself but I believe in what I’m doing” ~Jimmy Page~

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947)

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• Options
    That '26-D looks much more lustrous in the slab than on the initial image.
  • Options

<< <i>That '26-D looks much more lustrous in the slab than on the initial image. >>

Honestly the 26-d is pretty low on luster. I believe the 26-d got the grade of 63 because of the few blemishes associated with this particular one, the strike is mostly found mushy. I believe it would have graded 61/62 if there were more hits or bag marks. For this date big strikes and luster are pretty far in between. You can find them and you'll also find a large price tag with em. Thanks to all for playing along. Joe
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That '26-D looks much more lustrous in the slab than on the initial image. >>

I was thinking the same thing.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file