Home Precious Metals
Options

I Wish

BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
That the U.S. Mint would reconfigure the green monster box to a 5 x 5 so that it would fit into a large flat rate box. Anyone know what it costs to ship one by UPS, FEDEX, U.S. mail, etc?

Comments

• Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭
    It would be cool if they sold half box size too... Some of us can't reach the cheese that it takes to pull the trigger on a full Monster.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I prefer to just chip away.... never contemplated a monster box.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer to just chip away.... never contemplated a monster box.... Cheers, RickO >>

My annual goals are a lot smaller than a Monster, that said... If I had the cash flow to be able to put a Monster back per year... I would do so. Sadly... I'm not smart enough to have to cash flow...lol.
  • Options
    Timbuk3Timbuk3 Posts: 11,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great idea !!! image
    Timbuk3
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,219 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'd have to look it up but I think APs purchase increments are in +500 ozt

What are the outer dimensions of a MB?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

<< <i>I'd have to look it up but I think APs purchase increments are in +500 ozt

What are the outer dimensions of a MB? >>

A silver eagle tube is about 2 inches x 2 inches. A MB currently is 4 tubes x 7 tubes. At 5 tubes x 5 tubes a MB should be 11 inches by 11 inches or so. A large flat rate box is 12 inches by 12 inches. Almost a perfect fit IMO.

Pic borrowed from DBScoins.

• Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It would be cool if they sold half box size too... Some of us can't reach the cheese that it takes to pull the trigger on a full Monster. >>

True...I want one but didn't buy back in 2002-2004 when I thought about it, and now I am not going to buy one even at current prices.
    However, the USMint doesn't sell these direct to us, they sell only to a few ARs (authorized resellers) so, for them, 500oz at a time makes sense. Heck, we should be happy they aren't sold 1000 in a box.

As for the OP.....I don't have a monster box, so I don't know, given 25 tubes, how much "extra" room is in the box that could be gotten away from.

Could you imagine someone stuffing 25 tubes in a large flat rate and not packing it correctly? Silver all of the USPS floor image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

• Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,212 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>That the U.S. Mint would reconfigure the green monster box to a 5 x 5 so that it would fit into a large flat rate box. Anyone know what it costs to ship one by UPS, FEDEX, U.S. mail, etc? >>

Unless one has private insurance I believe only USPS registered will honor an insurance claim on bullion. Cheapest route would be to remove tubes from green box, ship them large flat rate registered mail and ship the empty monster box separately.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>It would be cool if they sold half box size too... Some of us can't reach the cheese that it takes to pull the trigger on a full Monster. >>

True...I want one but didn't buy back in 2002-2004 when I thought about it, and now I am not going to buy one even at current prices.
    However, the USMint doesn't sell these direct to us, they sell only to a few ARs (authorized resellers) so, for them, 500oz at a time makes sense. Heck, we should be happy they aren't sold 1000 in a box.

As for the OP.....I don't have a monster box, so I don't know, given 25 tubes, how much "extra" room is in the box that could be gotten away from.

Could you imagine someone stuffing 25 tubes in a large flat rate and not packing it correctly? Silver all of the USPS floor image >>

I have contemplated a MB a time or 2, but shy away because of the shipping costs if I ever sold it as is. The idea is to sell it intact and unopened as opposed to packing the rolls separately so that you're assured it isn't searched. One can get 7 tubes into a small flat rate box. You can easily get 4 or maybe even 5 small flat rate boxes into a medium flat rate box.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I prefer to just chip away.... never contemplated a monster box.... Cheers, RickO >>

I remember back in the good ol' days of 2002-3 or so, that a monster box could be had on Tulving for about 3K. Seemed like a lot of money then too. image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>That the U.S. Mint would reconfigure the green monster box to a 5 x 5 so that it would fit into a large flat rate box. Anyone know what it costs to ship one by UPS, FEDEX, U.S. mail, etc? >>

Unless one has private insurance I believe only USPS registered will honor an insurance claim on bullion. Cheapest route would be to remove tubes from green box, ship them large flat rate registered mail and ship the empty monster box separately. >>

That wouldn't protect the integrity of the coins [unsearched] tho. Of course if one uses the USPS it's registered. No experience with FEDEX or UPS for bullion and no plans to. If one is going to open the box, then use medium flat rate not large box.
  • Options
    WildIdeaWildIdea Posts: 1,875 ✭✭✭✭✭

That why it's called a Monster!

For me, Eagles are only remotely interesting as a nice OZ of silver. I guess if you put enough average items in a pile it can achieve a higher level of desirability.
  • Options

<< <i>

That why it's called a Monster!

For me, Eagles are only remotely interesting as a nice OZ of silver. I guess if you put enough average items in a pile it can achieve a higher level of desirability. >>

If one is buying them for resale, it is usually the most economical way to buy them.