Home Precious Metals
Options

Opinions on investing...

I am thinking about investing in a monster box of silver eagles. I am not trying to flip them quickly. I can wait. What do you think? I was considering the stock market but I am not too educated in that area. Do you think a monster box is a good idea with prices the way they are right now?

Comments

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    If u r asking, then u r not educated in this area of investment neither...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    If the near $10,000 does not affect your ability to handle other expenses, I think it is a wise move at current prices. Apmex is a good source for that type of purchase.
  • Options
    dantheman984dantheman984 Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If the near $10,000 does not affect your ability to handle other expenses, I think it is a wise move at current prices. Apmex is a good source for that type of purchase. >>

no, it would not affect me. Thank you for your opinion. appreciate it.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>If the near $10,000 does not affect your ability to handle other expenses, I think it is a wise move at current prices. Apmex is a good source for that type of purchase. >>

no, it would not affect me. Thank you for your opinion. appreciate it. >>

I think ProvidentMetals has the best price until tomorrow.
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭
    check prices at dbscoins.com

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    Yes, I saw that with Provident. I will check out dbs too. Thanks.
  • Options
    PokermandudePokermandude Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭
    I think prices are pretty good right now. Although we may well see a bit more of a decline in the near future.

<< <i>If u r asking, then u r not educated in this area of investment neither... >>

This looks like a text message that a 13 year old would send.
    http://stores.ebay.ca/Mattscoin - Canadian coins, World Coins, Silver, Gold, Coin lots, Modern Mint Products & Collections
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,994 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

no, it would not affect me. Thank you for your opinion. appreciate it. >>

I think ProvidentMetals has the best price until tomorrow. >>

Or until 5 pm CST today when spot price re-opens. $8950 delivered for a greenie from Provident.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You should plan on holding long term......Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>You should plan on holding long term......Cheers, RickO >>

I saw a video on YouTube the other day that just firmed up my approach to PMs... Basically, like RickO said, long term. Usually when I purchase, it's to put up and forget about. I have sold only once that I can remember, for a very good reason and not under pressure. Otherwise, every purchase has been added to the small stack.

To each their own though. Best of luck with your purchase.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would set the money aside and not buy until prices are on the way back up. At this point, I don't think anyone can say that yet.

Normally, I would say to "average in" over time, but a green monster box can be good if you come in somewhere close to the bottom of the market. Right now, I'd say that we're closer to the bottom than we've been for awhile. Stay primed.

I like a larger purchase like this for accounting purposes also. If you eventually sell it piecemeal, you will be using the same cost basis for every roll, which simplifies the recordkeeping.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I think prices are pretty good right now. Although we may well see a bit more of a decline in the near future.

<< <i>If u r asking, then u r not educated in this area of investment neither... >>

This looks like a text message that a 13 year old would send. >>

Lol, truth is independent of age... ALot of nice smoke blowers here though...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    OperationButterOperationButter Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭
    I think we are going to experience some additional decline due to the "No" vote today by the Swiss. Its a good excuse to let a few of the big shorts knock an additional 2% off. If I was buying a monster, Id hold off just a bit to see how this news works out.
    Gold is for savings. Fiat is for transactions.

BST Transactions (as the seller): Collectall, GRANDAM, epcjimi1, wondercoin, jmski52, wheathoarder, jay1187, jdsueu, grote15, airplanenut, bigole
  • Options
    Thanks everyone. Appreciate the responses. I went ahead with dbs coins. Provident was sold out.
  • Options
    ARCOARCO Posts: 4,317 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am thinking about investing in a monster box of silver eagles. I am not trying to flip them quickly. I can wait. What do you think? I was considering the stock market but I am not too educated in that area. Do you think a monster box is a good idea with prices the way they are right now? >>

Buying today is a helluva lot better than buying that same box three years ago, so you couldn't do too bad, especially if you intend to hold for a while.

My thinking is this: Every seven years or thereabouts, we have a big financial crisis, stuff sells off, people turn bearish and the world seems like it is about to end. 2015 is that seventh year after the 2008 crisis. I am going to wait for that inevitable sell-off and see where prices land. I have been saving cash for seven years. I want to do like Buffett this time around; buy when there is fear and when prices have oversold.

If it never comes, then I still have all that saved cash.

Tyelr
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great timing, Dan!image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭
    "I have been saving cash for seven years."

You have missed a historic run up in the equities market.
    Cash has lost value due to inflation.
    Trying to "wait" until a crash is market timing.....nearly impossible to do in reality.
    I am no expert, just sayin'
    Good luck(to us all!).
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options

<< <i>"I have been saving cash for seven years."

You have missed a historic run up in the equities market.
    Cash has lost value due to inflation.
    Trying to "wait" until a crash is market timing.....nearly impossible to do in reality.
    I am no expert, just sayin'
    Good luck(to us all!). >>

True. Of course, it was historic due to reflation efforts by central banks...who knew, right? I have realized that I am a "buy high, sell low" kind of stock market investor. After losing in the last two crashes, I realized that I do not have the temperament for stocks. Besides, I didn't have a lot of cash back when the market was at bargain prices. Most of the cash I have saved has been last year and this. So, diving in the markets at these elevated levels is higher risk.

I will save this post and we can revisit it after the next stock market correction. Then we will catch up about missing the historic run, and who missed what. image I can tell you this with total confidence; the market will correct in a big way. My cash will buy assets that others can't.

Tyler
  • Options
    dupe
  • Options
    It was pretty good timing. (not that I knew what was going to happen) When I woke up this morning, I could not believe the price of a box was up $500 to $600 more!
  • Options
    smallchangesmallchange Posts: 192 ✭✭✭
    sell sell sell... just kidding

Jim
    Successful BST transactions with lkenefic, AnkurJ, ajia, stephunter, No lawyer
  • Options
    s4nys4ny Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭
    Stock market is rising, but not a bargain.

Silver is cheap but unpredictable.
  • Options
    DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Long term, I believe it's one of the safest places to put your money.
    "Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,217 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Long term, I believe it's one of the safest places to put your money. >>

This is exactly why long-term thinking central banks who want to be prepared for inflation protection are hoarding gold. Short-term thinking central banks who think they can prevent runaway inflation are hoarding low interest rates.

Give Me Liberty or Give Me Debt

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,858 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think swimming in is better than just dipping the toes or wading (waiting). As an investment, there's no better time like the present. (just a humble opinion)
  • Options
    morbidstevemorbidsteve Posts: 571 ✭✭✭
    Based on what you've said, I think it is a good idea (which is why I bought more than one monster box at a dip). I would suggest watching comparesilverprices.com to find the best prices. I ended up using provident, and have noticed they almost always have the best price on monster boxes, and they are excellent to deal with.
  • Options
    fishcookerfishcooker Posts: 3,446 ✭✭
    If it doesn't affect you, then why bother with the efforts to accomplish it?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that's what I was thinking, if you can drop $10k and not miss it, will you notice another $10k, if your investment doubles?

<< <i>

>>no, it would not affect me. Thank you for your opinion. appreciate it.<< >>

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry