Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

is this quarter a ddr or strike doubling

1958 buisness strike below a 1965 ms above to compare
the doubling really stands out on "e pluribus unum"...that "E" looks way distorted and strong as with the "B"...one can see a B over B
this eagles "EYE" area looks way distorted too

UNUM....only the last "U" displays spread...if strike doubled wouldn't all letters display same spread?
when one looks at last "U" of unum...can easily see 2 top planes and bottoms but the "N" next to it...looks fine

thanks in advance to any and all replies
everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I see something on the right upright of the first U of UNUM, not the second U, but I can't tell what it is.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,565 ✭✭✭✭✭
    And FWIW, strike doubling can be extremely random.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And FWIW, strike doubling can be extremely random. >>

thanks capt

yeah that random note is where i get lost <<<not implying you're wrong...respectfully...hopefully you don't take that wrong
    as i would think it affects an area or region

so it can be random/selective or isolated too...all the more reason i'll toss up a suspect then
    i know coneca didn't list a 58-p business ddr but one in proof

looks like i'll pass...thanks too

looks like a spitting eagle ?...if they're worth anything?
    these finer intricacies are beyond me

if anyone is interested it's ebay #271684393652
    this seller accepts best offer and have had great luck with them on offers

everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    just reflection.

it happens a lot on proofs when imaging but can happen on ms as well.

i got nailed by this effect a few times. then i finally trained my eyes to see it.

fwiw, you can have the reflection and doubling making it extra fun. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    tincuptincup Posts: 4,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree that it looks like the reflections of the photography playing tricks. Even when I go to the ebay site, which allows a closeup look of the coin, I do not see any doubling.

Noticed there is a die scratch dropping below the eagle's beak... kind of like a spittin eagle for those who like that sort of thing...
    ----- kj
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The E and S in states looks like major doubling...unless that is photographic distortion....Cheers, RickO

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file