Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

50th Anniversary JFK UNC two coin set - No 70's!!??

Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3

Comments

• Options
    GoldbullyGoldbully Posts: 16,862 ✭✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,937 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm wondering if this set might be a sleeper and a good value at $9.95. Product limit is 200k, and these could be considered by many collectors to be part of the regular Kennedy set.

2014-PD Kennedy half, clad, type of 1964.

If by any chance the 2015 Kennedys continue with the 1964 portrait, the 2014 releases will likely benefit as the first year of the "restored" portrait.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    spotthedogspotthedog Posts: 313 ✭✭✭
    These are on backorder at the mint. There is an hourglass next to them, and the word "limited".
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,472 ✭✭✭✭
    I am not surprised that there arem't any 70's or 69's for that matter since these are CnClad planchet stock for a business strike "high relief" coin.

Check the population reports and get back with any MS69 or MS70 1964 through 1974 Kennedy's which are the large profile high relief design being produced.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    LanLordLanLord Posts: 11,681 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm waiting for the 50th anniversary "sandwich/40% clad" half dollar set in 2015. They will have the same four types as the 2014 set (PROOF, Reverse PROOF, Enhanced Unc and Unc., but none will have mint marks.

Gotta have that, right? RIGHT?
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    Why didn't PCGS offer a Proof Like version of the clad for this example. Seems Proof Like or maybe not.

50th Anniversary Proof Like Clad

I ordered two more sets of the clad set, hopefully they were not returns. Hoping they are using new dies for the next production run.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    On backorder.... wanted to order a set, but have to wait.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>Why didn't PCGS offer a Proof Like version of the clad for this example. Seems Proof Like or maybe not.

50th Anniversary Proof Like Clad

I ordered two more sets of the clad set, hopefully they were not returns. Hoping they are using new dies for the next production run. >>

Personally, I do not think that there is enough contrast between the Profile and the fields for this one to be considered PL.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options

<< <i>I am not surprised that there arem't any 70's or 69's for that matter since these are CnClad planchet stock for a business strike "high relief" coin.

Check the population reports and get back with any MS69 or MS70 1964 through 1974 Kennedy's which are the large profile high relief design being produced. >>

I'll stand corrected since PCGS has a number of SP69 Coins.

91 2014-P First Strike Slabs

and

52 2014-D First Strike Slabs.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    aclocoacloco Posts: 952 ✭✭✭
    Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

I purchased 5 sets. I don't know that I have any 69's in the bunch. 40% of the coins have a scratch (not on the holder).
    Successful BST transactions with: jp84, WaterSport, Stupid, tychojoe, Swampboy, dragon, Jkramer, savoyspecial, ajaan, tyedye, ProofCollection, Broadstruck x2, TwinTurbo, lordmarcovan, devious, bumanchu, AUandAG, Collectorcoins (2x), staircoins, messydesk, illini420, nolawyer (10x & counting), peaceman, bruggs, agentjim007, ElmerFusterpuck, WinLoseWin, RR, WaterSports, KeyLargRareCoins, LindeDad, Flatwoods, cucamongacoin, grote15, UtahCoin, NewParadigm, smokincoin, sawyerjosh x3
  • Options
    pf70collectorpf70collector Posts: 6,504 ✭✭✭
    I purchased two more sets from the mint last week. Must have been the last of the run or someone's returns. Maybe the next run will be produced with fresh dies.
  • Options
    ianrussellianrussell Posts: 2,454 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The condition is definitely mixed on these sets - even the 68/69s I've seen are not that nice.

I ordered some two weeks ago just because they seem cheap at $10 a set.

- Ian
    Ian Russell
    Owner/Founder GreatCollections
    GreatCollections Coin Auctions - Certified Coin Auctions Every Week - Rare Coins & Coin Values

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file