Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Can an eagle legally be on a US cent today?

ZoinsZoins Posts: 33,917 ✭✭✭✭✭
Michael Moran mentions that law forbids the eagle from appearing on the cent in his 2008 book "Striking Change: The Great Artistic Collaboration of Theodore Roosevelt and Augustus Saint-Gaudens." This was given as the reason why the Saint Gaudens eagle design wasn't used for the cent.

Of course, we have the Flying Eagle Cent from the mid-1800s so two things of interest came to mind: (a) is Michael Moran correct on that a cent cannot bear an eagle today, and (b) if so, which law in what year prohibited it?

Comments

• Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,566 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not aware of any such prohibition.

Let's ask Roger Burdette.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,446 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not aware of any such prohibition.

Let's ask Roger Burdette. >>

You'll have to ask him on the NGC coin forum since he is banned here.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    That doesn't make any sense. If the eagle can be on other denominations, why not the cent? image
  • Options
    messydeskmessydesk Posts: 19,706 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All I'm aware of is that there was a law that stated an eagle must appear on the circulating quarter, half, and dollar, unless superseded by a law authorizing a design coin omitting it (for example, bicentennial coinage, 50 state quarters, ATB quarters, Nat. Am. Sacs). Now that I think of it, there are no coins currently made for circulation that have an eagle on them that were once supposed to. If I recall, the Kennedy half is only made for collectors, and is not made for circulation through normal channels.
  • Options

<< <i>All I'm aware of is that there was a law that stated an eagle must appear on the circulating quarter, half, and dollar, unless superseded by a law authorizing a design coin omitting it (for example, bicentennial coinage, 50 state quarters, ATB quarters, Nat. Am. Sacs). Now that I think of it, there are no coins currently made for circulation that have an eagle on them that were once supposed to. If I recall, the Kennedy half is only made for collectors, and is not made for circulation through normal channels. >>

That's a good observation. People wanted Lady Liberty back so she was brought back on the reverse of the Presidential Dollars. Now we may need a campaign to get the eagle back.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have not heard of such a law.... why would the cent be singled out? Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    3keepSECRETif2rDEAD3keepSECRETif2rDEAD Posts: 4,285 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not heard of such a law.... why would the cent be singled out? Cheers, RickO >>

...it just doesn't make any cents image

Erik
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,527 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have not heard of such a law.... why would the cent be singled out? Cheers, RickO >>

i never heard of that one either. one never knows though.
  • Options
    dengadenga Posts: 903 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Michael Moran mentions that law forbids the eagle from appearing on the cent in his 2008 book "Striking Change: The Great Artistic Collaboration of Theodore Roosevelt and Augustus Saint-Gaudens." This was given as the reason why the Saint Gaudens eagle design wasn't used for the cent.

Of course, we have the Flying Eagle Cent from the mid-1800s so two things of interest came to mind: (a) is Michael Moran correct on that a cent cannot bear an eagle today, and (b) if so, which law in what year prohibited it? >>

The coinage act of February 1873, as codified in June 1874 (Section 3517), specifically bans the eagle
    from the cent as well as certain other coins.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    if Bob Julian said it, you can take it to the bank

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Michael Moran mentions that law forbids the eagle from appearing on the cent in his 2008 book "Striking Change: The Great Artistic Collaboration of Theodore Roosevelt and Augustus Saint-Gaudens." This was given as the reason why the Saint Gaudens eagle design wasn't used for the cent.

Of course, we have the Flying Eagle Cent from the mid-1800s so two things of interest came to mind: (a) is Michael Moran correct on that a cent cannot bear an eagle today, and (b) if so, which law in what year prohibited it? >>

The coinage act of February 1873, as codified in June 1874 (Section 3517), specifically bans the eagle from the cent as well as certain other coins. >>

Thanks! Great info. This is what makes these forums so great imageimage

Here's a quote from Section 3517:

<< <i>on the gold dollar and three-dollar piece, the dime, five, three, and one cent piece, the figure of the eagle shall be omitted. >>

• Options
    <<The coinage act of February 1873, as codified in June 1874 (Section 3517), specifically bans the eagle
    from the cent as well as certain other coins.>>

I can't find it in today's United States Code.

However it is illegal to put an eagle as the main device on a nickel - 31 USC (d) (1). Jefferson and Monticello by law since 2005 are the design for the nickel.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>The coinage act of February 1873, as codified in June 1874 (Section 3517), specifically bans the eagle from the cent as well as certain other coins. >>

I can't find it in today's United States Code. >>

Has the Coinage Act of 1873 been completely superceded?

<< <i>However it is illegal to put an eagle as the main device on a nickel - 31 USC (d) (1). Jefferson and Monticello by law since 2005 are the design for the nickel. >>

I'm not surprised. There was strong lobbying from the State of Virginia for the Return to Monticello around that time period. This article quotes ANA Executive Director, Ed Rochette:

<< <i>Rochette believes the strong lobbying from Virginia legislators will secure Monticello's spot for the long haul. "I doubt the design will change," he says, with the exception of the three-year bicentennial. And if there ever is a permanent change, "It won't be in our lifetime," he concludes confidently. >>

Are we ready to have Monticello for the rest of our lifetimes?
  • Options
    <<Has the Coinage Act of 1873 been complete superceded?>>

I believe so. There was a complete recodification of the currency and coinage some years back. (I am tempted to say a FEW years, but probably would be wrong)
    Under the previous version Spanish coins of less than 8 reals were receivable at post offices for 80% of face. The Coinage Act of 1965 was rewritten in the new version.
  • Options

My original thought was because the coins with eagles tended to be silver and gold while the cent was a base metal. The Coinage Act of 1792 said that the silver and gold coins would have an eagle on the reverse and the copper coins would have the denomination on the reverse.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Has the Coinage Act of 1873 been complete superceded? >>

I believe so. There was a complete recodification of the currency and coinage some years back. (I am tempted to say a FEW years, but probably would be wrong)
    Under the previous version Spanish coins of less than 8 reals were receivable at post offices for 80% of face. The Coinage Act of 1965 was rewritten in the new version. >>

The Coinage Act of 1965 explicitly repeals Section 9 of the Act of March 14, 1900 (31 Stat. 48; 31 U.S.C 32) and Section 3550 of the Revised Statutes (31 U.S.C. 366).

It would be interesting to know if the Coinage Act of 1873 was specifically repealed, either in its entirety or the clause specifying the eagle design.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The wording says 'omitted', not 'prohibited'....and I would wager the 141 year old statement has long been superseded...Cheers, RickO
  • Options

<< <i>I would wager the 141 year old statement has long been superseded... >>

We do have many government laws over 141 years old that haven't been superseded, and since the repealed sections are explicitly cited, it may be useful to find an explicit clause for this as well.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file