Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Low Grade Draped Bust Quarters Just Back from PCGS

grote15grote15 Posts: 29,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
Despite its limited run, the draped bust quarter has always been one of my favorite issues from this era along with the large cent. I enjoy collecting lower grade circulated examples, and occasionally send a couple/few in to PCGS for grading. I just got these two back today and thought I'd share a couple of pics.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    They have served their job well. I like draped bust quarters also but they sure do get expensive fast don't they, once you get above Fine grade.
  • Options
    Here are a couple others...

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    NumisOxideNumisOxide Posts: 10,989 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Those could tell some stories for sure. Nice lower grade pieces.
  • Options
    I bet it took a while for you to find such choice low grade examples

Dozens of BST deals completed, including: kalshacon, cucamongacoin, blu62vette, natetrook, JGNumismatics, Coinshowman, DollarAfterDollar, timbuk3, jimdimmick & many more
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like them.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Outstanding.
    That 1807 AG3 is just prefect in my eyes.

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    I, too, collect the Draped Bust Quarters. Nice, honest coins you have there!!
    Official recipient of the "You Suck" Award (Oct. 2011)
  • Options
    BustCudsBustCuds Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭

Very nice problem-free pieces image
  • Options
    hchcoinhchcoin Posts: 4,825 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice looking coins. Great color. Still trying to figure out what is between the slabs in the second picture image
  • Options
    DIMEMANDIMEMAN Posts: 22,403 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice coins grote. That's the nice thing about Bust coinage.....they don't have to be high grade to be neat. image
  • Options
    Thanks, guys, I appreciate the kind words! I love these lower grade pieces for certain issues, like draped bust and pole and cap large cents, too, of which I also have a few in same grade.

Goldoin98~Yes, I have about 7-8 of these now, all from 1806-1807, which took me about 3-4 years to acquire. I like the "cameo effect" on the obverse on a couple of them.

hchcoin~I put these coins up on an old wooden fence at the back of my yard. That is a pod from one of the trees overhead. I was shooting for the rustic look, lol..

Here's one more, an 1806/5.

• Options
    thisnamztakenthisnamztaken Posts: 4,101 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like the DBQ series a lot. I think your 1807 AG03 is a tad under graded - at least a G04 even though "America" is quite worn.
    I never thought that growing old would happen so fast.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Double post deleted.
    - Jim
  • Options
    Accidental double post deleted.
    - Jim
  • Options
    zap1111zap1111 Posts: 1,298 ✭✭
    Thanks for sharing these. I agree, it's a very handsome coin in the lower grades.
    zap1111
    102 capped bust half dollars - 100 die marriages
    BHNC #198
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>They have served their job well. I like draped bust quarters also but they sure do get expensive fast don't they, once you get above Fine grade. >>

Isn't that the truth. I have "tire kicked" the idea of doing a date set beyond the 1807 I have for type, but 1804 is a stopper. I tend only want coins in VF or better with my real aim toward Choice EF or AU.

Those are nice circulated pieces, grote15. It doesn't take much to have wear get into the tops of the letters on these coins. When I was dealer I had a couple of raw ones that I graded Fine, which had tiny bit of wear into the top of one of the reverse letters. One guy tried to tell the coin was AG ... YEA RIGHT ... Nice try.

Part of the problem with some of them, in addition to the fact that the rims don't provide much protection, is that the dies were out of alignment when the coins were struck. That resulted in the right or left side of coin being weaker than the opposing side. My 1807 is like that. The coin is a strict AU, but if it had been in circulation for any time at all it would gone to VF and then Fine very quickly because the design details were very delicate.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,505 ✭✭✭✭✭
    they look really good. i like that 1806 image
  • Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    I like that 1807 G04 image
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice looking coins. Great color. Still trying to figure out what is between the slabs in the second picture image >>

Looks to me like a bean. A non-CAC bean, but still a bean. imageimage
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice Dovetail Gray (Braddick) quarters. Looks like you have a good start on an 07 lowball grading set.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice enough coins. The slabs do nothing for me, do not tell me anything that I don't know about the raw coin, and hinder the visual, tactile, and photographic enjoyment of the coins, imo

Now if they said what die variety and die state they are, what relative rarity in the series they are, had a description of the degree of die cracks, damage if any, surface qualities, etc, then ok

Makes sense to slab them for sale, but when I buy coins like this and they're in holders, even PCGS, I crack em back out right away and feel the history

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree with Baley. The plastic takes something away from coins like this. I love PCGS plastic for high grade and key dates, but not for coins like this
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    These are both impressive coins. I like em both!!image
    The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file