Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Buffalo Nickel Market

erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
Anyone know or have an idea if the market for buffalo nickels is up, down or flat? Its a series I haven't dealt with in about a year. I have been considering making some additions to my meager herd.

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As always, high quality, tarnished or rare items are pricey, others depend on the dealer and economics... but you knew that...imageimage Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As always, high quality, tarnished or rare items are pricey, others depend on the dealer and economics... but you knew that...imageimage Cheers, RickO >>

------------------------------------------------

Should not tarnished coins be sold at a discount?

Only makes sense to me imageimageimageimageimage

GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my very limited experience it seems the market is strong.
  • Options
    breakdownbreakdown Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think it really depends on what part of the market you are talking about. I sold my Ray Levoi business strike set in the 2014 CSNS auction and was overall pleased with the results. These were all PCGS, mostly CAC and higher grade. There are a lot of high end NGC Buffalos that have sat pretty dead for a number of years for various reasons and I don't see this changing any time soon. Any question that a coin may have been messed with (and a lot of Buffalos were messed with - toning that may have squeezed by a decade or so ago are no longer MA) and it becomes a pariah in the marketplace and particularly in auction. You can spot them pretty easily when you go through the realized prices in auction and coins that failed to meet reserve.

My short answer, given your three choices, would be flat (not up or down) but probably better than the coin market in general. I love the series and miss some of my coins -- good luck with your herd.

"Look up, old boy, and see what you get." -William Bonney.

• Options
    FYI most people know Angel Dees for copper but they also experts on Buffs.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI most people know Angel Dees for copper but they also experts on Buffs. >>

Are they pretty reasonable with payment terms? Flexible with some of their pricing? They have major eye candy, but I've never dealt with them personally. Some of their buffs seem really high, but I reallly like them!
  • Options
    Walkerguy21DWalkerguy21D Posts: 11,147 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Re: Angel Dee's - I saw that complete toned set that they have listed, at the Summer FUN show - it's a sight to behold!

Successful BST transactions with 170 members. Recent: Tonedeaf, Shane6596, Piano1, Ikenefic, RG, PCGSPhoto, stman, Don'tTelltheWife, Boosibri, Ron1968, snowequities, VTchaser, jrt103, SurfinxHI, 78saen, bp777, FHC, RYK, JTHawaii, Opportunity, Kliao, bigtime36, skanderbeg, split37, thebigeng, acloco, Toninginthblood, OKCC, braddick, Coinflip, robcool, fastfreddie, tightbudget, DBSTrader2, nickelsciolist, relaxn, Eagle eye, soldi, silverman68, ElKevvo, sawyerjosh, Schmitz7, talkingwalnut2, konsole, sharkman987, sniocsu, comma, jesbroken, David1234, biosolar, Sullykerry, Moldnut, erwindoc, MichaelDixon, GotTheBug
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭
    I think it's flat overall.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    Andy sells great coins and is easy to deal with, you can learn a lot just listening to him.
  • Options
    crazyhounddogcrazyhounddog Posts: 13,810 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I bought this Buff from Andy and it's my favorite Buff in my collection. Not the highest graded 21 Buff just the prettiest 21 on the planet.

The bitterness of "Poor Quality" is remembered long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>As always, high quality, tarnished or rare items are pricey, others depend on the dealer and economics... but you knew that...imageimage Cheers, RickO >>

GrandAm image >>

I think the better terminology would be toned. See the coin above and tell me if that 21 should be sold at a discount.

I would pay a premium all day for that one.
  • Options
    toyz4geotoyz4geo Posts: 1,467 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I bought this Buff from Andy and it's my favorite Buff in my collection. Not the highest graded 21 Buff just the prettiest 21 on the planet.

image >>

I would not dispute that one bitimage
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,373 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

GrandAm image >>

I think the better terminology would be toned. See the coin above and tell me if that 21 should be sold at a discount.

I would pay a premium all day for that one. >>

----------------------------------------------------------

I don't necessarily dislike toned coins,,,,, I am just not willing to pay the premiums that are often associated with such pieces.

JMHO, GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file