Home World & Ancient Coins Forum

Question about Sending coins to Russia

I've sold a low value coin to a Russian buyer and the address Ebay has given me is bizarre.

After the buyers name line 2 is this image

"1-moscow travel the house 10 apartament 6"

I have a feeling its incorrect in the sense that its been mangled by a computer translation. I have asked for clarification but have not heard back yet.

If I don't hear back I was thinking of drawing a picture of a street with houses and then circling the 6th window in the tenth house on the envelope to increase the chances of a successful transaction.

It's only a $3.25 cent auction nothing traumatic about it , but I want the buyer to get his coin .

Comments

• WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,034 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Possibly print the original Cyrillic Russian address and tape it to the envelope.

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

That's the funny thing about it , ebay has not provided anything but that pidgin english . If they are translating them electronically now all the time I can see problems arising from that.

Google translate for instance often changes the order of sentences but addresses are a special form of language that really shouldn't be rearranged or subject to whatever you call what was done to that.

• YQQYQQ Posts: 3,264 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I assume you got paid via paypal?
    then they should have the proper address.??
    Today is the first day of the rest of my life

No they haven't paid yet , mainly I was just curious if others have gotten strange addresses recently. I don't normally pester buyers for payment for a few weeks but in this case I sent an ebay message asking for him to clarify the second line of his address , in the interest of smoothing things out . He is a new ebay member so he probably has no idea that the address is displaying oddly but if he is bidding on things and winning there are going to be problems .

• SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can you cut and paste the address and send me a PM? I can check the address to make sure it is okay - and I read and understand Russian.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

I don't know why I didn't think of that. We've done that before actually image
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I used to have a Russian pen pal and we exchanged many coins. Definitely no pidgin English in the address.

I find it strange that the buyer would send you this intentionally. They must have used a translator but why? That's really odd. All you need to do is put "RUSSIA" on the bottom and the USPS will send accordingly.

I don't think eBay does any auto-correction of addresses because I've seen many incorrect addresses (obvious typos entered by the buyer) so why would eBay translate this?
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

That was the official address ebay provided . When you haven't been paid yet and you go to send an invoice that is what pops up.

If you go to send a message through contact buyer , you will see these 3 terrifying words under the box where you type.

Translated by Bing

His name was printed in cyrillic but everything after that was not

<< <i>That was the official address ebay provided . When you haven't been paid yet and you go to send an invoice that is what pops up. >>

That address was provided by the buyer, when they setup their account. EBay simply reveals their contact info to you, but does not conjure it up on their own.

<< <i>If you go to send a message through contact buyer, you will see these 3 terrifying words under the box where you type. Translated by Bing >>

This is relatively new (within the past 8 months?). I haven't seen this before. Still, why would it translate the address? Addresses do not need to be translated. Nor should they ever be translated.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

I've never noticed any translation by Bing before either. I always used google translate to compose a message and then before I sent it , plugged it back into google translate to see if it matched what I wrote. Occasionally it differed and I corrected it before it went out.

Later when the buyer answered I would see my original message quoted exactly as I sent it so I knew it went through untouched.

Now I'm not sure that will be the case anymore. I don't think ebay should be changing one letter of a message let alone translating it unbeknownst to the sender
  • I've shipped to Russia many times and the address format you mentioned seems perfectly normal to me. Same type of address format when shipping to China or Korea. Never had any problems with it.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

Really? You include the English verbs and nouns as well? Or just the numbers? Where does the street name go? image

<< <i>1-moscow travel the house 10 apartament 6 >>

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• However it shows up on the payment notification. Unless you have a buyer with no feedback, most of them will have purchased from English speaking countries before. You can always check their feedback to make sure that they have received coins in the past from English language sellers.

Highly enthusiastic about world coins, contemporary circulating counterfeits and unusual stuff <3

• SYRACUSIANSYRACUSIAN Posts: 6,445 ✭✭✭✭
    1-moscow travel the house 10 apartament 6"

Communist architecture at its best. It even lacks the charm of going through three different flats and a bodega shop before hitting the streets, as seen in "Homeland"....
    Dimitri

myEbay

DPOTD 3

he is a 0 feedback buyer actually , no answer to my ebay message and he hasn't paid yet . I swear if he doesn't pay within a month or so I'm going to do absolutely nothing at all about it.

Oddly enough the guy he outbid was also from russia.

I'm beginning to wonder if it isn't an extremely clever scam .

Step 1 2 buyers collude to shill bid my low value item , then refuse to communicate or pay .

step 2 ???????????????????????????? image

Step 3 PROFIT$$$$$$$$$$$$

Well played sir , well played indeed image
  • TwoKopeikiTwoKopeiki Posts: 9,528 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This doesn't look like a valid address in Moscow.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My old address in Ukraine was fairly simple - was.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21

This guy never paid but I've since discovered that eBay has something called "guest buyers" now. 0 feedback buyers who can bid on items even though they are not eBay members. Because they aren't members no message you send through eBay will ever reach them .

Supposedly to complete the transaction they need to register. However if they bid early and never come back there is a good chance they will never know they won anything. With no email address provided the seller can't alert them to the fact.
    What?!?!?! Is it April Fool's day already? ... That is the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard. Guest buyers? What is next, guest sellers?

How is this fair to sellers? Who are charged a final value fee, not to mention the big waste of your time and possibly chasing away other genuine buyers who would've gladly paid.

WOW.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• This whole concept of guest buyers is ridiculous. So people are invited to come and try out the features, search, bid, buy... but no obligation to actually go through with the transaction. So much for "a bid is a contract".

• amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I found out about the Guest Buyer's in a different way. Had a 0 feedback buyer buy a couple of $500 coins from me. Went to ship them together and could not! Turned out they were 2 different new accounts. My Red Flags were flying as High as they would go so I called ebay who told me it was more than likely a guest buyer. All went well and the Guest buyer bought another coin from me a couple of weeks later under yet another new account.
  • DBSTrader2DBSTrader2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't worry too much about sending the coins over to Russia........ pretty soon, Putin's just going to waltz over here and just TAKE them!imageimage

<< <i>I wouldn't worry too much about sending the coins over to Russia........ pretty soon, Putin's just going to waltz over here and just TAKE them!imageimage >>