Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Grade please for 1797 Large Cent....

DoubleEagle59DoubleEagle59 Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
Obverse only.

I'm not very familiar with these but I've checked a lot of on-line graded pictures and I'm thinking VF30 or VF35.

Better than a VF20 but it doesn't quite make an ef40.

I'd appreciate your opinion.

"Gold is money, and nothing else" (JP Morgan, 1912)

"“Those who sacrifice liberty for security/safety deserve neither.“(Benjamin Franklin)

"I only golf on days that end in 'Y'" (DE59)

Comments

• Options
    rheddenrhedden Posts: 6,619 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Details might actually be XF40 by commercial "slab" standards. The more significant issue is how much to discount the coin for both the rim damage and the cleaning/recoloring.
  • Options
    Really need to see the rev for a grade but vf30 is about right but it has been cleaned as evidentby the pink halos
  • Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,218 ✭✭✭✭✭
    What rhedden said.

Not a displeasing coin, despite the issues. I like the sharp denticles and overall detail.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,382 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Lots of nice details, I was going to say VF30 net.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    Sharpness looks 25-30, hard to say though with that kind of lighting.

You have a scarce coin though (either S-142 or 143, both a solid R5) and a possible condition rarity. I'm assuming yours has a stemless reverse?
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    VF-30 sharpness, but downgraded because it has been cleaned and re-colored plus a few dings to VF-20 from the commercial point of view. EAC grade would be Fine.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    This thread is both fascinating and instructive. As a novice, may I ask perhaps an obvious question? How do you know that this coin has been cleaned, let alone colored? Thank you.
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This thread is both fascinating and instructive. As a novice, may I ask perhaps an obvious question? How do you know that this coin has been cleaned, let alone colored? Thank you. >>

The color in general plus the unnatural reddish areas that are peaking out among the color. A circulated, original copper coin of any age will not look like that. Plus there is some pink color which is always a give away for re-coloring.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    Bill: Thank you very much. I asked this question because of a copper coin I recently submitted to PCGS came back with a Questionable Color designation. I then went out and bought another copper coin same denomination and year which had a NGC MS 65 RB designation. I have been studying both. The original cooper coin according to a member of my coin club may have been dipped. So when I see threads like the one you are commenting on, I ask for help in understanding the differences, some of which are very sublime. Thank you again.
    Sullykerry: Numismatic interests: Canada, Newfoundland, Japan pre-WWII, Ireland, Commemorative Coins (1892-1954) Celtic. References available on request.
  • Options
    PurfrockPurfrock Posts: 545 ✭✭✭
    VF25 or 30 with commercial grading. Despite the recoloring, it's a nice coin.
    EAC, ANA Member

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file