Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Copper Barber Dime

I need some help on this. I found this "Barber Dime" at an old home site while metal detecting. Thinking it was silver, but just corroded, I began trying to clean it to see a date. The more I cleaned, the more it looked to be made of copper. I stopped cleaning it because it looked so unusual. I think the date is 1912, but am not sure because of the remaining corrosion. The reverse is rotated about 90 degrees from what it should be. The strike seems to be a good detailed authentic Barber dime strike. It weighs 2.3 grams and is exactly dime size. I had the metal tested with a hand held spectrum gun and it tested from 99.8 to 100 percent copper. We tested it in several areas of the front and back. The other small percent registered iron, which I was told could be the corrosion. I talked with two coin shop dealers and both are stumped. I thought it might be a penny blank, but the composition is wrong. I thought it might be struck by the U.S. Mint on a foreign coin blank, but most of those would ordinarily be bronze. So, I'm here seeking help.

Comments

• Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the forums! A picture would be worth a thousand words...please try to share it with us for better help.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome aboard... we definitely would need pictures, obverse and reverse.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    cwtcwt Posts: 292 ✭✭✭
    It might be a contemporary counterfeit. Check out in the 1907-S via this link...
    link

Even if it turns out be one -- still an interesting coin and highly collectible.
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,563 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Agreed. Probably a contemporary counterfeit that somebody got stuck with and just set aside.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    I have photos of the front and back, but am new to the forum. I tried posting them, but must have done something wrong. I will try again. Can someone tell me what I'm doing wrong in trying to post the photos? When you see the photos, I think you will see that it looks to good to be a counterfeit.
  • Options
    The quality of that one seems to be what I see in my dime. I agree it could be a counterfeit. I'm still trying to post photos, but am having trouble. I upload and attach the files, but they don't show up.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have to host the photos on Photobucket or similar site. Then get the URL, usually an option if you right click the photo or click the photo and it should be in the address bar.

Then come here, click on the little picture frame that appears above where you're posting and enter the URL.

Also if you want you can turn on your PM (private message) function in your profile and I'll send you my e-mail. You can send the pics to me and I'll post them for you. I'll be home for
    a little while.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 9,959 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>It might be a contemporary counterfeit. Check out in the 1907-S via this link...
    link

Even if it turns out be one -- still an interesting coin and highly collectible. >>

+1
  • Options
    Okay, thanks. I have turned on the private message function. Send me your email and I will send you the photos.
  • Options
    MrHalfDimeMrHalfDime Posts: 3,440 ✭✭✭✭
    In addition to the excellent advice and comments given here by others it must also be said: Do not clean the coin any more. It will not enhance the value of the coin by further cleaning.
    They that can give up essential Liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither Liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
  • Options
    rmpsrpmsrmpsrpms Posts: 1,818 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I had the metal tested with a hand held spectrum gun and it tested from 99.8 to 100 percent copper. We tested it in several areas of the front and back. The other small percent registered iron, which I was told could be the corrosion... >>

What kind of test system was this? Can you give more details? I for one would love to have access to this type of testing. Where was it done? How much did it cost?
    PM me for coin photography equipment, or visit my website:

http://macrocoins.com
  • Options
    ShamikaShamika Posts: 18,760 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>...I had the metal tested with a hand held spectrum gun and it tested from 99.8 to 100 percent copper. We tested it in several areas of the front and back. The other small percent registered iron, which I was told could be the corrosion... >>

What kind of test system was this? Can you give more details? I for one would love to have access to this type of testing. Where was it done? How much did it cost? >>

XRF analyzer. Quite common these days.

Buyer and seller of vintage coin boards!
  • Options
    image[/URL][/IMG]image[/URL][/IMG]

Let's see if these images appear. If not, I'll try again later. My email is public, so I'm available to send them by email.

Okay, it didn't work.
  • Options
    Okay, try these links.

Copper Barber Dime Front
  • Options
    Copper Barber Dime Back

Here finally is the back.
  • Options
    erwindocerwindoc Posts: 4,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My guess is that it is just reacted with the environment, especially since it is so badly corroded.
  • Options
    sparky64sparky64 Posts: 7,026 ✭✭✭✭✭
    For the OP.

imageimage

"If I say something in the woods and my wife isn't there to hear it.....am I still wrong?"

My Washington Quarter Registry set...in progress

• Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here you go: oops, beat me to it....by seconds!

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,539 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sure wish metal detectorists would not attempt to clean their finds. Sure did ruin this coin. Value
    was destroyed. There are ways to preserve coins without this harsh scrubbing.
    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    I understand your thoughts completely and agree. I've been metal detecting and coin collecting for 47 years. I NEVER clean any collectible coin. However, I do sell junk silver that I find. This fell into that category because I thought it had been in a fire. I began cleaning it so it would be accepted as scrap silver. They do not accept silver that is highly contaminated with other metals, say from a fire or chemical corrosion. Please note that I said I immediately quit cleaning it when I noticed something strange about it. As for the value, it is not for sale anyway, although a lot of emails have come in offering to buy this worthless coin.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file