Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Nolan Ryan 15 card oddball poppage. More scans added!!!

My 15 card renewal sub popped today so I thought I'd share the results. These items may not interest many as they are mostly oversized oddball stuff for my Nolan Ryan Master set. I had to do three separate subs because the card sizes varied.

Edited to add scans of the items that I received and people asked about.

Thanks for looking,
Donato

1 1 23511254 MINT 9 1969 Mets Team Issue Nolan Ryan

1970 Transogram Mets Cleon Jones/Nolan Ryan/Tug McGraw Complete Box

2 1 23511255 NEAR MINT 7 1970 Transogram Mets Cleon Jones/Nolan Ryan/Tug McGraw Hand Cut-Panel

3 1 23511256 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1971 Mets Team Issue Nolan Ryan

4 1 23511257 MINT 9 1977-1979 Sportscaster 02-16 1969 Mets Japan

5 1 23511258 GEM MINT 10 1977-1979 Sportscaster 23-04 Nolan Ryan Italy (Geneva B)

6 1 N9: NOT GRADED No Spec Info, No Grade, No Charge

7 1 23511260 NEAR MINT-MINT 8 1981 Topps Super Home Team Nolan Ryan

8 1 23511261 VERY GOOD 3 1982 FBI Foods Discs John Mayberry/Nolan Ryan Panel-Hand Cut

9 1 23511262 EXCELLENT 5 1988 Topps Box Panels Hand Cut Kent Tekulve/Mike Schmidt/Nolan Ryan/Rickey Henderson Full Panel-Hand Cut

10 1 23511263 MINT 9 1990 Topps Magazine Perforated Bo Jackson/Nolan Ryan/Robin Yount/Will Clark 4 Card Panel

11 1 23511264 MINT 9 1991-1992 Newsport Nolan Ryan

12 1 23511265 GEM MINT 10 1992 Legends Sports Magazine Postcard 6 Nolan Ryan

13 1 23511266 EXCELLENT 5 1993 Topps Magazine Perforated Nolan Ryan 4 Card Panel

1 1 23506953 EXCELLENT-MINT 6 1970 Transogram Mets Cleon Jones/Nolan Ryan/Tug McGraw Hand Cut-Side Panel

1 1 23505239 NEAR MINT 7 1993 Enviromint Nolan Ryan Farewell Season

Hobbyist & Collector (not an investor).
Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

Successful transactions: Shrub68 (Jim), MWallace (Mike)

Comments

• Options
    OAKESY25OAKESY25 Posts: 4,726 ✭✭✭
    1 1 23511254 MINT 9 1969 Mets Team Issue Nolan Ryan NICE
  • Options
    tsalems1tsalems1 Posts: 3,373 ✭✭✭
    www.OPCBASEBALL.com

Email: OPCBASEBALL@YAHOO.COM

Follow OPCBASEBALL.COM on Facebook
  • Options
    jackstrawjackstraw Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭
    Nice rare stuff there Donato! What's the newsport card look like? I have never seen one..
    Collector Focus

ON ITS WAY TO NEWPORT BEACH, CA 92658
  • Options
    divecchiadivecchia Posts: 6,529 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Nice rare stuff there Donato! What's the newsport card look like? I have never seen one.. >>

Thanks, I will post a scan for you when I get it back in a few days.

Donato

Donato's Complete US Type Set ---- Donato's Dansco 7070 Modified Type Set ---- Donato's Basic U.S. Coin Design Set

• Options
    CDsNutsCDsNuts Posts: 10,092
    Very nice sub, a lot of impossible Ryan's in there. Nice work.
  • Options
    Thank you very much Lee. Coming from you that means a lot.

Donato

• Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>1 1 23511254 MINT 9 1969 Mets Team Issue Nolan Ryan NICE >>

+1 - A year ago one sold for $1,700.00+
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Nice rare stuff there Donato! What's the newsport card look like? I have never seen one.. >>

Thanks, I will post a scan for you when I get it back in a few days. >>

They were a French company, if I'm not mistaken. A Newsport Tippett is on my wish list. Must be they did various sports.

My favorite item on your list is the PSA 6 Transogram panel. Super tough! Congrats!
  • Options
    Congrats, Donato!

I know some of those are tough to find at all... forget in some of the higher grades you landed with this sub.

That Ryan Master set is not for the weak. image

Snorto~
  • Options

<< <i>That Ryan Master set is not for the weak. image >>

Certainly not! How many items?
  • Options
    JoeBanzaiJoeBanzai Posts: 11,241 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>That Ryan Master set is not for the weak. image >>

Certainly not! How many items? >>

2,333......................WOW!
    2013,14 and 15 Certificate Award Winner Harmon Killebrew Master Set and Master Topps Set
  • Options
    SumoMenkoManSumoMenkoMan Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭
    What was item #6 that they couldn't grade?
  • Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Donato -- seems like some really great grades. Congrats -- it is always awesome getting some of those oddball cards graded.

I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    skrezyna23skrezyna23 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the pop. Amazing stuff there. I'm just buying and having my friend store all the oddball and large items Mattingly stuff for me. Will get to it eventually.
  • Options

<< <i>What was item #6 that they couldn't grade? >>

The item they did not grade is a 1981 Astrosports Nolan Ryan hand cut magazine card. the card is the thickness of magazine stock, but has full player stats on the back including height, weight, bats, throws etc... I know they grade them as they have already graded a couple of them. They just could not find the specs on it. I will send it in again along with the spec number for the card they will grade it. I was going to do it over the phone, but I did not want to hold up the rest of my order.

Here is a picture of one that is graded (not mine).

Thanks for the kind words everyone, I appreciate it.

Donato

• Options
    firedawg45firedawg45 Posts: 1,251 ✭✭✭
    Great fbi discs. Do you cut the panel or grade the comp,eye box? Great pick up. I paid $450'for my rose. Got a psa 3 on the single years ago
    # 2 Pete Rose Master Set , also
    collecting 1977 topps baseball in psa 9 and psa 10
  • Options

<< <i>Great fbi discs. Do you cut the panel or grade the comp,eye box? Great pick up. I paid $450'for my rose. Got a psa 3 on the single years ago >>

Thanks firedawg45, and congrats to you on scoring a PSA 3 on your Rose FBI disc. Anything above a PSA 2 is very difficult, so I was ecstatic when I saw I had a PSA 3. For my item I cut the FBI box down to a complete panel with both players on it to get it graded. I will add a scan of it when I get it back.

Donato

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hiya Donato

Some incredible gems in there.

But, a gem mint on the sportscaster Ryan is just on another planet!!!!!

I'd like to see it when it comes in. Congratulations buddy.
    Mike
  • Options
    Thanks for the kind words, Mike. I will post a scan of the sportscaster Ryan when it comes back.

Donato

• Options
    Dan mentioned the Transogram as being his favorite in an earlier post and firedawg45 asked about how I cut up the FBI panel. Both of these items are favorites of mine from my Ryan collection and this got me thinking about a question that I have for other collectors. I know for dealers and flippers it may be different as they may not have the same emotional attachment to something as a collector does. So here’s my question.

As a collector do you struggle when it comes to cutting up something like a Bazooka box, Transogram box, FBI box etc…? If so, do you struggle because you may not have experience at cutting something up and you are afraid you may destroy the item or end up with an “AUTHENTIC” instead of a numeric grade or is it more of a struggle with yourself to cut something up (especially if it’s old) that’s so cool as a complete piece it just breaks your heart to see it cut up? Or are there other reasons that one may struggle to cut something up just so it can be graded and added to a registry set?

For me, it was more of a struggle with myself and the idea of cutting up something so cool seemed to just break my heart. The struggle lasted for over 2-1/2 years, until one day I finally broke down and did it. I don’t regret doing it, but it does make me a little sad when I think about it.

I’d be interested in hearing some of your thoughts as collectors or as sellers/flippers.

Thanks,
    Donato

• Options
    If the piece is more rare as ,say a full box panel, then yes it would hard for me.

Donato do you have everything on the list? I remember the Astrosport was on your want list.
    Collector Focus

• Options
    swartz1swartz1 Posts: 4,911 ✭✭✭
    You always have nice stuff...kudos...

Looking for 1970 MLB Photostamps
    - uncut

Positive Transactions - tennesseebanker, Ahmanfan, Donruss, Colebear, CDsNuts, rbdjr1, Downtown1974, yankeeno7, drewsef, mnolan, mrbud60, msassin, RipublicaninMass, AkbarClone, rustywilly, lsutigers1973, julen23 and nam812, plus many others...
  • Options

<< <i>If the piece is more rare as ,say a full box panel, then yes it would hard for me.
    Donato do you have everything on the list? I remember the Astrosport was on your want list. >>

John,

Some of these pieces sell for crazy prices graded, so for me it wasn't that I was depleting the value (I may have actually increased the value) it was just like someone destroying an irreplaceable piece of art.

I do have the 1981 Astrosport card. It was the card that got the "N9: NOT GRADED No Spec Info, No Grade, No Charge". I probably have 99% of the stuff listed on the Ryan Master, but they are not graded. Mostly I'm missing coins and pins that I did not collect before I started the Ryan Master. A lot of what I have left to grade would not grade high enough for me to put it in the set. When I started collecting Ryan 20+ years ago I was happy to get an item off the list, I was not looking for perfection like I am now. I was fortunate enough to have bought some really nice pieces that graded very well, like the 1970 Transogram Mets panel which graded a PSA 7 and the FBI panel which graded a PSA 3. Both of these are the highest graded POP 1's.

Donato

Edited for spelling.

• Options
    I added some scans (see first post) of the cards people asked about and the 1981 Astrosport magazine card that did not grade.

Thanks for looking,
    Donato

• Options
    Donato looking at your set a lot if not all of the early Ryan's you have are high grade! You have a great eye for cards..
    Collector Focus

• Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx for posting Donato.

The "gem" Ryan is a beauty. I'm sure there's plenty who would want that one.

Congratulations and good eye!
    Mike
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    The Transogram is my favorite. I love these oversized cards...they are all very difficult to get in high grade. Yours looks great!

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options
    David,

As I said earlier the Transogram is one of my favorites items also.

Thanks very much for the compliment.

Donato

• Options
    I added a scan of the 1970 Transogram Mets mini side panel PSA 6 in the first post if anyone is interested in seeing it.

Thank you for viewing and your comments,
    Donato

• Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stamp

I saw this and instantly thought of your avatar. It is the same! image

• Options
    lawnmowermanlawnmowerman Posts: 19,477 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options

<< <i>Stamp

I saw this and instantly thought of your avatar. It is the same! image >>

Yes David, that stamp is my avatar. I just checked out the auction and WOW!!!! (considering it's only a PSA 1) selling for over $3K with the buyers premium is very strong price. These are rare, but I did not think a PSA 1 would reach this price.

The 1968 Venezuelan Ryan Rookie did really well also getting to just under $8K with the buyers premium. I think that's incredible for a BVG 3.

Matt, Ryan has over 20 team issued photos, the 1969 is my favorite. I look at it and see a young kid just starting out in the MLB.

Donato

• Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

I've submitted a few hundred Sportscaster cards in the past over a couple orders, and had at that time requested they specify which print run (no letter = 1st run, 'A' = 2nd run, 'B' = 3rd run) to be included on the label, but they wouldn't do it. When did they start specifying A & B on the flips? They're just so darn big and heavy once slabbed, I'm not super excited about sending a bunch back for mech error correction, but it looks like I'll end up doing it since they include all versions on the master set registries.

The one that I really don't understand is that they still won't specify difference on the label between the North American & UK issues. We all know North America had two sets, one printed in Italy and one printed in Japan, where both used English text. The UK ones were also English text, but only printed in Italy. The North American ones, regardless of whether it is an Italy or Japan version, have 03 005 before the series+card number, and the UK ones have 13 064 before the series+card number. Considering PSA does a decent job of most of the varied labeling on Sportscasters as there are so many of them out there (9 different nations' issues, and 2 different printing origins for the North American ones, plus variance of multiple print runs), it makes no sense to me at all that they can't figure out how to differentiate between North American and UK.

There are sometimes very slight differences on the back sides of these when comparing 1st / 2nd / 3rd print run of the same card.

Also, ever notice how some people seem to be confused by "Italian" vs. "Italy" (i.e., Italian is printed w/ Italian text for distribution in Italy, and Italy is printed w/ English text for distribution in North America)? It seems like way too many sellers put Italian in their titles or descriptions, resulting in shoppers clicking to check their item only to find out it is a North American or UK card instead of the Italian one.
  • Options

<< <i>Love the 69 team issue! >>

Me too! And the Transogram back panel! Just lots of cool stuff. Thanks a bunch for posting the pics!
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I've submitted a few hundred Sportscaster cards in the past over a couple orders, and had at that time requested they specify which print run (no letter = 1st run, 'A' = 2nd run, 'B' = 3rd run) to be included on the label, but they wouldn't do it. When did they start specifying A & B on the flips? They're just so darn big and heavy once slabbed, I'm not super excited about sending a bunch back for mech error correction, but it looks like I'll end up doing it since they include all versions on the master set registries.

The one that I really don't understand is that they still won't specify difference on the label between the North American & UK issues. We all know North America had two sets, one printed in Italy and one printed in Japan, where both used English text. The UK ones were also English text, but only printed in Italy. The North American ones, regardless of whether it is an Italy or Japan version, have 03 005 before the series+card number, and the UK ones have 13 064 before the series+card number. Considering PSA does a decent job of most of the varied labeling on Sportscasters as there are so many of them out there (9 different nations' issues, and 2 different printing origins for the North American ones, plus variance of multiple print runs), it makes no sense to me at all that they can't figure out how to differentiate between North American and UK.

There are sometimes very slight differences on the back sides of these when comparing 1st / 2nd / 3rd print run of the same card.

Also, ever notice how some people seem to be confused by "Italian" vs. "Italy" (i.e., Italian is printed w/ Italian text for distribution in Italy, and Italy is printed w/ English text for distribution in North America)? It seems like way too many sellers put Italian in their titles or descriptions, resulting in shoppers clicking to check their item only to find out it is a North American or UK card instead of the Italian one. >>

Great info! I've been looking for something that explains the variations and I think I've got a handle on in now.
  • Options
    miwlvrnmiwlvrn Posts: 4,227 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Great info! I've been looking for something that explains the variations and I think I've got a handle on in now. >>

Here is a site I use for info on some of the more obscure Sportscaster cards: Sportscaster card info link

Note, there are some cards that only appear in foreign sets w/o a North American parallel.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Great info! I've been looking for something that explains the variations and I think I've got a handle on in now. >>

Here is a site I use for info on some of the more obscure Sportscaster cards: Sportscaster card info link

Note, there are some cards that only appear in foreign sets w/o a North American parallel. >>

Bookmarked, thanks again! Now I have to go back and accurately catalog all my golf/Rose/Bench Sportscasters.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1990 Ryan

Wow this card went for big money. What is the back story on this one?

• Options
    I was just looking through your Nolan PSA registry list.. Anyhow, I was a big Nolan Ryan fan as a kid growing up and I have some oddball cards.. one of them is the Nike Poster Texas Ranger card.. I have scans of them on my home computer.. I'll try to remember to upload them tonight. I'm thinking I should send it to be graded?

Jonathan
  • Options
    Kid4hof03Kid4hof03 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Donato, great stuff! Congratulations on the FBI panel, those are so tough! I have full panels for my Gary Carter and also have a Ron Guidry panel.
    Collecting anything and everything relating to Roger Staubach