Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

POTUS Appreciation Medals: Eisenhower & Kennedy

DrDarrylDrDarryl Posts: 586 ✭✭✭✭✭
The President of the United States of America (POTUS) Appreciation Medals were struck at the US Mint in Philadelphia while the POTUS was in office. A medal was presented by the POTUS to an individual as a expression of his appreciation and the medal is a reminder keepsake of this appreciation. The POTUS Appreciation Medals could not be purchased from the US Mint, they had to be received from the POTUS. Most medals are kept as a Presidential heirloom and past on to the next generation in the family. This is the primary reason you hardly see these medals being offered for sale.

There are a total of 19 POTUS Appreciation Medals that were struck at the US Mint in the late 1950's and early 1960's. 17 are Eisenhower medals and 2 are Kennedy medals. The White House ordered these medals at the direction of the POTUS. The US Mint functioned as the manufacturer or contractor to design and strike the medals. The US Mint was paid by the White House for the services performed.

Below are samples of the US Silver dollar size POTUS appreciation medals (Eisenhower)

Below is a memo that indicates these medal are US Mint products.

Below us the Kennedy appreciation medal

Below are additional references:
Mysterious US Mint Medals Uncovered

President Eisenhower - South America June 1960

POTUS Website

These are historical medals. You can actually place the medal to a location (as the previous link shows) where the POTUS visited.

Let me know if you have a POTUS Appreciation medal....

Comments

• Options
    TopographicOceansTopographicOceans Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭✭
    Interesting - gifts to diplomats?

I wonder if this counts?

• Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited January 12, 2021 2:32PM
    The Eisenhower and Kennedy medals are interesting,
    and I wonder why Lyndon Johnson discontinued the practice
    (if he did or the idea just "fell through the cracks" and was forgotten).

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very cool medals! Thanks for posting.

Here are some mintages to get a feel for the ranges.

1,750 - South America
    500 - DDE
    400 - Hawaii - 105 destroyed, 28 in Eisenhower Presidential Library, 267 in private ownership
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for posting, DrDarryl and welcome to the boards! Cool stuff!

ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    coinkatcoinkat Posts: 22,886 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't recall seeing the ikes before- very interesting

Experience the World through Numismatics...it's more than you can imagine.

• Options
    All,

Information about the Eisenhower appreciation medals have been under lock and key for over 5 decades. The medals would appear for sale during this time period, but collectors would steer away as there was no reference books to positively identify them. Mintage, manufacturer, designer of the medals could not be identified, hence it was assumed to be a commercially available souvenir while President Eisenhower was in office. The original recipients of the medal knew that it was a Presidential heirloom and would hold on to them and pass them on to younger family members. These family members also could not locate any information about the medals and either continued to pass it on in the family or sold it for its silver content.

Files relating to the medals were finally made available to the general public 2011. Two years passed before I came into the picture. In 2013, I was researching a medal identified in the book, Hawaiian Money Standard Catalog, 1991, by Medcalf & Russell. This medal was cataloged as 2M-94 and provided no mintage, manufacturer, and designer. However, the 1991 catalog price was $650. The main purpose of researching the medal is that I located a specimen and wanted to add it to my Hawaiian medal collection. Well, I took a chance and purchased the medal (price exceed the 1991 catalog value).

This is were the fun part begins. I did further research and found information that led me to the Dwight D. Eisenhower Presidential Library. I located this never released to the public file and the information I read was astounding. I kept reading and finally knew the whole story behind the medals. The information was source material for a book. I also figured out why the information as kept hidden. I was fortunate to have "discovered" this US Mint medal series. There are 17 medals in this US Mint medal series. They are in three sizes. The designs are by Gilroy Roberts and Frank Gasparro. All mintage are known. Remaining medals were destroyed at the end of President Eisenhower 2nd term. The number and medal type destroyed are known.

As for the 2M-94 medal (DDE-08 identified in the previous entry or the NGC certified medal). 400 were originally struck. 105 were destroyed. 28 are in a museum collection. 267 are in circulation. This is the 6th lowest population of the 10 silver dollar size medals.

I have been contacted my several grandchildren of the original recipients thanking me for identifying these medals. I'm not here to promote my book, but to share the information of these newly discovered historical medals.

Below is memo identifying 22 military members (last names redacted for privacy) who were recommended for the "Presidential Medallion for Hawaii" or "Hawaiian Presidential Medallion". These terms mean 2M-94 or DDE-08. As a side note: This medal is the first US Mint product to bear the name of the State of Hawaii (key term here is State as the US Mint did strike coins for the Kingdom of Hawaii).

• Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,724 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting - gifts to diplomats?

I wonder if this counts?

image >>

lmao, that just might work lol
  • Options
    Medals had to be struck by the US Mint. See guideline # 3. POTUS Appreciation Medal Guidelines

Your medal/coin failed the validity check as a true POTUS appreciation medal.

• Options
    The spreading of information about the President John F. Kennedy appreciation medal should hit critical mass one day and its demand will far exceed the 300 mintage.

I've updated Wikipeda write-up on the Kennedy half dollar and added images.

Kennedy half dollar
  • Options
    WillieBoyd2WillieBoyd2 Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭✭✭
    last names redacted for privacy

Is there any logical reason for hiding the recipient names after 50 years?

https://www.brianrxm.com
    The Mysterious Egyptian Magic Coin
    Coins in Movies
    Coins on Television

• Options
    I did not want any legal ramification placed on me as a result of publicly identifying the military members who were recipients (or currently living heirs). I know they served our country well and out of respect I made the decision to redact their last names.

I've been contacted by several living heirs who have been searching for information about these medals. Most are grateful that they now have documented proof that the medal in their possession truly is a Presidential heirloom. In most cases they have been searching for information for years with no results.

The point of the releasing the redacted memo to provide evidence that the medal was part of President Eisenhower's trip to Hawaii and not a medal designed/struck after the trip as a post-event commemorative. It took coordination between the White House, Treasury Department, and US Mint in Philadelphia to have the medals in-hand during the trip.

As a side note, here is a video of Eisenhower in Hawaii in 1960 (no sound)
    Eisenhower in Hawaii 1960.
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,453 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The spreading of information about the President John F. Kennedy appreciation medal should hit critical mass one day and its demand will far exceed the 300 mintage.

Kennedy half dollar >>

I think the day will come that demand for even the half dollars will hit critical mass
    as well. There just aren't that many really nice specimens of most dates. People
    have the concept that nice Gem sets can be slapped together pretty easily because
    many dates are common in Gem but the reality is that even more are rather limited
    in availability.

For some reason Kennedy is a very popular collectible but people are ignoring the
    coins simply because most are cu/ ni clad.

Whitman has new book out on Kennedy tokens and medals and this is the 50th
    anniversary of the coin. Next year will be the 50th for the clad (silver) and it will be
    followed soon by the 50th for the cu/ ni clad.

All of this material should be an item of focus for a while.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    Checkout the Legacy and Memory Section. Also checkout the references discussing the medal.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dwight_D._Eisenhower

Checkout the medal images of a few POTUS medals at the site below.

http://thehawaiiananumismatist.com/potus-appreciation-medals/
  • Options
    BodinBodin Posts: 998 ✭✭✭
    As an Inaugural medal collector, I love this post by the OP. Thank you for sharing!
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great thread... thanks for the detailed information on these medals.... Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    StrikeOutXXXStrikeOutXXX Posts: 3,352 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Bump since most of the answers to the new cryptic post are in this.

Believe this was the display at Baltimore:
    ------------------------------------------------------------

"You Suck Award" - February, 2015

Discoverer of 1919 Mercury Dime DDO - FS-101
  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I agree, very cool thread image

Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It's kind of disappointing they stopped making them

How does the idea behind these for with the idea behind military challenge coins?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,734 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting - gifts to diplomats?

I wonder if this counts?

image >>

No political hate speech in the forums!
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 4,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More photos of the exhibit displays from Charmy's March 2015 Baltimore show report:
    from
    http://forums.collectors.com/messageview.cfm?catid=26&threadid=940887
    Recipient last names no longer redacted.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,485 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>The spreading of information about the President John F. Kennedy appreciation medal should hit critical mass one day and its demand will far exceed the 300 mintage.

Kennedy half dollar >>

Why would you ever say that?

I collect Kennedy Half Dollars but it's the "Half Dollar", not this general Kennedy Memorabilia which is where this stuff belongs.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,110 ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited October 23, 2016 5:49PM

Some Eisenhower DDE Appreciation Medals just sold that are worth keeping a track of. ATS is slabbing these now. Does PCGS?

Also noticed that the photos from Charmy's March 2015 Baltimore show report don't have the 1958 or 1959 medals sold above.

• Options

The discovery 1959 Eisenhower presentation set

https://youtu.be/TyAl9K1GSeU

• Options

The Kennedy POTUS sGm

https://youtu.be/2I8aoCxmzCo

• Options

The Hawaiian Ike

https://youtu.be/GQ98T2H1VhQ

• Options

An entire US Mint series discovered and named (after 5 decades)

potus-sgm.com/

• Options

Regarding POTUS Appreciation Medals. DrDarryl said in one post to let him know if you have one. I came into possession of one in a roundabout way. It was in a batch of coins I bought in an online auction from Property Room, probably back in 2012. Property Room is a police auction website. They state: "By statute, law enforcement agencies must auction seized, found, and unclaimed personal property at public auction." I buy only from law enforcement sellers on the site, so odds are high this was stolen from its rightful owner.

I collect coins - not medals - but recognize the meaning of this item and hate to just sell it off or melt it down. DrDarryl - is there ANY way to locate the original owner so that it could be returned to them? I know this is the longest of long shots, but I need to try. It's a June 1960 DDE - date on one side, two torches on the other. Tarnished, but in decent condition. Thanks for any thoughts.

• Options
    abcde12345abcde12345 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭✭✭

The first reference to POTUS was season one of the West Wing.

• Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,475 ✭✭✭✭✭

when you offer X to its rightful owner, you'll have people from all over claiming it.

proof might be hard to come by.

and there is the chance that others who owned it had it seized as part of anti-laundering activities instead of theft

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options

For your identification pleasure. Size not to scale.

• Options

Books out of print. Working on an update for the longest time.

• Options

My blue book was donated to and resides in several applicable (DDE, JFK, and RMN) presidential libraries.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file