Home Metal Detecting
Options

Never did it. Whats a good detector?

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Not ALL the bells and whistles, but a discriminator by metal type and probably a foot or so range.

Or.... ????????

Comments

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will need to do some research...and decide what type of MD'ing you want to do.....My preference is White's detectors...I like them because they are a leader in technology with superb customer service.....Oh yes, you will need a few accessories as well....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I also use a Whites when I can get out.

Have had my V-SAT for a dozen years or so, still going strong. 8 double A batteries have a huge lifespan.
    Have had it off for over a year and last week turned it on and powered up no problemo! Battery life is one
    aspect. My detector does not tell me the metal or depth or have any fancy displays. Just works.

The new ones can be had for $250 for one with a nice display. Garrets (sp?) is one that comes to mind.

If you are older, like me, weight is a consideration as hours of swinging take their toll on me.

Get to your local metal detector dealer and check out a few. Maybe rent a few first?

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Renting is a good suggestion. image
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    You will also need a digging tool and a pinpointer....minimum accessories for a hunt...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,260 ✭✭✭✭
    As Ricko said, find out what you want to do, parks, beaches, gold nuggets, etc. Then find a price range you want to spend. The min is probably $200 to $250, and they go into the thousands.

White's very good
    Garrett also very good

I'm going to throw out Minelab too for consideration.