Home Precious Metals

Silver used in photography.....brought us this historic image.

Earliest known photo image of a person (actually two) in 1838 Paris.

Text

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    One of the dots at top left is Renman flying in a load of rivets from Cologne for an early prototype of the Statue of Liberty!

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Interesting picture...thanks, Cheers, RickO
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pretty good resolution! Factory smoke in the background. Sidewalks. Rainguards on smokestacks. Drain tiles and gutters. Cobblestones. Looks pretty modern. Thanks for the post!
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
    Must have looked about the same 50 years earlier when Ben Franking was in residence.
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,916 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Must have looked about the same 50 years earlier when Ben Franking was in residence. >>

Who was Ben Franking?image

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,584 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Excellent site to view some very old B&W photography

A former "old school" photojournalist myself, this is one of my favorite historical B&W pix. A group of British kids taking shelter during the German bombing raids over London:

"How many times can a man turn his head and pretend he just doesn’t see?” - Bob Dylan

• rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Must have looked about the same 50 years earlier when Ben Franking was in residence. >>

Who was Ben Franking?image >>

Wasn't he the master coin minter?, hence the franc was born... Lol...
    keceph `anah

Creator of the Franking privilege.....look it up!

Damn----how did I mangle Franklin like that..... image
  • dpooledpoole Posts: 5,940 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is the first know photograph, taken from a window in 1826 or 1827, in Saint-Loup-de-Varennes, much enhanced. (I saw the original at the Harry Ransom Center at the University of Texas earlier this year. Amazing!)

Mglicker: if you only knew how many times my first-version posts included wild misspellings like that... image We just get in a hurry....

• OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder what the earliest photo of a coin looked like.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)