Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Gardiner's Island, NY: 400 years of Pirates, Treasure, War and Triumph

Some of you may frown upon this die trial "coin" but the island's history is most definitely American - including a First Lady! Enjoy image

Note: The fascinating article which follows is from Hamptons.com. I take no credit here. Reposting because it's an excellent read worth preserving here on our board.

Gardiner's Island. 1965 die trial. Krause #X-PT2. PCGS PR68DC, registry #520820.

Gardiners Island: A Nearly 400 Year Family History Of Pirates, Treasure And Triumph by Nicole A. Flotteron
Approximately five square miles in size, Gardiner's Island, a part of the town of East Hampton, has a rich, tumultuous history that spans nearly 400 years of ownership by the same family. It is the only real estate intact in the United States that is part of an original royal grant from the English Crown. The Island has survived Indian wars, pirates, invasion by British forces, war, and family issues. It is home to more than 1,000 acres of old growth forest, the largest stand of white oak trees in the Northeast, 1,000 acres of meadows, rare birds, Indian artifacts, and structures that date back to the 17th century.
Robert David Lion Gardiner, the last heir to bear the name Gardiner, said of his founding ancestors survey of the Island, "When he walked over it he found it had magnificent forests, salt water ponds and fresh streams that he could dam and use for his lifestock." The island was settled in 1639 by a man named Lion Gardiner after he retained a grant from King Charles I of England.

Gardiner purchased the island from the Montaukett Indians after his support of the tribe during the Pequot War, in exchange for a large black dog, a few Dutch blankets, and some powder and shot. Originally called the 'Isle of Wight' after the Isle of Wight in England, the royal patent issued to Gardiner gave him the "right to possess the land forever," as well as the title "Lord of the Manor."

In 1641, Gardiner's wife gave birth to a daughter named Elizabeth, who was the first English child born in New York, and would be responsible for initiating the first witch hunt and witch trial in the American colony. In February 1657, 15-year-old Elizabeth lay deliriously ill in East Hampton. She screamed out from her deathbed, "A witch! A witch! Now you are come to torture me because I spoke two or three words against you!" Lion rushed to his daughter's side and asked her what she saw, to which she replied, "A black thing at the bed's feet." Moments later, she died, spawning a witch hunt which would lead to the arrest of 50-year-old Goody Garlick whose husband worked on Gardiner's Island as a farmer. Lion himself passed away in 1663 at the age of 64. He is buried at the Old South Cemetery in East Hampton.
In June 1699, Gardiner's Island received a legendary visitor, Captain William Kidd, privateer and pirate. He sailed his ship Adventure Prize into one of the harbors on the Island on his way to Boston where he would attempt to clear his name. With Lion Gardiner's grandson Jonathan's permission, he buried $30,000 worth of treasure in a ravine between Bostwick's Point and the Manor House. Kidd gave Mrs. Gardiner a piece of gold cloth (it can be found on display at the East Hampton Library) which he captured from a Moorish ship off of Madagascar, as well as a bag of sugar - a rarity at the time. He warned the Gardiner's that if the treasure was not there when he returned he would kill them, and he headed off to Boston.

While in Boston, Kidd was captured, put on trial and later executed. Governor of New York and Massachusetts, Richard Earl of Bellomont ordered the Gardiners to deliver the treasure to the court as evidence. The treasure included gold dust, silver bars, gold Spanish coins, rubies, diamonds, candlesticks and porringers. One diamond remained in Gardiner's hands. Some argue that he took it; others argue that it was accidently left in his travel bag. The diamond was given to his daughter Elizabeth who married the Island chaplain, Mr. Green.

Gardiner's Island played a significant role in many great American wars. During the American Revolution, the Gardiner's sided with the colonists. Thirteen ships sailed into Cherry Harbor and foraged the Island and the Manor House. Guests at the Manor during the time included Henry Clinton and John Andre, who would at one point exchange toasts with Gardiner's son Nathaniel, a surgeon in the New Hampshire Continental Infantry. Later in the war, Nathaniel would attend to Andre after he was caught spying with Benedict Arnold and executed.
During the War of 1812, seven British ships and small frigates anchored in Cherry Harbor where they proceeded to conduct raids on American shipping. Crews would go ashore on the island for provisions, and several British military personnel who were killed were buried on the island.

On May 4, 1820, Julia Gardiner was born on the Island. Her mother, Juliana McLachlan, was an heiress to a large fortune, and as a result, Julia grew up in a world of opulence. In 1842, she was introduced to President John Tyler at a White House reception. Julia and the President, 30 years her senior, began a relationship after the death of Tyler's first wife. Julia, her sister, and her father, David Gardiner joined the President on the steam frigate, Princeton, where David would lose his life in an explosion.

After the tragic death of her father, Julia agreed to marry Tyler in a small, private ceremony in New York in June 1844. She only served as First Lady for eight months, but during that time she threw many lavish parties and dressed in flamboyant, trendy fashions. She retired with Tyler at their estate, Sherwood Forest in Virginia. During the Civil War however, Julia openly defended slavery, and was forced to return to an anti-slavery New York after her home in Virginia was seized by Union soldiers. She died in Richmond, Virginia on July 10, 1889 at the age of 69.

In the late 19th century, famed Long Island poet Walt Whitman wrote of Gardiners Island, "Imagination loves to trace (mine does, any how,) the settlement and patriarchal happiness of this fine old English gentleman on his island there all by himself, with his large farm-house, his servants and family, his crops on a great scale, his sheep, horses, and cows. His wife was a Dutch woman - for thus it is written by his own hand in the old family Bible, which the Gardiners yet possess."

The original Manor House on the island was built by David Gardiner in 1774, however in 1947, the house, along with its contents were burned in a fire after a guest fell asleep while smoking. The current Manor House, a 28 room Georgian estate, was built in 1947 by Sarah Diodati Gardiner. Diodati died at the age of 90 and left the Island to her nephew Robert David Lion Gardiner, and his sister Alexandra Gardiner Creel. Robert served as the 16th Lord of the Manor until his death in August 2004. He had no heir. The island is run today by Creel's daughter Alexandra Goelet, the last remaining heir in the Gardiners family.
ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,447 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I rather like that die trial piece, actually, and not just because it's from my birthyear. What's the mintage on that?

And what is "Franklinium"?

Hmm... privately issued pattern coin from smallish, semi obscure island... could this be a sort of American equivalent to the Lundy "Puffin" coinage?

Gardiner's Island sounds like it could be a very fun place to unleash a metal detector!

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    ajaanajaan Posts: 17,240 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>And what is "Franklinium >>

An invention of the Franklin mint. Cu-Ni.

DPOTD-3
    'Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery'

CU #3245 B.N.A. #428

Don
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Definitely an obscure place but what a fascinating history! I can't think of any other family whose lineage includes Native Americans, famous pirates, hidden treasure, the first English girl born in the New World (named Elizabeth of course), fighting in the American Revolution and War of 1812, a First Lady to the POTUS ... I mean it's incredible.

I have not yet looked into the elements in Franklinium, but I know it was struck by Franklin Mint ... so it's definitely not one of those radioactive elements from the bottom of the Periodic Table! image

MD'ing would be awesome! OMG so awesome. Might take a while, though. It's a fairly big island. You might need some help. I could help you image
    Clink on the link to Hamptons.com and dig the first image (aerial photo) and then scroll down to the comments section... groundskeepers and kin have posted with their names visible... maybe we could negotiate a way onto the island...

I believe PCGS Registry has the mintage listed as 10,000 but who knows if that's accurate and how many survived. I suspect whatever didn't sell got melted, as is typical. And how many have survived Time.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    ScarsdaleCoinScarsdaleCoin Posts: 5,200 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Gardiner's Island is a place I know quite a bit about.... many of the relatives work in East Hampton and I have spoken to several about the treasure...but I am not at liberty to divulge!

Here is a pic I took of the island over the summer... btw you are not allowed to get too close, if you do they send a security ship to warn you away

Jon Lerner - Scarsdale Coin - www.CoinHelp.com
  • Options
    A supposed witch with a name like Goody Garlick. You can't get much more colorful than that.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Thanks for sharing that photo and personal touch, Jon. Don't tease us good ol' Georgia boys about treasure image or we'll hunt you down with our metal detectors image

One of the commentators on that website said they often fish on the beach rocks. I guess there's always a way to slip past security boats. I wouldn't mess with their privacy uninvited, though. That's just not cool. But with an invite ... would be a fun vacay.

My wife and I like to visit Martha's Vineyard in the Summer. I imagine this as a similar place only with total seclusion.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great history.... would love to get on that island with my metal detector.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    RickO, let's try to make it happen. Official CU Forum vacation. You, me, LordM, and perhaps Jon of ScarsdaleCoin? Surely we can appeal to the family under the flag of "educational expedition."
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    I could see the thread about that topping 200 replies, if there were action pics and a video clip or two. image

Reminds me how I have yet to edit or post any video of my England dig trip, though this week was its 1-year anniversary.

• Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great background and history on the island and this piece. It's kind of cool that PCGS is certifying these image

<< <i>And what is "Franklinium"? >>

It seems like there may be more than one version of this:

NICON: Cupro-Nickel with Colombian

STERLING PLUS: "Nickel-Silver" core sandwiched between two layers of Sterling-Silver (.925 fine)

FRANKLINIUM I: Pure Nickel impregnated with Colombian

• Options
    It seems like there were 3000 struck in each of the 3 metals above in addition to 2 platinum strikes. Does anyone know where the platinum strikes currently reside?

Here's the NGC page with photos:

Also, it's interesting to note that the material in the OP is "Franklinium I" and there are items struck on "Franklinium II" out there.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How old is Alexandra ? And is she dating anyone ? image
  • Options

<< <i>How old is Alexandra? And is she dating anyone ? image >>

Alexandra Gardiner Creel Goelet, the current owner, is 74
    Alexandra Gardiner Goelet, her daughter, is 37

The will granting the island to the current owner stipulates the island will pass to her children so there may be an island in the daughter's future.
  • Options
    LOL @ TwoSides image

No idea but go for it. There are other Gardiner descendants, who are probably making claims to the island as we speak. I would. At least for visitation rights.

Zoins, yes it was struck in silver and Cu-Ni.

No idea what series were struck in Franklinium II, nor do I care quite honestly. I am not a fan of the composition. I bought this piece because I'm a fan of the design. I love the eagle. It's one of the best eagles I've seen, IMHO. And I love proofs so this was a win-win.

If I ever see the silver for sale, I'll trade up.

No idea where the platinum duo went but my guess is right into the Gardiner estate library. If you had some coins struck for your family with seal and eagle, wouldn't you order two platinums as keepsake? image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file