Home Precious Metals
Options

US Mint Ends Sales of Silver Eagles

Comments

• Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Our wholesalers cut us off on ASE today.
  • Options
    nibannynibanny Posts: 2,761
    Premiums are already on the rise!
    The member formerly known as Ciccio / Posts: 1453 / Joined: Apr 2009
  • Options
    piecesofmepiecesofme Posts: 6,669 ✭✭✭
    Premiums are already on the rise!

As previously stated would happen on silver about 1.5 months ago by yours truly image

Hey, don't rain on my parade, it's not often I'm right lol
    To forgive is to free a prisoner, and to discover that prisoner was you.
  • Options
    derrybderryb Posts: 36,236 ✭✭✭✭✭

Temporary halt on sales: has happened before - sudden surge in demand when spot drops drastically empties the mint's shelves. Only means they have sold built up inventory and as noted in the mint's release they are currently replenishing the stock.

Decreases in spot drive ASE premiums higher as sellers seek to reduce their losses. This is why premiums have been slowly increasing as spot prices tumbled. There is no shortage of ASEs, only a temporary halt on buying brand new ones from the mint.

Are they really this stupid, or are they destroying the dollar on purpose?

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    omg, it happens every year, u guys r hilarious...

edit to add: at the same time...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    cohodkcohodk Posts: 18,643 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Is the mint trying to support (manipulate) prices? Gotta keep your customers happy. Or perhaps the mint is trying to save one or more distributors.
    Excuses are tools of the ignorant

Knowledge is the enemy of fear

• Options

<< <i>Is the mint trying to support (manipulate) prices? Gotta keep your customers happy. Or perhaps the mint is trying to save one or more distributors. >>

Typical Washington. Left hand not keeping the right hand informed. Mint didn't get the memo that spot prices would be dropping. image

• Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>omg, it happens every year, u guys r hilarious...

edit to add: at the same time... >>

How true...right on cue, but it does bring out the conspiracy nuts....In addition, they are gearing up for 2015 ASE's
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    I guess this means that the price of silver will be dropping again? All this demand for metals are killing the fixed price!
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,000 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Is the mint trying to support (manipulate) prices? Gotta keep your customers happy. Or perhaps the mint is trying to save one or more distributors. >>

Why would the mint care? Others can take up the slack. Maybe they have a waiting list of places wanting to get a distributorship. Does Congress also dictate how much markup the Mint can add to an ASE?
  • Options
    Jinx86Jinx86 Posts: 3,680 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I sold a 1995 box today, sealed with mint straps at spot+11.5 per eagle. Now that's real premium for premium silver eagles.

I think I still have a box of 1993's with straps, not too high a premium on those though.
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    folks like when stuff is Limited Edition, preferably with a genuine Certificate of Authenticity!

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>folks like when stuff is Limited Edition, preferably with a genuine Certificate of Authenticity! >>

Lol, I think it was the straps... Some pretty expensive straps to cut...lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    CaptHenwayCaptHenway Posts: 31,597 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Can't wait for the first whining complaints that the Law of Supply and Demand is still in effect and premiums are increasing.
    Numismatist. 50 year member ANA. Winner of four ANA Heath Literary Awards; three Wayte and Olga Raymond Literary Awards; Numismatist of the Year Award 2009, and Lifetime Achievement Award 2020. Winner numerous NLG Literary Awards.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>folks like when stuff is Limited Edition, preferably with a genuine Certificate of Authenticity! >>

Lol, I think it was the straps... Some pretty expensive straps to cut...lol... >>

What makes you think he'll cut them?
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Next up, the 2015 ASEs come out, and they cost more than 2014s and 2013s, because folks "gotta have 'em NOW! The new ones, gotta have the new ones!!"

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>Next up, the 2015 ASEs come out, and they cost more than 2014s and 2013s, because folks "gotta have 'em NOW! The new ones, gotta have the new ones!!" >>

They should be starting on 2015s soon. Right now most places are charging more for the 2013s than they are the 2014s.
  • Options
    ebaytraderebaytrader Posts: 3,312 ✭✭✭
    Higher premiums quoted on all silver products today.
  • Options
    If any of you are actually surprised by this you haven't been paying attention for the last few years.

Maybe I should post the headlines of Dec 7, 1941....
    Nevermind...
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The mint has working stock of gold from the treasury they can use and "pay back" once sales start by market purchases.

The treasury doesn't have this kind of silver they are sitting upon for the mint to use. The mint has to buy, then hedge, the silver it uses. Fun, no?

So when silver inventory depletes, they are buying. I guess this is what the mint buying looks like? image

Considering their need for premiums to cover fixed costs, it'd seem a good idea to buy working stock worthy inventory levels when silver hits $2 next year. imageimage

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If any of you are actually surprised by this you haven't been paying attention for the last few years.

Maybe I should post the headlines of Dec 7, 1941.... >>

It's a late entry, but already a strong candidate for most irrelevant post of the year! Please do post that dec 7 newspaper frontpage - I'm sure it's exactly what you think it is.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>omg, it happens every year, u guys r hilarious...

edit to add: at the same time... >>

How true...right on cue, but it does bring out the conspiracy nuts....In addition, they are gearing up for 2015 ASE's >>

Five times in a 29 year program is "every year"? THAT deserves one of rt's numerous "lol's". You guys really need to check your facts before spewing your propaganda, because some of us know better.

BTW, I tried to place an order that included a few silver Maples last week, and was told that those would be delayed, because the RCM is rationing them.

Cheers, >>

Yup 5 times in 29 years.... lets see, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010......can't remember the 5th one...
  • Options
    Yea real simple WRM , the other years no one was buyin any...
    No significant buyers... Comprende???... Lol...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    US mint limits its sale of bulk, bullion eagles to 12 US primary dealers. When the US Mint runs out of eagles it is because of the demand from these 12 dealers who are ANTICIPATING they will see demand from those they resell to. Demand in the aftermarket determines whether or not the big dealers end up holding the bag. A lack of enough aftermarket demand will result in weakening sales later by the mint to these same dealers who will now have more inventory than they anticipated. Aftermarket (consumer) demand is best represented by CONTINUED high volume monthly sales by the US mint.

• Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,401 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yup 5 times in 29 years.... lets see, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010......can't remember the 5th one...

They say that short term memory is the first to go. The Mint didn't make any ASEs in 2009.image
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>If any of you are actually surprised by this you haven't been paying attention for the last few years.

You mean December 8th I believe. That is when the newspapers hit the street with the big story.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yup 5 times in 29 years.... lets see, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010......can't remember the 5th one...

They say that short term memory is the first to go. The Mint didn't make any ASEs in 2009.image >>

They must be right about the memory thing because they made a ton of ASE's in 2009 30,459,000 to be exact image
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yup 5 times in 29 years.... lets see, 2013, 2012, 2011, 2010......can't remember the 5th one...

They say that short term memory is the first to go. The Mint didn't make any ASEs in 2009.image >>

They must be right about the memory thing because they made a ton of ASE's in 2009 30,459,000 to be exact image >>

Lack of "proofs" though image
  • Options

<< <i>

You mean December 8th I believe. That is when the newspapers hit the street with the big story. >>

You guys do realize they had afternoon newspapers back in the day, right?

From that article:
    .In a statement sent to its biggest U.S. coin wholesalers, the U.S. Mint says it will continue to produce 2014-dated coins. The Mint will advise when additional inventory will become available for sale without providing further details.
    Nevermind...
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Yea real simple WRM , the other years no one was buyin any...
    No significant buyers... Comprende???... Lol... >>

That dies not make your statement any less incorrect.

Cheers, >>

it was a point in current reality, not a law of physics...
    keceph `anah
  • Options
    They must be right about the memory thing because they made a ton of ASE's in 2009 30,459,000 to be exact image

OMG! It's me! I was thinking Proofs and Burnished Uncs!image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    They must be right about the memory thing because they made a ton of ASE's in 2009 30,459,000 to be exactimage >>

Lack of "proofs" though

Well, dang it. I was thinking about the "W" Uncs and Proofs. What meds do they give for early onset dementia, anyhow?image

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    lol, why can't I get a post to show up until I post twice in a row? What the heck, make it three.

I knew it would happen.
  • Options

<< <i>They must be right about the memory thing because they made a ton of ASE's in 2009 30,459,000 to be exactimage >>

Lack of "proofs" though

What meds do they give for early onset dementia, anyhow?image >>

240 grains of plumbum, cranially injected!image
  • Options

<< <i>The "five times" were in that link - from memory, 2008, 2011, twice in 2012, none in 2013, and now. What you have to consider is why have/are they out?...

It's true that they switch years, but that is usually mid-Dec. With January generally the strongest demand of the year, they have to anticipate that extra demand - have more "input" (blanks). So you would think that they are building stock at this time of year, not running/ran out. They don't have enough input to satisfy current demand, much less increase stock for January. image

My business is slowing, and it's not because of process capability - it's because our input is decreasing. I suspect that is the case here.

Cheers, >>

Can a place like Sunshine Mint, or OPM make more $$ selling blanks to the mint than stamping out their own bars or rounds?