Home U.S. Coin Forum

Very Sad News: Larry Whitlow has Passed --- Rest in Peace

2»

Comments

• alohagaryalohagary Posts: 2,799 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry always purchased coins from me and treated me fairly
  • orevilleoreville Posts: 11,943 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A gentleman and a great coin dealer as well. RIP.

I had not heard of his illness. Is it impolite to ask what happend? It seems so sudden.
    A Collectors Universe poster since 1997!
  • jhdflajhdfla Posts: 3,030 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear this, he was a very nice guy.
  • tyler267tyler267 Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭✭
    Larry was a very nice guy, I'm sorry to hear this. My thoughts and prayers are with his family and friends.
  • saintgurusaintguru Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭
    Larry was the first Chicago coin dealer whom I met around 1978. He had a big heart and a good eye.

And anyone who's been in his office knows about his amazing ecclectic collection of exquisite carvings, objects d'arte and curiosities.

It's been good knowing you, Larry. Namaste. image
  • mommam17mommam17 Posts: 971 ✭✭✭
    When I got back into collecting in 1998, I always went to his website to look at the outstanding commems. RIP, Larry.
  • lavalava Posts: 3,286 ✭✭✭
    Larry had a great eye. He'll be missed.
    I brake for ear bars.
  • WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 9,277 ✭✭✭✭✭
    This is sad. RIP, Larry. image I never did business with him but knew him to be an ethical, prolific dealer.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

• shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I only bought a few coins from him, but it's always sad when one of the "names" leaves us.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,240 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please accept my heartfelt condolences.

• << <i>RIP.

I didn't know him- how old was he? >>

His Obit. said he was 72. He passed on 11/04/14. Larry was a good man and he will be missed.

Everybody's got plans--until they get hit
    --Mike Tyson
  • DrPeteDrPete Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭
    I got to know Larry at the twilight of his rare coin career and he helped me greatly with my pride and joy, my Barber half collection. I remember setting up an appointment with him, bringing my 1/3rd complete set to him in the Chicago area, and he offered me some sage advice and helped me move in the right direction. He was very partial to PCGS-graded coins and convinced me to cross over my NGC coins, mostly MS 63 and 64's. Something like 12 of my 20 coins crossed over and he also advised me to crack out my 1909 in NGC 64 and send it in raw to PCGS; it came back MS 65, my first gem, an important moment in my set building. He had a good eye and was a savvy dealer. I will miss his smile and his great eye.
    Dr. Pete
  • bestdaybestday Posts: 4,239 ✭✭✭✭
    Here is the obitLink

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file