Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum

1971 cello packs in heritage auction

I got a kick out of this

this is from lot 81010 1971 Topps Baseball Cello Pack GAI NM-MT 8 With Torre on Front.

<< <i>NOTE: This is a legitimate 30-card cello and not a fabricated 10-card "grocery" cello pack. >>

and this is lot 81011

<< <i>1971 Topps Baseball Grocery Cello Pack GAI NM-MT 8. >>

Come on! can they really be that big of an operation that they have 2 lots in a row with one stating the illegitimacy of the next ...imageimage

Comments

• grote15grote15 Posts: 29,480 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I got a kick out of this

this is from lot 81010 1971 Topps Baseball Cello Pack GAI NM-MT 8 With Torre on Front.

<< <i>NOTE: This is a legitimate 30-card cello and not a fabricated 10-card "grocery" cello pack. >>

and this is lot 81011

<< <i>1971 Topps Baseball Grocery Cello Pack GAI NM-MT 8. >>

Come on! can they really be that big of an operation that they have 2 lots in a row with one stating the illegitimacy of the next ...imageimage >>

I saw that, LOL...the "Note" was just recently added, too, as it wasn't there initially. Also, the "grocery" cellos contain 12 cards, not 10.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,966 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Not sure how they sell high end cards with the hammer fee they charge? One card was at $3250, and the next bid would have to be at $3500 PLUS a 19% hammer which makes the next bid around $4k. With that kind of action it actually limits people from bidding.
  • GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    And if you live in CA or TX you get hit with another 9% sales tax. That adds almost 29% to the hammer price- talk about getting hammered!

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    imageAnd if you live in CA or TX you get hit with another 9% sales tax. That adds almost 29% to the hammer price- talk about getting hammered!
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • packCollectorpackCollector Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Not sure how they sell high end cards with the hammer fee they charge? >>

19% ischeap compared to most auction houses these days. They were at 19% when everyone else was 15%. Now everyone else is 20-21.5% and they are still 19%
  • thenavarrothenavarro Posts: 7,497 ✭✭✭

<< <i>And if you live in CA or TX you get hit with another 9% sales tax. That adds almost 29% to the hammer price- talk about getting hammered! >>

Yep, it's definitely a deterrent to me when I bid on autographs. If I buy a $4,000 autograph, that's an extra $330 for me (8.25%) as opposed to trying to buy the same autograph at other houses.

It definitely changes my strategy.

Mike
    Buying US Presidential autographs
  • 53BKid53BKid Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Not sure how they sell high end cards with the hammer fee they charge? >>

19% ischeap compared to most auction houses these days. They were at 19% when everyone else was 15%. Now everyone else is 20-21.5% and they are still 19% >>

That's because sellers get 105% of the selling price or more for high end items.
    HAPPY COLLECTING!!!
  • 70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,103 ✭✭✭✭
    And for the 19% you pay for the privilege of waiting 4-5 weeks for them to ship you what you won!

One of the worst customer service AHs in the business, and their prices realized prove it. At least I get bargains for the hassle

Dave
  • Big80sBig80s Posts: 2,758 ✭✭✭
    I'd like to add to this thread - be very careful what you say, joking or not, in a thread pertaining to any major AH's. These are the advertisers around here.
    Let's Rip It: PackGeek.com
    Jeff
  • flatfoot816flatfoot816 Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭
    if you win both lots you may be able to get them to waive the hammer fee for the bogus one because--well--it's bogus!!

hilariousimage
  • esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I've had great experiences working with Calvin Arnold at Heritage, both as a buyer and recently as a seller. Heritage puts together incredibly strong catalogs.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.