Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Barber guys, this one looks counterfeit to me...do you agree?

1901-S Barber Quarter - PCGS Good-06

To me the font on the label looks all wrong and the coins seem to run real close to the rubber ring. And that reverse looks way to high for the wear pattern of a Good-06. Im calling a sandwich job on this one. Your thoughts?

-Steve

Comments

• Options
    BustHalfBrianBustHalfBrian Posts: 4,124 ✭✭✭
    Yup, you're right. This coin has the same cert # but is clearly a different coin.

That's a damned good fake, IMO.
    Lurking and learning since 2010. Full-time professional numismatist.
  • Options
    Only sold Harley parts previously. Hijacked account?
  • Options
    TookybanditTookybandit Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭✭
    This crap makes me so angry! The hobby does not need this image
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭
    pictures saved.

I'll guess this is an example where the two coins were not ground down before entombing.

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    MarkInDavisMarkInDavis Posts: 1,699 ✭✭✭✭
    That is kind of scary.
    image Respectfully, Mark
  • Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭
    looks like it is all hands on deck for me today to do some 01-s image comps.

note to self: self, don't buy 01-s quarters yet, even slabbed ones until i increase my knowledge to authenticate them. image

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can I put this, there's a subliminal line of facts about life that will just scare the bejheevas out of a newcomer getting into collecting coins and that's this posting of counterfeit coins in PCGS holders. Of course, it's natural to think, yes we are likely doing a great deed here reporting but.........how does the incomprehensible understand what's taking place when no further information is given nor is it readily available for one's perusal to guard or protect one's self from getting ripped off. Let's open up a little more guys and give the education, alright........enough said! image But it's really not.

Leo image

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    LanceNewmanOCCLanceNewmanOCC Posts: 19,999 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Let's open up a little more guys and give the education, alright........enough said! image But it's really not.
    Leo image >>

pretty much the best education already lies within the archives.

imo, the best thing to teach members is how to effectively search them. of course, not to forsake new conversation altogether but each time something like this is discussed, it is doubtful that each new time it is discussed, it will yield the benefits of many of the previous conversations combined. for sure it is more work but it also yields more results.

there really a major thing that needs to be done on this forum and that is to make one monster reference thread linking tons of threads together on particular subjects. an appendix if you will.

i would take on starting and updating such a thread but i would require a minimum of 25 people digging for links but would prefer 50-75 people each searching out a particular area of their liking. or perhaps just a list of keywords to search for on a particular subject.

i do keyword searching and after a lot of practice yields fantastic results and i get my answers very shortly *usually*. it is very similar to just using a search engine.

i would keep the thread VERY clean as well. ie:

15. Barber Quarter 1901-S - raw/slabbed/counterfeit info links 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 7 - 8 - 9 - 10

ah well, for now it still remains just a dream.

on my preliminary research, it appears to be only 2 reverse mm positions for the 1901-S 25c. i think i remember others saying that in other threads but alas, i do not recall for certain. i'll dig to find it and update my die pair tracking spreadsheet sometime soon unless someone confirms for me to help expedite my efforts.

i SERIOUSLY need to get ahold of that study that was done to track known dies for us coinage. i think r. burdette mentioned it when he forwarded some die combo numbers a while back.

<--- look what's behind the mask! - cool link 1/NO ~ 2/NNP ~ 3/NNC ~ 4/CF ~ 5/PG ~ 6/Cert ~ 7/NGC 7a/NGC pop~ 8/NGCF ~ 9/HA archives ~ 10/PM ~ 11/NM ~ 12/ANACS cert ~ 13/ANACS pop - report fakes 1/ACEF ~ report fakes/thefts 1/NCIS - Numi-Classes SS ~ Bass ~ Transcribed Docs NNP - clashed coins - error training - V V mm styles -

• Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I totally agree with you but starting an official thread with most using photoshop, the pics are not going to stick. References to books and great websites discerning counterfeits in coins and slabs is a start..........why isn't PCGS behind such an endeavor that at least points people in the right direction. Each classic series must have 5-10 dates that are constantly in suspect. Why not lay it out there in a format that is readily available to every collector who passes through this site. Make it a forum, for that matter, and have it edited with photos secured. Am I clear on this? The way it's setup now, let people get ripped from get go and make them learn on their own and hopefully they don't make too big of mistakes and that they stick around especially when counterfeiting is at an all time high. Just what gives needs to be led by the bigwigs.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,481 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am confused. image You link leads to a line-up of 1901-S Barber Quarters with a couple of them called Good-6. I can't get my bearings here.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,837 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Pass or play ?
    In bowling we say :

"Trust is a must or your game is a bust."

It's not a bust and I have no trust unless I'm handling my own ball.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Looks like the original link is dead and eBay is now redirecting traffic to their best match.image
  • Options
    PatchesPatches Posts: 1,700 ✭✭✭
    Yes, the auction went down. I suppose it a good win, but it's still just a small battle against this growing problem. We can't police everything. Nice job on getting the listing removed image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file