Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

My 63F Set - at what point did I go nuts? PSA 9 Albie Pearson

Hi everyone

This is for all the centering curmudgeons ...

All ye Princes of Proportions, Dukes of Dimensions, Emirs of Edges, Counts of Corners, Barons of Borders, Governors of Gloss, Commandants of Color, Rajahs of Registration...

I've been looking for some time to fill the #2 position in my set. For those who have attempted the 63F set know what I mean.

That would be Ron Hansen.

Hansen turned an unassisted triple play on July 30, 1968 - definitely the rare of rarities in baseball.

I'll tell ya? Finding centered cards for some players in this set is quite a challenge. This one makes me smile.

The scratch and 2 white dots are in my 12 year old scanner.

Thanx for viewing and Happy Halloween!
Mike

Comments

• Options
    mikeschmidtmikeschmidt Posts: 5,756 ✭✭✭
    Wow, Mike, that is drop dead gorgeous, and the centering is off the charts
    I am actively buying MIKE SCHMIDT gem mint baseball cards. Also looking for any 19th century cabinets of Philadephia Nationals. Please PM with additional details.
  • Options
    Nice card!
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Wow, Mike, that is drop dead gorgeous, and the centering is off the charts >>

+1. Congratulations.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    JBrulesJBrules Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on finally finding the perfect #2 card. I was not aware of the centering issues for the Fleer baseball set but I have been looking for 1963 Fleer Len Dawson and it is hard to find any that centered. I looked in the POP report and saw 17 (9's) and two 10's. I went a looked at the last ten PSA 9's that sold and found one maybe two that would match your centering. Some things are worth the wait.
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Very nice Mike! Congrats and enjoy the card.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Your 63 Fleer set makes me envious Mike. Too bad Fleer was not able to expand it. It was not Topps litigation but poor sales that truncated that set
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Your 63 Fleer set makes me envious Mike. Too bad Fleer was not able to expand it. It was not Topps litigation but poor sales that truncated that set >>

Thanx guys!

Hiya Al - have you got some kind of reference to why? As a side note - I've never been able to find a copy of the litigation between Fleer and Topps in 1963 - would sure like to find it - and of course the outcome of the suit?

I've got my eye 2 nice cards right now - unfortunately both 9s - and they want a lot for one of them - the other is up for auction - time will tell.

If ya get chance Al - please PM me about getting together?
    Mike
  • Options
    Congrats Mike! I've always loved the 63 Fleer set. You're getting close to 100%. I can't wait!
  • Options
    IronmanfanIronmanfan Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats!

We had Hansen as a guest at our Fundraising Golf Tournament last summer & it would be hard to find a nicer guy.

IMF
    Successful dealings with Wcsportscards94558, EagleEyeKid, SamsGirl214, Volver, DwayneDrain, Oaksey25, Griffins, Cardfan07, Etc.
  • Options
    CWCW Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Hi everyone

This is for all the centering curmudgeons ...

All ye Princes of Proportions, Dukes of Dimensions, Emirs of Edges, Counts of Corners, Barons of Borders, Governors of Gloss, Commandants of Color, Rajahs of Registration...
    >>

^^^ LOL! Nice! image

Congrats on the card. Nicely centered, indeed!
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's a beauty Mike! Nothing like finding a high end, tough card to fill out a set. Congrats!
  • Options
    paleocardspaleocards Posts: 926 ✭✭✭✭
    Congrats Mike, sometimes it's worth the wait. A real beauty!!
  • Options
    Your entire set, the centering is next to none. Takes extreme discipline to stay that focused. image
  • Options
    bishopbishop Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭
    Mike-- I do not think there was any lawsuit. There were several FTC complaints involving Topps, but I do not think Topps sued Fleer. The Topps player contracts were only exclusive as to the sale of a players' likeness with gum or candy. That's why Fleer used a cookie in 63 and Leaf the marble earlier. Anyone could have sold player cards by themselves, but in the 50s and 60s Topps and Bowman were using cards to sell candy and gum, much like the cigaret makers before them.

In the FTC cases I saw there were sales figures for both Topps and Fleer for 1963 and Fleer sales of their "first series" were so poor they apparently hung up on any plan to extend the set further. Kids apparently wanted gum rather than cookies in 1963.

I have and unopened 1963 Fleer pack. I wonder what the cookie would taste like now. Also, have you ever seen Fleer cards with cookie stains :-)
    Topps Baseball-1948, 1951 to 2017
    Bowman Baseball -1948-1955
    Fleer Baseball-1923, 1959-2007

Al
  • Options

<< <i>Mike-- I do not think there was any lawsuit. There were several FTC complaints involving Topps, but I do not think Topps sued Fleer. The Topps player contracts were only exclusive as to the sale of a players' likeness with gum or candy. That's why Fleer used a cookie in 63 and Leaf the marble earlier. Anyone could have sold player cards by themselves, but in the 50s and 60s Topps and Bowman were using cards to sell candy and gum, much like the cigaret makers before them.

In the FTC cases I saw there were sales figures for both Topps and Fleer for 1963 and Fleer sales of their "first series" were so poor they apparently hung up on any plan to extend the set further. Kids apparently wanted gum rather than cookies in 1963. >>

Fascinating. I think I read somewhere that this same gum/candy exclusivity is why in the early 80s
    donruss gave out puzzle pieces and fleer gave out stickers. Is that right?
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Congratulations! NICE card!
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanx everyone for the kind words of encouragement on my Hansen pickup.

I picked this one up for the centering - I try and try to find 8s but sometimes a card comes up and I lose all control.

I've been reviewing my set - and if I want to find "every" card in the set truly centered? We're probably talking about a 20 year process.
    Mike
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Outstanding! How many cards are you away from completing your centered beauties?
  • Options
    pm sent
    Mystery Card Shopper
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    A great looking card. Congrats.
  • Options
    SDSportsFanSDSportsFan Posts: 5,091 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great looking cards Mike!

They would even please we Superintendents of Centering image

Steve
  • Options