Home U.S. Coin Forum

uploading ebay tracking number

derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
To maintain the FVF 20% discount, top rated sellers not only must upload shipping tracking info within their stated handling time, they also must ensure that an initial scan by the post office has also been accomplished within the stated handling time. I've learned the hard way the only way to ensure this occurs is to deliver the item to the PO and request a scan for online generated postage labels. Just putting it in the mailbox can affect your fee discount.

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

Comments

• Not a top rated seller, but I always ask for a scan "receipt" - printed copy - just in case.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Too many sellers are printing the label to upload tracking but waiting days before actually dropping off the package, so I'm not surprised by this requirement.

I wouldn't waste time waiting on line at the PO, though~every package I drop off inside the lobby is scanned that same day anyway. I'd make an exception maybe for packages insured over $750.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • bigjpstbigjpst Posts: 3,031 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I haven't had an issue with mine, and I usually don't have them scan the packages unless they are going express. Sometimes I look at ebay, and they don't have the tracking information uploaded until the following day, but my seller dashboard only shows 1 package not uploaded in time. But every time I do one of their stupid seller surveys, I make sure to put in the comments how stupid I think this defect is.
  • amwldcoinamwldcoin Posts: 11,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do deliver my coins to the Post Office and have them scanned and get a receipt. I still have some that do not seem to meet eBay's requirements. I think there is a problem with eBay's interface with the Post Office sometimes. I talked with another seller about this very same thing yesterday and he says it doesn't hit ebay until it leaves your Post Office and is scanned in at the distribution center. Either way ebay faults a seller even though many times the fault lies with the Post Office. How fair is this?
  • OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I've been in touch with eBay about that issue now for almost 1 month. It appears to be a software glitch that eBay is fully aware of and are working to have it corrected. Unfortunately, that may not occur until January.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the low sales volume I have been having on eBay I just have a hard time caring about their stupid carrot on a stick any more. Most items only sell if I'm loosing money on them anyway. image
  • derrybderryb Posts: 36,111 ✭✭✭✭✭
    So, printed the latest batch of labels and delivered shipments to PO at 8:15 this morning within 12 hours of sales. PO scans items into system at the counter and 2 hours later tracking shows "The seller has provided a tracking number. The tracking status will be updated once the shipment reaches the carrier." image

• AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It has little to do creating a better selling experience, and more about creating a guise to get back the 20%. All while buyers can take days to pay. I never had complaints about shipping time before this policy. eBay cannot grow any other way, so they are going to extract "growth" from the existing system. In 12 months, the only folks that will have the discount are the businesses that sell high volumes of products that have an infrastructure that includes very methodical routines.

Time for a long term short play on the stock.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • airplanenutairplanenut Posts: 21,881 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>So, printed the latest batch of labels and delivered shipments to PO at 8:15 this morning within 12 hours of sales. PO scans items into system at the counter and 2 hours later tracking shows "The seller has provided a tracking number. The tracking status will be updated once the shipment reaches the carrier." image >>

USPS tracking is often not available for hours after a scan. Does the tracking number show scanned on the usps site yet?
    JK Coin Photography - eBay Consignments | High Quality Photos | LOW Prices | 20% of Consignment Proceeds Go to Pancreatic Cancer Research

<< <i>

<< <i>So, printed the latest batch of labels and delivered shipments to PO at 8:15 this morning within 12 hours of sales. PO scans items into system at the counter and 2 hours later tracking shows "The seller has provided a tracking number. The tracking status will be updated once the shipment reaches the carrier." image >>

USPS tracking is often not available for hours after a scan. Does the tracking number show scanned on the usps site yet? >>

4 hours later. . . No.

• Coins101Coins101 Posts: 2,602 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've been in touch with eBay about that issue now for almost 1 month. It appears to be a software glitch that eBay is fully aware of and are working to have it corrected. Unfortunately, that may not occur until January. >>

Just more $$$$ for ebay. why would they be in a rush to fix it?
    Per ebay account supervisor: the requirement for shipper to validate tracking (scan) does not have to met withing the handling time requirement, just has to eventually show up. Was put into affect because of sellers who upload dummy tracking numbers in order to comply with the tracking uploading time limit. I'm satisfied.

• cucamongacoincucamongacoin Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭
    I was having a problem where items were often not being scanned until 1 or 2 stops down the road. I complained via the website, saying that I only expected the service offered at the price asked. I never heard from anybody, but it seems that the scanning is being performed in a more diligent manner at my particular unit. It's probably just my imagination, but we'll hope for the best
    <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://www.ebay.com/sch/cucamo...?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc="> MY EBAY
  • hiijackerhiijacker Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Per ebay account supervisor: the requirement for shipper to validate tracking (scan) does not have to met withing the handling time requirement, just has to eventually show up. Was put into affect because of sellers who upload dummy tracking numbers in order to comply with the tracking uploading time limit. I'm satisfied. >>

Is that true? Say I am out of office. You are saying I can print a shipping label thru ebay and then doip item off at post office 2 days later and not get dinged by I once did this and got dinged.
    Buyer of all vintage Silver Bars. PM me
    Cashback from Mr. Rebates

<< <i>

<< <i>Per ebay account supervisor: the requirement for shipper to validate tracking (scan) does not have to met withing the handling time requirement, just has to eventually show up. Was put into affect because of sellers who upload dummy tracking numbers in order to comply with the tracking uploading time limit. I'm satisfied. >>

Is that true? Say I am out of office. You are saying I can print a shipping label thru ebay and then doip item off at post office 2 days later and not get dinged by I once did this and got dinged. >>

One of my items was delivered to post office within handling time but did not get scanned until delivered five days later. Ebay supervisor told me that that item would not give me a "ding."

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Is that true? Say I am out of office. You are saying I can print a shipping label thru ebay and then doip item off at post office 2 days later and not get dinged by I once did this and got dinged. >>

The PO may return your item because of a "stale date" and it appears, that eBay will also be able to ding you, if tracking indicates "received" at PO, more than the 2 days after the label date.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,977 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Too many sellers are printing the label to upload tracking but waiting days before actually dropping off the package, so I'm not surprised by this requirement.

I wouldn't waste time waiting on line at the PO, though~every package I drop off inside the lobby is scanned that same day anyway. I'd make an exception maybe for packages insured over $750. >>

An advantage of having a clerk scan it is that they weigh it and the weight is printed on the receipt. Pretty hard for a scammer to say you sent an empty box.
  • grote15grote15 Posts: 29,479 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Too many sellers are printing the label to upload tracking but waiting days before actually dropping off the package, so I'm not surprised by this requirement.

I wouldn't waste time waiting on line at the PO, though~every package I drop off inside the lobby is scanned that same day anyway. I'd make an exception maybe for packages insured over $750. >>

An advantage of having a clerk scan it is that they weigh it and the weight is printed on the receipt. Pretty hard for a scammer to say you sent an empty box. >>

No, they can claim you sent them a couple of bottlecaps instead, LOL..

ETA: Today, I received a package that had no tracking updates until it reached my local PO this morning. I thought the seller was hadn't even mailed the package, but he had days ago.

Per USPS regulations, only USPS Express Mail is supposed to guarantee tracking updates, though most packages shipped first class or priority mail do, as well.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,123 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Private insurance makes me
    Double box
    Avoid coin names
    Avoid the rattle
    Get it scanned and a receipt when it's dropped off

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file