Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

1980 Topps baseball wax rack case **Case was Sold**

Saw this case on the BBCE site and was wondering if we might have enough interest here on CU to break this case, maybe if we can get a small CU group rip discount from Steve? At the 25K list price, unit price for each 1980 wax rack would be $130. These wax racks consist of three 1980 Topps baseball wax packs in a soft plastic sleeve. Some of you may also remember that a Henderson RC that was pulled from a 1980 wax rack that Justin's Shoebox sold a couple years back graded PSA 10. It doesn't get any better than product like this from a sealed case. Any thoughts on the possibility of filling all 192 slots on this case if we attempted a group break?

1980 Topps baseball wax racks

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.

Comments

• Options
    Without taking this as a firm commitment just yet, I would be interested in buying three.
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,531 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have sent an email to Steve and will update with his response.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In for 5, maybe 10 if we need to sell it out. I assume this gets wrapped FASC!! ha ha
    Mike
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Cool item. I have not seen one of those cases before.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    mikelowell25mikelowell25 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭
    Thanks tim--I would be in for one!!
  • Options
    mdkuommdkuom Posts: 969 ✭✭✭
    You know I would be interested!
  • Options
    EchoCanyonEchoCanyon Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for 2, just sayin'
  • Options
    Tibbs4Tibbs4 Posts: 66 ✭✭
    I would take one.
  • Options
    i would pick up 2-3
  • Options
    aconteaconte Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭
    Pic is gone. I would like to have seen it. Hope you got it Tim.

T
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    I'd be in for at least 1. Tough price though. It's one of two form factors I don't have for that year, but dang, is the 130 wrapped, labeled FASC, and shipped?
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    Steve just emailed me that case sold today. Maybe next time.

• Options
    Darn, I was in for 24....as long as I can get two empty wax boxes thrown in=)
  • Options
    Grote bought if for himself. image
  • Options

<< <i>Grote bought if for himself. image >>

LOL, whaddya think I have Dboneesq's money?? image

• Options
    yep IT WAS SOLD image
  • Options
    vintagefunvintagefun Posts: 1,975 ✭✭✭
    Wax boxes sometimes have a hard time selling at 900 (25/pack) but this goes off at 43/pack?

Is there that much of a premium for this form factor when wax packs go for 30 and racks go for 95?

I'm truly curious and not trying to make a statement.

Thanks
    Jim
    52-90 All Sports, Mostly Topps, Mostly HOF, and some assorted wax.
  • Options
    I wondered the same, Jim, and just assumed that the premium was for the fact that we see that it's from a sealed case. But that's just a guess, as I am a rookie in the unopened world.
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Wax boxes sometimes have a hard time selling at 900 (25/pack) but this goes off at 43/pack?

Is there that much of a premium for this form factor when wax packs go for 30 and racks go for 95?

Thanks
    Jim >>

I think the packaging protects the cards better than regular wax boxes. The price was a little higher than I expected since these aren't trays that have a little extra protection.

EDIT: and it came from a sealed case!
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Wax boxes sometimes have a hard time selling at 900 (25/pack) but this goes off at 43/pack?

Thanks
    Jim >>

Jim,

There's definitely a nice premium for both wax racks and trays. They are factory sealed and also much tougher to find, so as an unopened collector they have nice appeal and are much tougher to find than loose packs. Same goes for super cellos vs regular cellos.

In fact, this is the first time I've ever even seen a 1980 wax rack sealed case. For an unopened collector, scarcity is definitely part of the equation, and cards from these, as anyone who opened any of Justin's racks knows, are pristine, too.

• Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thanks
    Jim >>

Jim,

There's definitely a nice premium for both wax racks and trays. They are factory sealed and also much tougher to find, so as an unopened collector they have nice appeal and are much tougher to find than loose packs. Same goes for super cellos vs regular cellos.

In fact, this is the first time I've ever even seen a 1980 wax rack sealed case. For an unopened collector, scarcity is definitely part of the equation, and cards from these, as anyone who opened any of Justin's racks knows, are pristine, too. >>

It is also my experience that the packs from wax trays and wax racks tend to stand the test of time from a preservation standpoint significantly better than other packagings. I think several people here would agree with that assessment.

Whether that is worth a 70% premium we could debate, but based on ripping experience the cards that I have pulled from wax trays and racks are amongst the best preserved ones I have ever pulled from unopened of that era.

Dave
  • Options
    handymanhandyman Posts: 5,244 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That is an awesome sale!!
    Watch the 10 pop change with this one!

Those cards will be crisp.