Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New here. Want to start off chatting about 86 Fleer Jordan & 84 Star : )

2»

Comments

• Options
    gregmo32gregmo32 Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭
    When you paid $2400 for yours three years ago, did you know you were paying almost double the going rate at the time? Did you just think it was under-graded as a BGS 9? Was it an auction?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

<< <i>When you paid $2400 for yours three years ago, did you know you were paying almost double the going rate at the time? Did you just think it was under-graded as a BGS 9? Was it an auction? >>

My thoughts exactly!
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Buy high sell low....sounds familiar.
  • Options

<< <i>When you paid $2400 for yours three years ago, did you know you were paying almost double the going rate at the time? Did you just think it was under-graded as a BGS 9? Was it an auction? >>

No I vividly remember the market at the time. Strong 9's were going for 2k easy.... I'm talking like 9.5, 9,9,9 types.

I had not real market on the card to compare it to really. I still don't even today. The closest was the 2600 for the PWCC auction which that card was a whole grading point off on subs. I got my BGS 9 for 2400 and even then I thought I got a great deal because it's only 0.5 away from gem mint & has 10 centering. So it's a rare BGS 9 that's for sure.

As for the way it's cut? Man idk, looks good to me. And if it is cut, well beckett sure didn't catch it which would be sad. I love the card!
  • Options

<< <i>Buy high sell low....sounds familiar. >>

Am I missing something? Why would I sell it and even if I did, it wouldn't sell low trust me.
  • Options
    Did you buy it in an auction format?
    I am buying and trading for RC's of Wilt Chamberlain, George Mikan, Bill Russell, Oscar Robertson, Jerry West, and Bob Cousy!
    Don't waste your time and fees listing on ebay before getting in touch me by PM or at gregmo32@aol.com !
  • Options

No I actually believe the grade is exactly what it should be. I never even considered sending it in for a ''bump'' because it wouldn't deserve it. 98% of the edges are flawless, but that top right chip does bug me lol... But I'm a perfectionist with my cards. Even little flaws bug me, but it's not like I can just go out and buy a BGS 10 anytime soon lol

The BGS case looks fine to me. And I have to believe that beckett after all these years can tell whether a card has been mis-cut or altered in any way. They're supposed to be the paid professionals. But from my normal non-professional eye, the card looks great. Top bottom centering in person looks legit 50/50 to me... at worst to me 52/48 ... I wouldn't have got it if it looked bad.

I got the card on a BIN or best offer on ebay. Offer was accepted : )

Even if someone wants to say he got the better of me 3 years ago.... Well who's laughing now. Strong 9 like this should just keep appreciating I hope lol... But even if it doesn't, it's my dream card & I wouldn't sell it anyway.
  • Options
    You should turn on your private message feature.

What other cards do you have in your collection?
  • Options

<< <i>You should turn on your private message feature.

What other cards do you have in your collection? >>

How do I do that?

Only have the Jordan RC for now. Just started on him. Well I mean besides all the base from my childhood years in 9 pocket binders lol

Other high end cards are all Randy Moss

Did it
  • Options
    Oh wow THANK YOU!!! How'd you get that?

Was it sold in the past somewhere? Link? I'll have to save that pic! It's my card alright lol... top right edge chip & all haha

Now that there's a legit better scan... That looks 50/50 to me lol

I don't have an actual scanner, I will keep this pic for my personal use since I own it now haha

Please let me know where u found it. I'm real happy to finally have a quality picture to use! Thanks a million!
  • Options

<< <i>It sold 3 or 4 times before you purchased it.

What is your eBay user ID you used to buy? >>

Any price info?
  • Options
    I just took another pic.

I think the card is without question pristine centering.

Love the card & I know I overpaid at the time, but it was worth it to me : ) .... Wherever you found that, any scans of the back so I can save that too? Thanks!

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsefd4e5ae.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>It sold 3 or 4 times before you purchased it.

What is your eBay user ID you used to buy? >>

Any price info? >>

Answer my question and I will answer your question.

You're welcome for the image! >>

Why do you need to know my ebay user i.d for? Curious? I ask this simply because you were the one saying how the centering is off and how you question the grade.

You have the scan of the card now in full HD... Now what are your thoughts? What does my ebay ID have to do with anything? Not being a smart ass, just wondering how that has to do with the card? Do you not believe I bought it on ebay for 2400? LOL
  • Options
    Ebay id's as in plural....he has many.
  • Options

<< <i>The centering now looks much better but the top left corner looks worse.

The pricing engine I use lists user IDs and by you providing it, I can then only look from your transaction back and provide the data. Otherwise, you are wasting my time. >>

I never asked you to provide data. I don't care what it ever sold for before I bought it lol

Thanks for the image though! And Mr. Mint another false allegation. Not true at all.
  • Options

<< <i>Ebay id's as in plural....he has many. >>

Why would you say something like this?
  • Options
    Back on topic. Anyone else have some Jordan RC's to share?
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards. One of the reasons I like the psa set registry is I load the cards I own on the site. I am okay with everyone looking at the cert numbers. Some do not. I have a long way to go about 400 loaded of the many I own. I don't know you. So I give everyone a chance. I do not collect basketball. But did grow up in the 80's so trip down memory lane.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>I never asked you to provide data. I don't care what it ever sold for before I bought it lol >>

Wednesday October 29, 2014 1:59 PM

<< <i>Any price info? >>

You're a piece of work. Enjoy your PSA 8 or maybe 8.5 Jordan! >>

Well yeah after you randomly post a pic of MY card lol

Thanks for the scan though. PSA 8 or 8.5? Ok bud whatever you say. I probably should've hid my serial number because of random people like this guy.

You already know it's a legit BGS 9 because obviously you have all the data smh. Some people I swear.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    This thread is fascinating. Not sure how it turned into a CSI episode on the new guy's card. I'm curious to the back story but not interested in getting involved in muddy waters.

I will say that's a very nice MJ rookie. Much nicer than mine. I was pumped when mine transferred from a BGS 7.5 to a PSA 7. Centering isn't great but it's still an iconic card.
  • Options
    Not sure what the big deal is about this card. The local guy on Craigslist has dozens of them in mint condition.
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is fascinating. Not sure how it turned into a CSI episode on the new guy's card. I'm curious to the back story but not interested in getting involved in muddy waters.

I will say that's a very nice MJ rookie. Much nicer than mine. I was pumped when mine transferred from a BGS 7.5 to a PSA 7. Centering isn't great but it's still an iconic card. >>

I honestly have no clue what the heck went on in this thread? First it was "he's stealing pictures, that's not his card" which I proved completely inaccurate... Then it's "it's not really 10 centering" ... Also not true. Card is 50/50 or as close as can get in every picture available .... And THEN it's "he has multiple ebay accounts".... What!?!?!? The card is NOT for sale lol. I simply said I have the card & posted pictures. I got some guy I don't know asking me for personal info, sorry I don't just give that stuff out randomly online. Identity theft is rampant. As it is the guy previously already posted a picture of MY CARD that I've never even seen before

It's a legit HIGH grade BGS 9, which I'm VERY grateful to own, and to say otherwise is silly. End of story.

But in the end I jus want to talk about Jordan rookies shares stories ect.

Also saying I'm this person or that person with no proof is just rude. The end
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Welcome to the boards Ben image

As you can tell by my user ID, Jordan is half of my collecting focus. I vividly remember discovering basketball cards in 1988 and dying to add the 86/87 Fleer MJ to my collection in 1990 right after the boom in demand. I was 14 at the time and the card was selling for $175 overnight after being about $10 the year before. I had been looking in all my local shops for a MINT copy and had saved up about $100. Walked into a shop one day and the guy had a full box of 86/87 Fleer basketball in his diplay case that he was selling by the pack. I think he was asking $100/pack. Turns out the night before he cracked open a case of 1988 Fleer Baseball (yes baseball) to put out for box sales and the case had been resealed by the guy he bought it from. The guy who resealed the 1988 Fleer baseball case filled it with a bunch of junk sticker boxes as a scam. Buried in the case was a single box of 86/87 Fleer basketball (which was total junk in 1988 when the guy resealed it). So the shop owner went from pissed to extatic on his find. Since he had his good fortune in finding the box, he broke one pack open and go figure he pulled the Jordan. He was asking $200 on the Jordan and I negotiated him down to $150 given his good fortune. My dad chipped in the extra $50 as a loan to me and I had my first Jordan. It took me 10 weeks of mowing the lawn that summer to pay off the $50 I borrowed from my dad (only got paid $5/mowing), but it was the greatest collecting moment for me still. I wound up submitting the card in 1998 and it came back a PSA 9.

I have owned a ton of 86/87 Fleer MJ's over the years and a few 84/85 Star as well (mostly sealed bags). I never tire of looking at those two cards. Both are rock solid investments in high grade and the demand will always outweight the supply. I am with you on preferring BGS cases and so all my MJ cards are in Beckett holders. My wish list now consists of Fleer wax boxes from 86, 87, 88 and 89 as they seem to really be drying up.

Best of luck on your MJ quests!! >>

What an awesome awesome story bro! Thanks for sharing! It's stories like that one that makes me love this hobby. It should always be more about the memories & the passion for the cards/players! I admit it's an awesome bonus to know that certain cards could also be worth good money, but in the long run I wouldn't ever want to part with my Jordan cards no matter what! If there was a family emergency then yes, bye bye Fleer RC in a second... But aside from that, it was my dream card growing up just gawking at it in magazines.... And it's a dream card now! Everytime I just glimpse at my Fleer RC I still am in awe! I can't wait to feel a brand new level of that someday with the Star lol!

You think BGS 9's with high subs & strong PSA 9's still have some room to grow? >>

Yes PSA 9's have gone up to over $2500-3000 and a year or two ago they were less than $2000. Similar price increase for BGS high end 9's.
    So there is room to grow for this card as the demand is outrageous as he is the best basketball player by far of all time.
  • Options
    California?? This guy just never gives up.

Banned from Blowout
  • Options
    Yes sir California. Care to share who you THINK you may be talking to ?

And yes I was banned over there for supporting Randy Moss and not jumping on the I hate him band wagon. Simple politics over there. It was a small handful of Moss haters who didn't like me & used their buddy system with the mods. Case closed. You've proven nothing other than how ridiculous your conspiracies are.
  • Options
    This all just feels..........a little too forced.
  • Options
    Ok...from mrmint's link I can see why some of you are skeptical.

Ben, I'm confused by your original post comments about your BGS 9 MJ like "Today I am proud to finally own one". This thread shows you got it over 4 years ago. Appears to be original pics in the linked post. What happened to your BGS 9.5?
  • Options
    scashaggyscashaggy Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭
    Interesting read, this thread so far. I'm not sure what to make of it.

However it goes, welcome to the boards.

I too grew up watching MJ and always wanted an MJ RC. I picked up two in the past several years. One BGS and one PSA in a complete set I purchased.

I also was interested in the early Star cards and know what you mean about them not seeming real. The internet has made the world a much smaller place and now we can get cards from anywhere in the world not just the card shop we happen to be near.

I liken this to band t-shirts and import CD's in the 80's and 90's. You could only get them out of the back of magazines if you were lucky and they weren't cheap. Now just do an ebay search and you can get any shirts or CD's you want. Heck, you can just download many of those albums now. That's the future of cards, virtual.
  • Options
    Yes I did get it 3-4 years ago. I said that already in this thread. BGS 9.5 x 4 is long gone. Had to get a house since then.

I also still own a BGS 10 SP Moss RC

Still don't understand where the confusion is here?

I bought the card 3-4 years ago. Still have it. It's a legit BGS 9 with 10 centering. I am not selling the card or trading it. This is so bizarre to me. YES I am benmoss from BO. I was banned for basically defending myself. I'm not & never have been any other name. The end
  • Options
    Gotcha. Not trying to pile on. It's an interesting story.
  • Options
    I think he's suggesting that using the phrase "Today I am proud to finally own one" is kind of weird considering you bought it three years ago. Almost as though you came here today with some intention other than just joining the board and introducing yourself. I would think that a new member who is a Jordan fan would have been a little more transparent about when it was obtained.
  • Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    It looks like the BO experience ended about 2 1/2 years ago. Are we holding grudges after that long. Give the man a chance here at the CU forum. If he implodes so be it but
    until then how about we give him a fresh start?
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options
    Identity theft? Man, no one can do anything with your eBay ID. Only reason NOT to give it out is because you're hiding something. Not saying you are, but seriously, just say it some people will move on ...
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭
    A few pages back I thought this was going to turn into an epic thread. Hasn't happened yet. Waiting for more developments and still holding out hope for epic status.
    Gonna get some popcorn in the meantime
  • Options

<< <i>I think he's suggesting that using the phrase "Today I am proud to finally own one" is kind of weird considering you bought it three years ago. Almost as though you came here today with some intention other than just joining the board and introducing yourself. I would think that a new member who is a Jordan fan would have been a little more transparent about when it was obtained. >>

Geez wow. Sorry for saying "today I'm proud to finally own one" .... I just figured you guys didn't know me and would eventually ask if I myself have one. Yes I do and yes I am proud of it. It's still my dream card!

I've been gone from card forums for over 4 years. Crazy how much I must've affected those FEW BO members. They must still be upset because they know I got the best of them. I'm a family man now & only care about having fun in this hobby. Nothing more, nothing less. From the opening page I was accused of stealing the picture & then apparently being accused of some type of fraud where no proof was given. Truly unbelievable. Shows what type of people I had to deal with WAY back then at BO!

Anyways... To the ones who have been nice & supportive... Thank you & yes let's share our passion for this hobby. It's great hearing from all you guys.
  • Options

<< <i>I've been gone from card forums for over 4 years. >>

You have been posting on Beckett as bengu as recently as June of 2013. Four years? Did we just catch you in another mistake?
  • Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    The God complex that a few of you have is simply amazing. Let the guy post, and if he proves to be a crook then rail him like some of you get off on doing. I have never in my life seen more of a "guilty until proven innocent" atmosphere than the one that exists on these boards. Whether he is or isn't someone from the past, who cares! People are allowed to make mistakes (aside from on these boards anyway). Let him share his passion for the hobby on the board and if your really that darn suspicious, watch him from the background rather than trying to derail his thread. I was enjoying the thread until a couple of you decided to derail it.
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    Lol wow... Sorry I didn't know you guys counted beckett as a card forum. It's dead over there.

Again how is this news? I came here to talk sports cards. If you guys are into some other weird form of communication count me out & I'll be gone. Absolutely nothing I've posted now or ever on BO, beckett, or here has been shady. All BS non sense by a FEW grudge holding people
  • Options
    GOTTA LOVE THE GOD PEOPLE HERE - LIKE SANTA CLAUS AND FEASTER BUNNY
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>"Like I said, welcome!"

No, what you actually did was to assassinate a man's character. Totally uncalled for and the reason so many of this forums
    better contributors stay silent or leave all together. >>

Actually it's because of comments like this (which are uncalled for) that people don't post here. This member has been banned on at least two other forums and ripped someone off on a Jordan rookie. You want trash like that here? Sounds like it. >>

Got some proof of the rip off? Im betting you have talked to all parties involved, gathered the info and included
    it in your report folder right next to the ebay sellers in need of your help on there sales.image

A quick recap I think
    So im guessing a few think this guy is joey f, I don't know him so cant say.
    He don't say his ebay id so must be a crook
    the case is frosted and card switched
    he over payed for a card he wanted, go figure
    Im sure im missing more but for now my thoughts
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8
  • Options
    I'm more than willing to provide my ebay name if someone wants to DM me...

I just don't understand what that has to do with anything? Was it that guys way of trying to say I didn't really purchase the card and instead it must be stolen???????

He's since taken down his scan of the card, it's the exact same one as my pictures because it's MY card lol

He somehow magically found a HD scan of MY card & even was able to tell me how it sold 3-4 times prior... So if he has that kind of info, it should be pretty easy to just check the last sale of it (which would have been 2011) and walah: There I am and the 2400 I bought it for. It's just character assassination or maybe even jealousy because he made a point to try and down grade the card. He called it out about the centering and then the corners lmao! He must have no clue about old 86 Fleer cards... My only guess
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭
    This title got me to thinking about my first Jordan pull - Jordan

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>This title got me to thinking about my first Jordan pull - Jordan >>

Great story what grade did your pack pulled Jordan get?
  • Options
    This thread is giving me a headache. The man wants to talk Jordan and share Jordan cards, let him. Those who want to participate, please do but give him a chance. I will say however BenG, as someone mentioned, to say you are proud to finally own it implies that you have NEVER owned it before. Choose your words carefully because this site does have a few detectives and they are quite good. Get caught lying or trying to cheat someone here and you are branded for life, no matter how many user ID's you come back as. They will spot you out.

Other than that, welcome to the jungle.
  • Options
    ldfergldferg Posts: 6,739 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

Great story what grade did your pack pulled Jordan get? >>

An 8, then a 9 the second time around. image

Thanks,

David (LD_Ferg)

1985 Topps Football (starting in psa 8) - #9 - started 05/21/06
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

Great story what grade did your pack pulled Jordan get? >>

An 8, then a 9 the second time around. image >>

Very nice it's a nice looking card!
  • Options

<< <i>This thread is giving me a headache. The man wants to talk Jordan and share Jordan cards, let him. Those who want to participate, please do but give him a chance. I will say however BenG, as someone mentioned, to say you are proud to finally own it implies that you have NEVER owned it before. Choose your words carefully because this site does have a few detectives and they are quite good. Get caught lying or trying to cheat someone here and you are branded for life, no matter how many user ID's you come back as. They will spot you out.

Other than that, welcome to the jungle. >>

Thanks. Yeah I've noticed all the detectives here apparently lol. I have nothing to hide. I've been the same good person all these years in this hobby.

Yes I indeed have been banned from BO. I don't regret it at all. I stood up for myself against a bunch of guys like the ones here who attack unwarranted.

I have NEVER been "Joey" or "Suggs55" ... To suggest this proves false detective work and makes a joke of this actually.
  • Options
    LMAO at "walah"
  • Options
    ARGGHU ? WALAH AMUSSES DANBASSETTE AHHH UGHA UGHA AHHHHHHH

BENGIE DNICE ALL SUCH GREAT NAMES you all em bare arse yourselves MIRROR LOOK IN IT UMMMGHAHHHHHH ?

I LOVRMAN THOUGH NDOGGY AND PEEPS ELSE
  • Options
    Can I suggest that everyone who is convinced BenG is up to "no good" give him a break and treat him as though this is a probationary period?

It could well be that he was the victim of an over-aggressive group on the other boards and he is just looking for a place to talk cardboard.

If he proves to be a problem here, then by all means, pile on. But I am sure at this point, no one will want to bank wire him cash anyway. Everyone knows to be cautious.

Now, maybe let the new guy breathe a bit...