Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

New here. Want to start off chatting about 86 Fleer Jordan & 84 Star : )

Hi fellow collectors!

My name is Benjamin and I am brand new here & hoping to get to have some fun sharing stories, thoughts, and maildays with other card collectors!

Let me start by saying I grew up idolizing (like millions of others) Michael Jordan & collecting what I could afford on allowance lol

Growing up my dream card was the iconic 1986 Fleer RC # 57... Today I am proud to finally own one & would like to see if any others on here love that card as well? Anybody want to share their's and a little story about how they came to acquire it?

Also I am fascinated by the 1984 Star #101 Jordan "XRC" ... Growing up it was so elusive, I almost thought of it as mythical lol! Almost wondering to myself "does this extremely oddball card really even exist?" hahaha... But now all grown up, I just have so many thoughts & questions about it! Like why is it that PSA still won't grade this other iconic Jordan RC? And how can we all be that confident in the BGS examples knowing PSA won't grade them on the other end? I want a REAL Star '84 Jordan one day & will need to do some major investigating before picking one up. If all checks out, I one day soon want to pick up a BGS 9 Star Jordan... There are two on ebay currently with BIN's of 10K... Now I know that's a LOT of money... But when considering that PSA 10 Fleer RC's sell for about that, it seems like a steal to pick up a mint Star MJ at that price... I have to believe it will appreciate in value BIG TIME in the future! And now would be the perfect time to pick up a nice mint copy.

Anyways sorry for the long first post! But please fellow Jordan RC fans/collectors... share your thoughts, stories, and pics with me : )

I currently have a beautiful BGS 9 Fleer Jordan with subs 10 centering, 9.5 edges, 9 corners, and 9 surface! I know I was lucky to find one with perfect centering and someday hopefully soon I can add that BGS 9 Star XRC to put beside it!

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/MJBENRC.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Thanks for reading!

Comments

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    I think you will find many lovers of the 2 Jordan's here. You are amongst friends...

The question on the Star Jordan and why PSA won't grade it has been brought up a lot. It's a widely counterfeited card and PSA just doesn't have the confidence to grade them, at least that's what their story was at first. Now, I don't think they care enough to change their minds. BGS grades them but that doesn't mean every star Jordan in a BGS holder is real.

The star Jordan is definitely undervalued IMO, but like it or not, PSA rules the graded card market and if they're not grading it, it really kills the cards potential to catch up to the 1986F.

Your BGS 9 is just awesome. That 10 centering is huge. Great card and welcome to the boards

The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    BenG (Suggs55),

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on snagging that Jordan photo. I have many photos, too. One day I will post pictures of my T206 Wagner.

• Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭

<< <i>BenG (Suggs55),

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on snagging that Jordan photo. I have many photos, too. One day I will post pictures of my T206 Wagner. >>

Ok, so what am I missing?
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BenG (Suggs55),

Welcome to the boards and congratulations on snagging that Jordan photo. I have many photos, too. One day I will post pictures of my T206 Wagner. >>

Ok, so what am I missing? >>

Here's snip from a member on a site he was banned from:

"guy is the ultimate loser. Just google benmoss84 or benmoss81 he comments on every youtube video off the wall site their is. Total fraud with cards he has or does not have....Been snagged photobucket robbing for over a year now. His pop pop is obviously missing in his life and this is is way of feeling normal. He is trying to pull off the what he thinks is a "great get over" by switching players all the way around"
  • Options

<< <i>BenG (Suggs55),

????? Wow lol

And thanks clockwork!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>BenG (Suggs55),

????? Wow lol

And thanks clockwork! >>

Like I said, welcome!
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>BenG (Suggs55),

Ok, so what am I missing? >>

Here's snip from a member on a site he was banned from:

"guy is the ultimate loser. Just google benmoss84 or benmoss81 he comments on every youtube video off the wall site their is. Total fraud with cards he has or does not have....Been snagged photobucket robbing for over a year now. His pop pop is obviously missing in his life and this is is way of feeling normal. He is trying to pull off the what he thinks is a "great get over" by switching players all the way around" >>

What? Who said this lol?
  • Options
    vols1vols1 Posts: 770 ✭✭✭
    They grade Star baseball but not basketball. Probably not worth the extra effort to grade basketball since there are so few cards. It's not hard to tell the difference between real and fake in person so I would be confident in Beckett's abilities. There are a lot more counterfeit 1986 Fleer cards out there then 1984 Star cards.
  • Options

<< <i>Hi fellow collectors!

My name is Benjamin and I am brand new here & hoping to get to have some fun sharing stories, thoughts, and maildays with other card collectors!

Let me start by saying I grew up idolizing (like millions of others) Michael Jordan & collecting what I could afford on allowance lol

Growing up my dream card was the iconic 1986 Fleer RC # 57... Today I am proud to finally own one & would like to see if any others on here love that card as well? Anybody want to share their's and a little story about how they came to acquire it?

Also I am fascinated by the 1984 Star #101 Jordan "XRC" ... Growing up it was so elusive, I almost thought of it as mythical lol! Almost wondering to myself "does this extremely oddball card really even exist?" hahaha... But now all grown up, I just have so many thoughts & questions about it! Like why is it that PSA still won't grade this other iconic Jordan RC? And how can we all be that confident in the BGS examples knowing PSA won't grade them on the other end? I want a REAL Star '84 Jordan one day & will need to do some major investigating before picking one up. If all checks out, I one day soon want to pick up a BGS 9 Star Jordan... There are two on ebay currently with BIN's of 10K... Now I know that's a LOT of money... But when considering that PSA 10 Fleer RC's sell for about that, it seems like a steal to pick up a mint Star MJ at that price... I have to believe it will appreciate in value BIG TIME in the future! And now would be the perfect time to pick up a nice mint copy.

Anyways sorry for the long first post! But please fellow Jordan RC fans/collectors... share your thoughts, stories, and pics with me : )

I currently have a beautiful BGS 9 Fleer Jordan with subs 10 centering, 9.5 edges, 9 corners, and 9 surface! I know I was lucky to find one with perfect centering and someday hopefully soon I can add that BGS 9 Star XRC to put beside it!

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/MJBENRC.jpg.html]image[/URL]

Thanks for reading! >>

Hi Benjamin welcome to the forum! Your BGS 9 fleer rookie is one of the best I've seen in a Psa 9 or BGS 9 holder. That 10 centering is fantastic!
    Yeah I think the star 84 xrc has room for growth I'd like to get one someday too.
    I still remember Jordan making the game winning shot to best the cavs in the playoffs and also the game winning shot over Byron Russell to win the nba championship.
    There will never be another Jordan he's the best basketball playa ever!!
    He was the best offensive player as well as best defensive player.
    He won 5 regular season mvp's, 6 finals mvp's, and won the defensive player of the year award. He averaged over 30 points a game during the regular season and averaged almost 35 points a game in the playoffs.
    Yes read they carefully that was his average, for many players 30 points in a game is a career high.
    Oh and he was pretty good at dunking tooimage
    There are 200 Psa 10 fleer rookies out of over 13,000 submissions and 5 BGS 10 fleer rookies out of over 7,500 submissions.
    Yeah it's surprising there are no BGS 9.5 or 10 star rookies it's a tough card.
    I like your BGS 9 fleer rookieimage

• Options
    vladguerrerovladguerrero Posts: 4,077 ✭✭✭
    T/B?
  • Options
    Welcome to the boards, great Fleer MJ and as Clockwork said, you wil find many others here that have deep appreciation for these two cards.

Would love to see PSA jump in and start grading the Star cards. I would have to think they have the expertise now to determine real from fake. As the market leader, their stamp of approval would bring these amazing sets so much more attention.

Here is my humble MJ Star XRC.

• Options
    dennis07dennis07 Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭
    "Like I said, welcome!"

No, what you actually did was to assassinate a man's character. Totally uncalled for and the reason so many of this forums
    better contributors stay silent or leave all together.
    Collecting 1970 Topps baseball
  • Options

<< <i>"Like I said, welcome!"

No, what you actually did was to assassinate a man's character. Totally uncalled for and the reason so many of this forums
    better contributors stay silent or leave all together. >>

Actually it's because of comments like this (which are uncalled for) that people don't post here. This member has been banned on at least two other forums and ripped someone off on a Jordan rookie. You want trash like that here? Sounds like it.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>"Like I said, welcome!"

better contributors stay silent or leave all together. >>

Actually it's because of comments like this (which are uncalled for) that people don't post here. This member has been banned on at least two other forums and ripped someone off on a Jordan rookie. You want trash like that here? Sounds like it. >>

Excuse me sir. But I was never ever "Suggs55" and you are completely wrong in randomly saying now that I ripped someone off on a Jordan RC??????? What are you talking about???

Now back to the topic. And be sure to everyone here that this above story is completely false. There are a handful of members from BO that hated me because I supported Randy Moss the football player & hated that I didn't demonize him as was accustomed over there. Majority politics got me banned. End of story. The "ripping someone off a Jordan RC" is INSANE & I'd like to see him explain that one.

Anyways back to the topic. The Star I hope one day gets graded by PSA because it deserves some legit recognition finally overall. After all, it WAS the very first MJ card EVER! That alone makes it ridiculously historic! Thanks for all the kind comments about my card & please keep sharing yours if you have one : )
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As we have discussed many times before. The risk / reward is not worth it for PSA.

One mistake and you could lose dramatically more then you could have ever made grading every Star Jordan out there.

Does BGS have a buy back guarentee?

PSA does and the potenital liability is huge.

• Options
    By the way, it is extremely rude of you (whom I've never had any interactions with at all) to start our relationship on these boards like that. Unless you know me personally or have interacted with me, you should seriously think before just taking some second hand information as fact. Maybe if your buddies from those other sites weren't so childish and immature they'd be happier in their own lives. Being mean to people & even in some cases racist like some of them were was sad. I wish all collectors the best & have NEVER ripped anyone off of anything. I do NOT and have NEVER sold or even traded on any site EVER & have NEVER been "suggs55"

Now can we start fresh & act like adults please? How are you, what do you collect, and how long have you been in the hobby?
  • Options
    Dpeck, wouldn't that logic apply to other cards as well? Is there something about the Star XRC that is particularly tough to authenticate?
  • Options

<< <i>Dpeck, wouldn't that logic apply to other cards as well? Is there something about the Star XRC that is particularly tough to authenticate? >>

PSA has determined they can't tell which are the examples that were re printed from the original plates.

They have stopped grading other cards too that they have had issues with. It only makes since from a business standpoint.

• Options
    Makes sense. And, Ben, if you want to shut up the haters, post a close up pic of the cert # on your Jordan to prove you own it!
  • Options
    Dpeck100

I didn't know BGS had an insurance policy on their graded cards like that with the "buy back" program? Wow pretty cool.

I honestly prefer BGS by a country mile. PSA cases in my opinion just seem so flimsy & non counterfeit proof. I've even heard of fake PSA 10 Jordan's being sold. Never heard about a BGS 9.5 Jordan being tampered with?
  • Options

<< <i>Dpeck100

I didn't know BGS had an insurance policy on their graded cards like that with the "buy back" program? Wow pretty cool.

I honestly prefer BGS by a country mile. PSA cases in my opinion just seem so flimsy & non counterfeit proof. I've even heard of fake PSA 10 Jordan's being sold. Never heard about a BGS 9.5 Jordan being tampered with? >>

I asked if they do like PSA.
  • Options

<< <i>Makes sense. And, Ben, if you want to shut up the haters, post a close up pic of the cert # on your Jordan to prove you own it! >>

Sounds good. I will do that within a few hours and even include my "BenG" name on a piece of paper next to it.
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the boards, great Fleer MJ and as Clockwork said, you wil find many others here that have deep appreciation for these two cards.

Would love to see PSA jump in and start grading the Star cards. I would have to think they have the expertise now to determine real from fake. As the market leader, their stamp of approval would bring these amazing sets so much more attention.

Here is my humble MJ Star XRC.

image >>

Wow! I knew someone on here would have a Star Jordan! How long have you owned it? Your opinion, is it his TRUE rookie?

You're very lucky to have that card. At this point I would love it in any grade, but I just have wishful thinking that maybe one day I can pull off a BGS 9 to match my Fleer!
  • Options
    There are a few floating around here I'm sure. I've had it a few years and personally consider it his true RC.

I felt much safer going lower grade on it. I just don't see PSA ever getting into grading them and without that, the market will never be as hot for this card as it should be. Sad but true.
  • Options

<< <i>Makes sense. And, Ben, if you want to shut up the haters, post a close up pic of the cert # on your Jordan to prove you own it! >>

And here are the pics. Last time I will respond to non sense. Love this hobby, I've never screwed ANYBODY, don't steal pics, and just want to enjoy the convo with you all!

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zps0c0306b8.jpg.html]image[/URL]

[URL=http://s786.photobucket.com/user/benmoss81/media/Mobile Uploads/image_zpsf5e239f3.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    As much as I like MJ, and that goes back to 1981 being a lifelong UNC fan, I've never gotten into buying his cards. Blazers fan, so, Clyde Drexler has always been my Star Co. and 86 Fleer project. image
  • Options

<< <i>As much as I like MJ, and that goes back to 1981 being a lifelong UNC fan, I've never gotten into buying his cards. Blazers fan, so, Clyde Drexler has always been my Star Co. and 86 Fleer project. image >>

Awesome man! That'll be a really fun project! And much less expensive thank goodness for you lol...

I also super collect Randy Moss and I love having 1 of my two PC's be MUCH cheaper lol!

All I want in total for my MJ collection if i'm ever so lucky are the following

Fleer Jordan BGS 9 which I have
    BGS 9 1984 Star Jordan
    BGS 9 1986 Fleer RC Sticker
    BGS 9 1985 Prism Jewel Sticker

If the above are all the MJ's i'm ever able to acquire I'd be able to die a happy collector haha
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Joey?
  • Options
    Did someone say Jewel Prism? No chance it's a BGS 9 but still a fun one to hunt down. This card would fall squarely in the "DooDoo Def" category.

• Options
    Such a beautiful card/sticker CenteredMantles! And I kinda put it right up there almost as his official oddball rookie card lol

I didn't really think of the 1985-86 Star # 117 either... I might need to add that one to my list also. That would I guess be considered his "second year card" as opposed to the 87-88 Fleer #59

Man I love old schools 80's cards/stickers! So under appreciated STILL IMO!

• Options
    RookieHOFersRookieHOFers Posts: 733 ✭✭✭
    Welcome to the board. I will see if I can contribute to your original question. I'm a big Jordan fan, and have really started adding Jordan cards to my collection recently. I would like to own the STAR card one day, but that will only be if PSA starts grading it. I am not the biggest fan of Beckett grading, although I love the cases they use to encapsulate their cards in.

I currently have the 86 Fleer Jordan PSA 9 and 10, 87 Fleer PSA 10, 86 Sticker PSA 9 (packed pulled this one from a pack I opened on my birthday two years ago) and a couple regular issued certified Auto's in PSA 10. I am on the hunt for his 86 sticker in PSA 10 and would like to add the 86 Sports Illustrated test card as well.

One great story........I lived in FL throughout my high school and college years, and my best friend / board member (bporter26) today lived behind me. We both collected and like many in the late 80's everything we did was based around the hobby or sports. Well one day we both went over to a fellow classmates of mine and long story short I proceeded to trade him my Jose Canseco RC (this was when Canseco was on fire) for all his 86 Fleer cards, minus the Jordan sticker which we theorized at the time was going to be worth more than the regular issue card. I can still remember going back to Bobby's house and laying all those 86 Fleer cards out on his parents kitchen table and we literally alternated picking one of the cards. There was an entire set there, and I think I got the Jordan, which I subsequently traded away for a Gatorade or Miller Lite Star set and 89 UD Traded set (yea not a great move). Hopefully Bobby will see this thread and add on, as he has some great stories around the 86 Fleer set in general.

Enjoy the boards,
    Matt
    I collect: 80’s Rookies and 86 Fleer Basketball
  • Options
    eagles33eagles33 Posts: 2,678 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Dpeck, wouldn't that logic apply to other cards as well? Is there something about the Star XRC that is particularly tough to authenticate? >>

PSA has determined they can't tell which are the examples that were re printed from the original plates.

They have stopped grading other cards too that they have had issues with. It only makes since from a business standpoint. >>

I don't think this is true for the 84 base set. The counterfit cards were some derivative sets sold as 80s sets but produced in the. 90s. There certainly are 101 fakes but I don't think they are from the printing plates. That's my understanding of situation anyways. I'll defer to the experts
    Scans of most of my Misc rookies can be found <a target=new class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="http://forums.collectors.com/m...y&keyword1=Non%20major">here
  • Options
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

They have stopped grading other cards too that they have had issues with. It only makes since from a business standpoint. >>

I don't think this is true for the 84 base set. The counterfit cards were some derivative sets sold as 80s sets but produced in the. 90s. There certainly are 101 fakes but I don't think they are from the printing plates. That's my understanding of situation anyways. I'll defer to the experts >>

I have read it was the newer sub sets and I have read it was examples of the Star Jordan. Either way they realize fakes or originals reprinted are hard to detect.

• Options
    Did someone say '86 Star?

Sorry, I haven't looked at my MJ's since I started on the centered Mantle collection. Just started looking at the focus and remembered how awesome the MJ's were.

Regarding the Star XRC, the #101 was not part of the reprinted run. The '86 was as were subset cards like the Miller Lite All Star. No matter, PSA won't grade them and don't see that changing. It's a must have card for any serious MJ collector but will always be 2nd fiddle to the 1986-87 Fleer.
  • Options
    The old cards of MJ early in his career are awesome.

Tons of great shots on the Star cards.

• Options

<< <i>Did someone say '86 Star?

Sorry, I haven't looked at my MJ's since I started on the centered Mantle collection. Just started looking at the focus and remembered how awesome the MJ's were.

Regarding the Star XRC, the #101 was not part of the reprinted run. The '86 was as were subset cards like the Miller Lite All Star. No matter, PSA won't grade them and don't see that changing. It's a must have card for any serious MJ collector but will always be 2nd fiddle to the 1986-87 Fleer. >>

BREATHTAKING!!! That would be EXACTLY what I would want... and with 9.5 centering!!!! And the rest all 9's!!! Beautiful!!

I will need that card in the future! Thanks for sharing! I'm kinda big about centering especially... adds way better eye appeal imo!
  • Options
    jordangretzkyfanjordangretzkyfan Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Welcome to the boards Ben image

As you can tell by my user ID, Jordan is half of my collecting focus. I vividly remember discovering basketball cards in 1988 and dying to add the 86/87 Fleer MJ to my collection in 1990 right after the boom in demand. I was 14 at the time and the card was selling for $175 overnight after being about $10 the year before. I had been looking in all my local shops for a MINT copy and had saved up about $100. Walked into a shop one day and the guy had a full box of 86/87 Fleer basketball in his diplay case that he was selling by the pack. I think he was asking $100/pack. Turns out the night before he cracked open a case of 1988 Fleer Baseball (yes baseball) to put out for box sales and the case had been resealed by the guy he bought it from. The guy who resealed the 1988 Fleer baseball case filled it with a bunch of junk sticker boxes as a scam. Buried in the case was a single box of 86/87 Fleer basketball (which was total junk in 1988 when the guy resealed it). So the shop owner went from pissed to extatic on his find. Since he had his good fortune in finding the box, he broke one pack open and go figure he pulled the Jordan. He was asking $200 on the Jordan and I negotiated him down to $150 given his good fortune. My dad chipped in the extra $50 as a loan to me and I had my first Jordan. It took me 10 weeks of mowing the lawn that summer to pay off the $50 I borrowed from my dad (only got paid $5/mowing), but it was the greatest collecting moment for me still. I wound up submitting the card in 1998 and it came back a PSA 9.

I have owned a ton of 86/87 Fleer MJ's over the years and a few 84/85 Star as well (mostly sealed bags). I never tire of looking at those two cards. Both are rock solid investments in high grade and the demand will always outweight the supply. I am with you on preferring BGS cases and so all my MJ cards are in Beckett holders. My wish list now consists of Fleer wax boxes from 86, 87, 88 and 89 as they seem to really be drying up.

Best of luck on your MJ quests!!
  • Options
    Thanks Ben, love your enthusiasm for the cards! You've got a great list of MJ's to add. The Stars are awesome and the Jewel Prism is so underrated. A few other great MJ's from his early days that get far too little love are the Merchante Spanish issues. The 1985 card in particular is a beast to find centered with a clean back. The 1986 is a great card as well:

[URL=http://s1258.photobucket.com/user/gjc1213/media/MJ collection/merchante86_zps154a2c10.jpg.html]image[/URL]
  • Options

<< <i>Welcome to the boards Ben image

As you can tell by my user ID, Jordan is half of my collecting focus. I vividly remember discovering basketball cards in 1988 and dying to add the 86/87 Fleer MJ to my collection in 1990 right after the boom in demand. I was 14 at the time and the card was selling for $175 overnight after being about $10 the year before. I had been looking in all my local shops for a MINT copy and had saved up about $100. Walked into a shop one day and the guy had a full box of 86/87 Fleer basketball in his diplay case that he was selling by the pack. I think he was asking $100/pack. Turns out the night before he cracked open a case of 1988 Fleer Baseball (yes baseball) to put out for box sales and the case had been resealed by the guy he bought it from. The guy who resealed the 1988 Fleer baseball case filled it with a bunch of junk sticker boxes as a scam. Buried in the case was a single box of 86/87 Fleer basketball (which was total junk in 1988 when the guy resealed it). So the shop owner went from pissed to extatic on his find. Since he had his good fortune in finding the box, he broke one pack open and go figure he pulled the Jordan. He was asking $200 on the Jordan and I negotiated him down to $150 given his good fortune. My dad chipped in the extra $50 as a loan to me and I had my first Jordan. It took me 10 weeks of mowing the lawn that summer to pay off the $50 I borrowed from my dad (only got paid $5/mowing), but it was the greatest collecting moment for me still. I wound up submitting the card in 1998 and it came back a PSA 9.

I have owned a ton of 86/87 Fleer MJ's over the years and a few 84/85 Star as well (mostly sealed bags). I never tire of looking at those two cards. Both are rock solid investments in high grade and the demand will always outweight the supply. I am with you on preferring BGS cases and so all my MJ cards are in Beckett holders. My wish list now consists of Fleer wax boxes from 86, 87, 88 and 89 as they seem to really be drying up.

Best of luck on your MJ quests!! >>

What an awesome awesome story bro! Thanks for sharing! It's stories like that one that makes me love this hobby. It should always be more about the memories & the passion for the cards/players! I admit it's an awesome bonus to know that certain cards could also be worth good money, but in the long run I wouldn't ever want to part with my Jordan cards no matter what! If there was a family emergency then yes, bye bye Fleer RC in a second... But aside from that, it was my dream card growing up just gawking at it in magazines.... And it's a dream card now! Everytime I just glimpse at my Fleer RC I still am in awe! I can't wait to feel a brand new level of that someday with the Star lol!

You think BGS 9's with high subs & strong PSA 9's still have some room to grow?
  • Options
    CenteredMantles yes I've heard of those. Considered odd ball Jordan's by hobby definition right?

Also, what info can you give me about the I believe it's the 1985 Nike RC? It might have come in early air jordan shoes boxes? Shows him doing the jump man pose? Good old school MJ investment piece. Not investment money wise, but as a collector should I shell out good money for one in high grade? Any info would help!
  • Options
    Can you post a pic of the top edge? Picture above looks to have a nick. Also does it have a slight tilt? Amazing how much this card has increased in value over the past 5 years. PWCC has some nice auctions.
  • Options

<< <i>How in the world can a card with approx 60-40 centering (86/87 Jordan BGS 9) receive a 10.

Sorry but I question the grade. The top/bottom centering is not a 10 or even 9.5. Wowsers!!! >>

It's the angle of the picture. It's 50/50 top to bottom. 55/45 at worst.
  • Options

<< <i>CenteredMantles yes I've heard of those. Considered odd ball Jordan's by hobby definition right?

Also, what info can you give me about the I believe it's the 1985 Nike RC? It might have come in early air jordan shoes boxes? Shows him doing the jump man pose? Good old school MJ investment piece. Not investment money wise, but as a collector should I shell out good money for one in high grade? Any info would help! >>

I don't believe that card came with shoes, I think Nike did a promotional set with other endorsers and it was part of that.
  • Options

<< <i>Can you post a pic of the top edge? Picture above looks to have a nick. Also does it have a slight tilt? Amazing how much this card has increased in value over the past 5 years. PWCC has some nice auctions. >>

Yes top right edge has a small visible chip. That's it. Must be the reason it didn't get 10 edges.

Card is definitely 50/50 centering. I'll take a better picture and post it later.

Also I did not get the BGS 9 w/10 centering through PWCC
  • Options

<< <i>How in the world can a card with approx 60-40 centering (86/87 Jordan BGS 9) receive a 10.

Sorry but I question the grade. The top/bottom centering is not a 10 or even 9.5. Wowsers!!! >>

Wow I just went back and looked at the OP pic I posted... Where do you possibly see 60/40? Man if someone even wanted to go hard on the card, that's 55/45 at worst.
  • Options
    PWCC just sold a BGS 9 w/ 10 centering for 2600...your card has a .5 better for corners. Hopefully you got a better deal. Nice card.
  • Options

<< <i>PWCC just sold a BGS 9 w/ 10 centering for 2600...your card has a .5 better for corners. Hopefully you got a better deal. Nice card. >>

Yeah that one had 10, 9, 8.5, 9 .... so mine has 0.5 better on edges AND corners.

I picked mine up 3 years ago for 2400... Wonder what it would go for today with those subs?
  • Options

<< <i>PWCC just sold a BGS 9 w/ 10 centering for 2600...your card has a .5 better for corners. Hopefully you got a better deal. Nice card. >>

Does the card look pretty good to you over all? I'll post a better pic soon
  • Options
    Could it be sheet cut?