Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Big exonumia bulk bag! Live cherrypicking! (I'll gradually continue posting stuff as it comes out)

2»

Comments

• Options
    lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,216 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Here's a neat Swedish token, from a Morell & Company.

Googling produced this 8-ore piece from the same company, with similar legends.

Apparently it is a steamboat/ferry token, circa 1890-1920 or so. Cool. I knew it was old, but of course I don't read Swedish very well.

I think my 5-ore piece looks better than that other (8-ore) one in the link.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    Some of those ubiquitous little "California Gold" token fantasies, circa mid-20th century (1950-'60-ish?).

A few of these are nice and bright with full gilt. Others are more brassy looking.

I'll bet you brick-and-mortar dealers despise these things, and curse their makers every time somebody brings "Grandma's treasure" into the shop and forces you to be a dreamkiller, huh?

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • Options
    A cute, tiny little Washington gilt medalet with the Lord's Prayer on it.

Who was it I was talking to recently that collects Lord's Prayer pieces? Hmm. Oh, well. I think he only collects the hand-engraved ones, anyway.

These were from some exposition, if I recall correctly. But was it the 1892-93 Columbian Exposition or the 1903 Louisiana Purchase one? A-Googling I shall go, I suppose.

That's it for tonight. There may be two or three more waves before we get done with the more "interesting" part of the bag and then the rest is pretty much the typical Chuck E. Cheesy arcade junk.

• Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>This one is pretty interesting. It's a 1934 Lincoln cent, but the reverse seems to have been encased in some kind of copper shell which commemorates the fire aboard the SS Morro Castle in 1934, the same year as on the coin. Why someone would make a souvenir to commemorate a disaster which killed 137 people is anyone's guess. I must admit it's pretty interesting 80 years after the fact, though.

OK, maybe one or two more for tonight, and I'll give it a rest. >>

Nice stuff!!!

People commemorated almost everything back then both good and bad. I collect 78rpm records and there were songs about everything, including death of children such as "Little Mary Phagan"-- a 13 years old girl who was raped and murdered in Atlanta, Georgia in 1913, and and many songs entitled the "wreck of...". Most likely as a rememberance type of thing. The purpose of commemoratives is to commemorate life, not death. The purpose of the Morro Castle souvenir was to commemorate the lives of the 137 people that were killed, not their death.

Bob
  • Options
    Oh, Mary Phagan. You're referring to the Leo Frank case.

That was a tragedy and a travesty all around. Not just what happened to the girl, but what happened afterward.

Here in Georgia, those ghosts still haunt, metaphorically speaking, though it has been 99 years.

• Options
    Tons of fun! I know you're not going to get rich off this big bag of goodies but I still think you suck.

Successful BST deals with mustangt and jesbroken. Now EVERYTHING is for sale.

• Options
    Quite a number of those doubloons were designed by Alvin Sharpe (H.A.S.). Very distinctive style.

<< <i>Back to the present.

What's ths stuff? Oh. Mardi Gras doubloons and wooden nickels.

image >>

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Quite a number of those doubloons were designed by Alvin Sharpe (H.A.S.). Very distinctive style.

>>

These doubloons come in a vast array of designs and dates. They were issued
    by the krewes which built the individual floats to be thrown to the crowds and they
    were issued by advertisers and institutions. They come in numerous colors and
    many different metallic compositions including gold.

Most are easily found even in pristine condition and even Gems are often quite com-
    mon. There are hundreds of low mintage and/ or low survivor medals though so
    collecting them can be quite interesting,

My personal favorites are the advertising issues and several specific krewes.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Interesting corner of the hobby in which I have never set foot. Those felt and fiber tokens throw me for a loop.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    lasvegasteddylasvegasteddy Posts: 10,408 ✭✭✭

<< <i>A cute, tiny little Washington gilt medalet with the Lord's Prayer on it.

Who was it I was talking to recently that collects Lord's Prayer pieces? Hmm. Oh, well. I think he only collects the hand-engraved ones, anyway.

These were from some exposition, if I recall correctly. But was it the 1892-93 Columbian Exposition or the 1903 Louisiana Purchase one? A-Googling I shall go, I suppose.

That's it for tonight. There may be two or three more waves before we get done with the more "interesting" part of the bag and then the rest is pretty much the typical Chuck E. Cheesy arcade junk. >>

is that 1917 lincoln the ddo looking at the "7" of that date?
    everything in life is but merely on loan to us by our appreciation....lose your appreciation and see

• Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,350 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Interesting corner of the hobby in which I have never set foot. Those felt and fiber tokens throw me for a loop. >>

The OPA (Office of Price Administration) fiber tokens are easy to collect. Most are
    still available in pristine condition and are very common. There are only some 45
    different in blue and red and they are differentiated by a two letter combination
    that defines what they could buy. None of them are rare but four or five are uncom-
    mon, one is very uncommon, and one is scarce (20 or 30 known but more could be
    out there and unaccounted for). This is the nature of most tokens that you have no
    real way to know the number extant. Some show up and some don't. Most of my
    collection are choice examples but ten or fifteen are AU or even VF.

These certainly aren't for everyone but WW II items are interesting and not as com-
    mon as they once were. Most of the generation has passed away now and there
    won't be a lot more of these showing up in poundage and odd lots in ten years.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>is that 1917 lincoln the ddo looking at the "7" of that date? >>

Wouldn't that be hilarious. image

No, that's some random Lincoln that happened to be lying nearby, so I put it on the scanner for scale, to show how tiny the Washington medal is.

I think what you're seeing is a little piece of stuff next to the 7, but who knows. Not me.

Both the medalet and the Lincoln are packaged up together for eBay. I just stuck the Lincoln in with the medal, as I did when scanning the image.

So it's not like I'm eager to get it out and put it under a loupe.

• Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>So it's not like I'm eager to get it out and put it under a loupe. >>

What's a little extra scotch tape for repacking? You know you won't be able to sleep a wink unless you check for the DDO image
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file