Home Metal Detecting
Options

Question about hunting farm fields

Question for those that have hunted farm fields. Let's assume you have permission and are all ready to start. Where exactly do you begin? I have heard you want to hunt along plowed rows, but obviously on any decent-sized farm there are many rows! Do you pick the row closest to the farm house? Closest to the main road? Do you hunt the length of a row or just partway and then try the next row? Farm fields are so large it almost seems like a guessing game as to where to begin. image

Comments

• Options
    pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,261 ✭✭✭✭
    they can be pretty intimidating! Often in a new field I wander around aimlessly until I find something worth keeping. Then grid that area. In one of my fields I kept an excel sheet trying to find a pattern on where finds were made... unfortunately it's pretty random. If I remember I will post a pic tonight of the randomness. With items being moved around by the plow for 100 or 200 years, they could be quite a bit away from their original starting point.

One thing that I SLIGHTLY noticed, is the very last row (or last couple of rows) are worth inspecting. I can recall finding some good stuff in those first few rows. Maybe the plow moved them as far as they can move? Or, maybe at the very last row, it was time to wipe your face with your handkerchief, and things fell out.

It's amazing we find anything at all with such big fields using a machine that covers about a foot at a time.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Are you blocking them. As in 4' by 60' and keep moving your grid?
  • Options
    pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,744 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like to hunt one room school sites. These for the most part are now out in farm fields. You need to find the area where a school once stood. If you hunt in the spring after a rain you will find marbles, buttons and slate pencils on the ground.
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Appreciate the tips. I haven't hunted any farms yet but hope to get permission in the near future.
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My best finds where at old churches. They would toss money at the bride and groom.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Along stone walls is another good place to hunt.
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you get the chance, hunt a Farm field after it is been plowed. Look for arrowheads!
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    And maybe offer to share your findings with the farmer. They have a hard enough time making a living these days.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Farm fields may have undergone several iterations.... The suggestion from Pcgs is good... look for a good hit and then grid..... research at the local library can help.... I do a bit of that since I cache hunt..... history of an area can be quite revealing. Winter is great for research. Cheers, RickO