Home Metal Detecting

Oct 25/26, 2014: Large Cent, Barber 25¢, 2 Barber 10¢, 8 IHCs, V nickel, partial printing plate?

pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
Got out yesterday and today to some spots I've hit before. Yesterday started out quickly with an 1897 Barber dime. It was pretty slow for a while after that, but got two IHCs (1885? and dateless). A bit later in the hunt, a second barber dime came out - 1902! A bit later a deep signal yielded what looks like part of a printing plate? I thought there was an easy way to reverse the photo, but apparently I forgot. Any ideas how to do it? I can make out some words, but it'd probably be easier if they were facing the right way. At the end of the hunt, I got a ring that looked like junk. Took it home and saw remnants of "18k". It's bizarre because this is the 3rd gold plated ring that's come from this site. At least two were made to look like real gold (at least back in the day). Wonder if some scam was going on and the scammer threw a few into this place? You'd think one of these would be real at some point??

Got back out again today. The first spot today got a flat button, a couple of wheats, and an 1853 Large cent. The LC came from a spot I hadn't tried before. It was stuck between some roots and took several minutes to extract. Tried some hp on it, and the obverse came out pretty well. The reverse must have been the "up" side as it's somewhat toasted.

Made it over to the 2nd spot and within 15 minutes a 1915-D Barber quarter revealed itself!! Then throughout the hunt, 6 IHCs came up (1906, 1900, 1896, dateless, 1888, 1900?). Also got a dateless V nickel. Also got a piece of lead that I thought was a sinker at first. But I didn't see any spot for the loop. Any idea what it is? Toward the end of the hunt a small canoe shaped piece popped out. It tested silver at home, and I'm thinking an old pin? There was some crud on the underside that I cleaned out.

The lock was from a previous hunt. Any idea of age? HH all!

Bad pic, but that lighter spot is where "18k" is/was

Comments

• pocketpiececommemspocketpiececommems Posts: 5,723 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Another very nice hunt. image My hunting was for Walnuts and I got 48 5 gal buckets Saturday afternoon and 55 this afternoon.
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    you must be sore! That's a lot of buckets. What's your total count for the year?
  • luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    Very nice haul !!

• ZotZot Posts: 825 ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, congrats!!

For flipping the photo (and you're right, it's very easy to read after that), an easy way assuming you use windows:
    With the picture open in MS Paint, first click "rotate" (near top left on the selection bar) and then select "flip horizontal"
    Minelab: GPX 5000, Excalibur II, Explorer SE. White's: MXT, PI Pro
  • pcgs69pcgs69 Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Zot! That really was easy!!

Did a quick Google search and it's from a Canadian book, "Sam Slick, The Clockmaker". The version of the book used below from archive.org is copyright 1887. This plate doesn't match up, but to be able to find the book is pretty amazing. It's right there in chapter XXI (that's 21 in case our American schools stopped teaching Roman numerals in addition to cursive image).

It would be a neat challenge to try finding what edition this plate came from, but it might be a challenge. It appears to have been a popular book with several printings.
  • lordmarcovanlordmarcovan Posts: 43,194 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great stuff! Boy, that large cent sure looks nice.

Excellent sleuthing on the origin of the printing plate. I never thought of doing that with a Google Book Search like you did. That's really amazing that you could track it down like that. Ain't the Internet grand?

Of course I wasn't on the Internet last time I found one of those. I do remember finding one that had a picture of a lady's corset on it; obviously part of turn-of-the-century advertisement.

Explore collections of lordmarcovan on CollecOnline, management, safe-keeping, sharing and valuation solution for art piece and collectibles.
  • rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great hunt and finds... that Barber quarter is nice.... Cheers, RickO
  • love the LC, that's my dream coin find. almost impossible here.