Home Precious Metals

100 Silver Eagles or 100 shares of General Motors.....?

With a condition, you have to hold either for 5 years before selling.

GM is at $32 a share, you know what the eagles are worth.

Comments

• derrybderryb Posts: 36,118 ✭✭✭✭✭
    no brainer, silver

The decline from democracy to tyranny is both a natural and inevitable one.

• OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No brainer....GMimage
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭

<< <i>No brainer....GMimage >>

I am with you OPA. Don't like the company or much that it represents today, but cannot ignore the current 50% price premium to the Eagles.
    You did say five years, right? image

<< <i>You did say five years, right? image >>

I think DC and the street keeps the dinosaur pumped up for a while. We'll see if it goes 5 years. it is one of those strange predictions where I hope that I am incorrect. image
    If it survives five years it will never end.

• guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭
    I'll take 160 Silver Eagles for the same price as your 100 shares of GM.
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.

<< <i>I'll take 160 Silver Eagles for the same price as your 100 shares of GM. >>

At least the ASEs can't go to zero.

• bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Do the GM's have the deadly exploding airbags? I want to know before I choose. Awww heck even if they don't , I'm sure there are 5 or 10 recalls on the way. I'll go with silver
  • mhammermanmhammerman Posts: 3,769 ✭✭✭
    I'll take the eagles all day long. Don't forget how easy it was for GM to flush all stock holders just a few years ago with just a keystroke and all the stockholders walked away with ZERO. That stock is so juiced and infused with fed money that there is probably no way in hell anyone could put a value on the company as a stand alone enterprise. The upbeat PR for GM in the face of multiple recalls seems to just drive the market higher for GM but for those of us that saw the movie, we know how it ends. Nobody flushes ASE's, they are never worth ZERO. It will be interesting to see if GM lasts five more years but those ASE's will still be rollin'...may I have another, please?

Edited for grammar.
    """Don't forget how easy it was for GM to flush all stock holders just a few years ago with just a keystroke and all the stockholders walked away with ZERO."""

Nope. I won't forget the shareholder takedown. Same with K-Mart.
  • DrBusterDrBuster Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wifes' 9 yr old Saturn is the last GM item that will ever be in our posession outside of a classic car of some sort or whatever is in our 401ks that we don't know about in a fund. The share/bondholder/union bailout thing put a horrible taste in my mouth. Eagles here.

<< <i>My wifes' 9 yr old Saturn is the last GM item that will ever be in our posession outside of a classic car of some sort or whatever is in our 401ks that we don't know about in a fund. The share/bondholder/union bailout thing put a horrible taste in my mouth. Eagles here. >>

I like your perspective. The old Saturns were nice cars, drove a 2002 the other day.

I am wavering and ask the OP for more time to make my decision. image
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    TSLA

Since the big 3 wiped out TUCKER

That's my 2 volt's worth.

<< <i>

<< <i>My wifes' 9 yr old Saturn is the last GM item that will ever be in our posession outside of a classic car of some sort or whatever is in our 401ks that we don't know about in a fund. The share/bondholder/union bailout thing put a horrible taste in my mouth. Eagles here. >>

I like your perspective. The old Saturns were nice cars, drove a 2002 the other day.

I am wavering and ask the OP for more time to make my decision. image >>

She had her first one for 10+ years (only 80k on that) and my friend that bought it got another 6 out of it I believe, she doesn't put miles on them. Got her a 2006 vue in 05, I think she just topped 80k. Never had a problem with either...but GM..done....coming from someone who's family worked for Chevy for decades.

<< <i>Got her a 2006 vue in 05, I think she just topped 80k. Never had a problem with either...but GM..done....coming from someone who's family worked for Chevy for decades. >>

Got you beat. My friend has 45,000 on her 12 year old car.

Growing up in the Detroit area, I inhaled the stench of the smokestacks, corporate boardrooms and Solidarity House for nearly 40 years.

No love lost for that industry. At least Ford had the fortitude to avert bankruptcy.
  • JustacommemanJustacommeman Posts: 22,847 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GM
    Walker Proof Digital Album
    Fellas, leave the tight pants to the ladies. If I can count the coins in your pockets you better use them to call a tailor. Stay thirsty my friends......
    nm

<< <i>

<< <i>Got her a 2006 vue in 05, I think she just topped 80k. Never had a problem with either...but GM..done....coming from someone who's family worked for Chevy for decades. >>

Got you beat. My friend has 45,000 on her 12 year old car.

Growing up in the Detroit area, I inhaled the stench of the smokestacks, corporate boardrooms and Solidarity House for nearly 40 years.

No love lost for that industry. At least Ford had the fortitude to avert bankruptcy. >>

I think I have you both beat I have an F250 that I work pretty hard every day that I bought brand new in 1989 that has almost 380,000 miles on it.

I also have a Bronco that I'm the second owner of that was born in 1978 and has just a tick over a half million miles on it.

I see no reason to get anything newer. Give me heat , lights , glass in the window holes and I'm content.

Oh I feel ya on that. My jeep has almost 200k on it, had it 14+ years, I do almost all work on it and don't plan on it going anywhere ever...even though it's getting tougher and tougher to climb in with a bad leg, ha!
    Lets see....
    in the last quarter ending 9/30...silver dropped 7% since June 30 & continues to "flat line"
    GM earned 97 cents per share .. or $1.4 billion net.

btw.. I haven't owned a GM produced vehicle in 30 years....strictly a Ford connoisseurimage

<< <i>Lets see....
    in the last quarter ending 9/30...silver dropped 7% since June 30 & continues to "flat line"
    GM earned 97 cents per share .. or $1.4 billion net. >>

How many million shares of their own stock did they buy back though to get that number up to 97 cents? and how much in 5 10 and 30 year bonds did they write to do it with? How many years till the holders of those bonds get screwed?image

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see....

How many million shares of their own stock did they buy back though to get that number up to 97 cents? and how much in 5 10 and 30 year bonds did they write to do it with? How many years till the holders of those bonds get screwed?image >>

You better get busy & start your research.image

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see....

How many million shares of their own stock did they buy back though to get that number up to 97 cents? and how much in 5 10 and 30 year bonds did they write to do it with? How many years till the holders of those bonds get screwed?image >>

Sounds like a good project for you to undertake.image
  • DennisHDennisH Posts: 13,963 ✭✭✭✭✭
    GM stock.
    When in doubt, don't.

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>Lets see....

Sounds like a good project for you to undertake.image >>

Off the top of my head didn't the US government buy GM shares at $50 and then sell them back to GM at $27 each? Thats a nice chunk right out of the taxpayers wallet there. Before we get to the part where GM borrowed the money to buy the shares back.

If they paid out of earnings for the shares they would have probably had an ugly EPS number

• bretts911bretts911 Posts: 764 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Do the GM's have the deadly exploding airbags? I want to know before I choose. Awww heck even if they don't , I'm sure there are 5 or 10 recalls on the way. I'll go with silver >>

You do realize that this new airbag recall bmw Honda Chrysler Toyota and so On have these same recalls as well right ?
    I know because I work for General Motors and they just sent us a list of all the cars involved only 168k all involved in this new airbag recall unlike Honda where they recalled 2.8 million cars but I agree General Motors does have a ton of them but half of the recalls are just silly
    ...... The media hypes everything up
    But I would go with gm shares because of the new vehicles they are coming out with like the new gmc cayon disel image
    All the Auto companies involved purchased the Air bags from the same manufacturer: Takata, and most of the recalls are for older vehicles. Newer models are not involved in the recall notice.
    Below is a link for the vehicles involved.

Airbag recall list
  • CNoteCNote Posts: 2,070
    The next car I want is going to be under the GM umbrella (but it will be used since it's no longer made) , mainly because Ford doesn't make a decent luxury car....

btw, I take the stock
  • LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭

<< <i>All the Auto companies involved purchased the Air bags from the same manufacturer ... >>

I try to explain this to my friends when I hear them arguing about "the best car company" ... I learned this when I was shopping for a Ford Escape Hybrid two years ago (ended up buying a Kia Soul, BTW). Anyway I learned the hybrid engine in the Ford Escape was made by the same Japanese company that makes Toyota engines. When I told this news to my dad, who had been a staunch lifelong supporter of buying "American" vehicles, he nearly freaked. Two years later, he bought a Kia Soul because they are made about 1.5 hours from his house right here in GA, USA.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

Amat Colligendo Focum

Top 10FOR SALE

• TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,796 ✭✭✭✭✭
    MCM = $2099
    100 GM = $3000.

I'll take the 3 grand and put it into _ _ _ _ . That's equal to about 30 shares.

HINT: ALI imageimage
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 27,412 ✭✭✭✭✭
    that was a no brainer 20 years ago. silver
  • WingsruleWingsrule Posts: 2,977 ✭✭✭✭
    5 years, GM.
  • SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭✭✭
    All paper eventually returns to it's proper value - zero. Paraphrase from Voltaire.
    In memory of my kitty Seryozha 14.2.1996 ~ 13.9.2016 and Shadow 3.4.2015 - 16.4.21
  • BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,285 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Irrelevant question, particularly with the conditions set forth.

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

<< <i>Irrelevant question, particularly with the conditions set forth. >>

Without the condition the choice would certainly be easier. image

GM channel stuffing surges

As long as the dealers buy them who cares if the public does right?
  • chumleychumley Posts: 2,305 ✭✭✭✭
    take the 100 silver eagles....less chance of a recallimage