Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Heritage auctions Michael Jordan BGS 10 fleer rookie

Comments

• Options
    Dpeck for modern cards(1980 to now)BGS 10's mostly sell more than PSA 10's of the same card. Sometimes the BGS 10's sell for many multiples of the PSA 10's for the same card. You can check eBay completed listings and VCP.
  • Options
    Dpeck100Dpeck100 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Dpeck for modern cards(1980 to now)BGS 10's mostly sell more than PSA 10's of the same card. Sometimes the BGS 10's sell for many multiples of the PSA 10's for the same card. You can check eBay completed listings and VCP. >>

I am quite aware. The spread continues to narrow. As I have been saying for the past four years BGS continues to lose market share. This hurts the resale value of their cards relative to PSA.

The results speak for themselves.

• Options
    Who's gonna win the nba championship this year? Thunder, spurs, cavs? Or timberwolves?image
  • Options
    DM23HOF beautiful t206 Walter Patna!image
  • Options

<< <i>Who's gonna win the nba championship this year? Thunder, spurs, cavs? Or timberwolves?image >>

I wish I could say the Magic but no time soon.

Good luck with the auction.

• Options
    Magic were pretty good few years back with Dwight Howard. They should be better soon.
  • Options

<< <i>Magic were pretty good few years back with Dwight Howard. They should be better soon. >>

Rich Devos thinks all basketball players should be hard core born again Christians. Until this changes we have little hope. I got my first Magic sweatshirt in 1986 and went to a few games in the nose bleed section when they debuted in 1989.

The new arena is great but it isn't the same.

He needs to realize that basketball players in many cases have tattoes, smoke weed, like random chicks and fast cars. As much as he wants them to fit the profile he thinks they should they simply don't. The same dilemma NFL franchises face.

Dwight Howard pretended early on to be a good boy but anyone in the city who was out in the night scene knew he was anything but. His run of chicks was legendary and it continues to this day.

• Options
    I still remember shaq back in the day with the magic and they made the finals! They were awesome with penny hardaway!
  • Options
    CSCCSC Posts: 100

<< <i>Tomi,
    There are 363 BGS 9.5 fleer Jordan rookies.
    The population of BGS 10's will not be 363 anytime soon actually. >>

On any given day, those 363 9.5's could be 10's. All a farce at this end of the scale.
  • Options
    CSCCSC Posts: 100

<< <i>Yes for a 9.5 you need three 9.5 sub grades and a 9 subgrade.
    Through my research all 5 BGS 10 fleer jordan rookies have 3 10 sub grades and 1 9.5 sub grade. >>

Are all of the 9.5 surface subgrades? For cards cut from sheets, what is the most difficult subgrade to achieve?
  • Options
    Best players from each sport of all time:
    Basketball-Jordan
    Baseball-Ruth
    Hockey-Gretzky
    Football-Montana
  • Options
    CSC one of the Jordan BGS 10 fleer rookies has a 9.5 centering subgrade. Another BGS 10 has a 9.5 subgrade for edges.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    That's an entire different thread/debate
  • Options
    The theory "buy the card and holder" applies to the Jordan BGS 10 fleer rookie in heritage auctions.
    The card is ridiculously beautiful and screams 10 as well as the holder says 10!
    General rule of collecting, buy the best and rarest you can afford. That's what the top dogs in the hobby do.
  • Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
  • Options
    bobbyw8469bobbyw8469 Posts: 7,139 ✭✭✭

<< <i>General rule of collecting, buy the best and rarest you can afford. That's what the top dogs in the hobby do. >>

True. But the tops dogs in the hobby aren't stupid with their money. This is a card that could quite possible seen truck loads of other 10's hit the market place. 1986 isn't as old as 1952.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>General rule of collecting, buy the best and rarest you can afford. That's what the top dogs in the hobby do. >>

True. But the tops dogs in the hobby aren't stupid with their money. This is a card that could quite possible seen truck loads of other 10's hit the market place. 1986 isn't as old as 1952. >>

True truck loads of Psa 10's of the Jordan could hit the market. Truck loads of BGS 10's not likely.
    Already 200 Psa 10's of this card and only 5 BGS 10's. Obviously BGS 10's are rarer and more elusive and not given out so easily as Psa 10's of this card.
    Do the math and you will see that 200 Psa 10's out of 13,115 submissions is not as rare as 5 BGS 10's out of 7,530 submissions.
  • Options
    DM23HOFDM23HOF Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The BGS 10 at Heritage is a great looking card, worthy of the grade, but a card of the same quality could be had for far less if one shopped carefully for a high-end GEM MT example. Thus the extra money is being spent strictly on a sticker made by a grading company, and not on the card. That's the philosophical problem I'd have pulling the trigger on such a card. It is the sticker that is so extremely rare, not the card. I think one needs to be wary of gimmicks or ploys in the grading game that create expense beyond the intrinsic value of the card, such as the politics of needing to maintain low populations at the capstone of the condition pyramid.

Instagram: mattyc_collection

• Options
    Agree DM23HOF a card of similar but yet not as perfect quality could be had for much less.
    But it's human nature people pay extraordinary amounts for rare and popular items. Look at Picasso paintings selling for 50 million dollars.
    Just a matter of supply and demand. When the supply is low for this Jordan BGS 10 and other high end hall of famer rookie Psa 10's like Aaron and Clemente, the sales price skyrockets due to the outrageous demand.
    By the way did you have any titos and vodka last night?image
  • Options

<< <i>Agree DM23HOF a card of similar but yet not as perfect quality could be had for much less.
    But it's human nature people pay extraordinary amounts for rare and popular items. Look at Picasso paintings selling for 50 million dollars.
    Just a matter of supply and demand. When the supply is low for this Jordan BGS 10 and other high end hall of famer rookie Psa 10's like Aaron and Clemente, the sales price skyrockets due to the outrageous demand.
    By the way did you have any titos and vodka last night?image >>

Your point is well taken.

The card will obviously sell for a large amount. Time will tell how much.

What is a titos and vodka?

I have had Tito's Vodka if that is what you are referring to. It is pretty good.

• Options
    MULLINS5MULLINS5 Posts: 4,517 ✭✭✭
    Picasso is to Jordan as Van Gogh is to Mantle as Da Vinci is to Wagner. Or something like that.

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Agree DM23HOF a card of similar but yet not as perfect quality could be had for much less.
    By the way did you have any titos and vodka last night?image >>

Your point is well taken.

The card will obviously sell for a large amount. Time will tell how much.

What is a titos and vodka?

I have had Tito's Vodka if that is what you are referring to. It is pretty good. >>

Yes Tito's vodka it's ridiculously goodimage
  • Options
    geez. i fell asleep and woke up in the South Beach Nightclub Forum.
  • Options

<< <i>geez. i fell asleep and woke up in the South Beach Nightclub Forum. >>

Tito's vodka is very nice you should try itimage
  • Options
    How do heritage live auctions work? Internet bidding ends a couple of days early but then there is a 2 day live auction?
  • Options

<< <i>How do heritage live auctions work? Internet bidding ends a couple of days early but then there is a 2 day live auction? >>

It shows reserve of $60,000 and not met.

Did the card not sell?

• Options
    The last bid placed was at $50,000 and with buyers premium the sales price was $60,000. Looks like the seller put a reserve of $60,000 before buyers premium. Next bid must be $60,000 so the Jordan BGS 10 is still available.
  • Options

<< <i>Auction ends Nov 6 but hidden reserve so bidding against the house / consignor.

With 10 (Pristine) centering, I would expect the reverse to be a little better too. >>

What do you mean bidding against the house/consignor?
  • Options

<< <i>''21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors.''

Link (Google Web Cache so the PDF does not open automatically) >>

Got it thanks!
  • Options

<< <i>''21. The Auctioneer, its affiliates, or their employees consign items to be sold in the Auction, and may bid on those lots or any other lots. Auctioneer or affiliates expressly reserve the right to modify any such bids at any time prior to the hammer based upon data made known to the Auctioneer or its affiliates. The Auctioneer may extend advances, guarantees, or loans to certain consignors.''

Wow this means there is no telling where the real demand is for this card. The bids pushing it up close to the reserve could have been the house trying to get just one more bid.

Is this common with all auction houses?

• Options

<< <i>

Wow this means there is no telling where the real demand is for this card. The bids pushing it up close to the reserve could have been the house trying to get just one more bid.

Is this common with all auction houses? >>

Not sure but the only publicly confirmed sale of a Jordan BGS 10 fleer rookie was for $100,000.00 sold by memory lane.
    Here is the espn article:
    http://espn.go.com/espn/page2/index?id=6663877
  • Options
    AllenAllen Posts: 7,165 ✭✭✭
    FYI the BGS 10 with 10/10/10/9.5 on the surface grade is usually the BGS wink wink this card is sheet cut, but pristine.
  • Options
    AlbertdiditAlbertdidit Posts: 560 ✭✭✭

<< <i>FYI the BGS 10 with 10/10/10/9.5 on the surface grade is usually the BGS wink wink this card is sheet cut, but pristine. >>

Many people are oblivious to this
  • Options

<< <i>FYI the BGS 10 with 10/10/10/9.5 on the surface grade is usually the BGS wink wink this card is sheet cut, but pristine. >>

Prove it Mr. wannabe Allen iverson.
  • Options

<< <i>

Prove it Mr. wannabe Allen iverson. >>

Ndog, why are you so oddly invested in this card?
  • Options

<< <i>

Prove it Mr. wannabe Allen iverson. >>

I can't speak to this specific issue but from my time on the board Allen has proven to be quite knowledgeable about basketball cards.

• Options
    anyone's knowledge can't be heard above the din of a loose cannon.
  • Options
    Not all BGS 10 pristine cards with (10,10,10,9.5 on surface) subgrades are sheet cut.
    I just don't want false statements made that would mislead collectors.
    I am a PSA and SGC and Beckett fan and just don't think false generalizations should be made toward any grading company.
  • Options
    Iztagoner Johnny Football do you have all Johnny Manziel rookie cards?image
  • Options

<< <i>Iztagoner Johnny Football do you have all Johnny Manziel rookie cards?image >>

No because Iztagoner is way too intelligent
  • Options
    Also a nice unopened 79-80 opeechee unopened hockey wax box in heritage auctions.
    Attached is the sports collectors daily article:
    http://www.sportscollectorsdaily.com/long-live-80s-bgs-10-jordan-rookie-79-80-opc-hockey-box-drawing-big-bids/
  • Options
    Heritage expects the BGS 10 fleer rookie Jordan to sell for at least $80,000.
    Let's see what the greatest basketball player of all time's rookie card of population 5 for BGS 10 ends up at!image
  • Options

<< <i>Heritage expects the BGS 10 fleer rookie Jordan to sell for at least $80,000 >>

What happened to well over $200,000 ?
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Heritage expects the BGS 10 fleer rookie Jordan to sell for at least $80,000 >>

What happened to well over $200,000 ? >>

How's your search going for a Psa 8 fleer Jordan rookie?image
  • Options
    You should pick up the Jordan for 80K since its obviously going to surpass the 200K mark any day now. You could make a killing. Jordan is after all the greatest of all time by far with nobody coming anywhere close. Prob 10x better than anyone in history
  • Options

<< <i>You should pick up the Jordan for 80K since its obviously going to surpass the 200K mark any day now. You could make a killing. Jordan is after all the greatest of all time by far with nobody coming anywhere close. Prob 10x better than anyone in history >>

Agree Jordan is by far the greatest and it's a top 20 sports card in Joe Orlando's book. You should pick up a Psa 8 too it will go up mucho and it will be a slightly better investment than the $15 to $50 cards that you will sell to obtain itimage the Psa 8 might surpass $2000 soon so go get it!
  • Options
    Ya im sure the Jordan PSA 8 will pass the 2K mark soon. It will never stabilize it will just keep going up and up. If its going to hit 2K so soon it will prob hit 10K in a few years..you really know your cards man
  • Options

<< <i>Ya im sure the Jordan PSA 8 will pass the 2K mark soon. It will never stabilize it will just keep going up and up. If its going to hit 2K so soon it will prob hit 10K in a few years..you really know your cards man >>

Hurry up and sell your outstanding $15 to $50 cards otherwise the Psa 8 will be out of reach!
  • Options
    Did it hit $200K?
  • Options

<< <i>Did it hit $200K? >>

Has the auction ended? Whatever it ends up at its still the best, rarest, and most popular rookie card of the best basketball player of all time.