Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Has eboli and air strikes affected your coin buying?

CoinZipCoinZip Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭


I rarely turn on a TV, but I did today only to be bombarded with eboli & air strike news. Do these world events have any affect on your coin buying habits?

«1

Comments

  • Options
    image
  • Options
    Cougar1978Cougar1978 Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭✭
    NO - my buying is based on available buying cash and whether the deal can be bought right.
    Investor
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    robecrobec Posts: 7,054 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No more than I'm affected by the flu, which kills 600,000 per year worldwide (595,000 more than ebola).
  • Options
    blu62vetteblu62vette Posts: 11,973 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Eboli?
    http://www.bluccphotos.com" target="new">BluCC Photos Shows for onsite imaging: Nov Baltimore, FUN, Long Beach http://www.facebook.com/bluccphotos" target="new">BluCC on Facebook
  • Options
    Ebola caused me to buy a coin yesterday that normally wouldn't have been given a second look.

    I have a coworker who can't go ten minutes without mentioning Ebola. Yesterday at the local B&M, I found a Liberian coin in his junk box for a buck. Tomorrow, it will be placed on the coworker's desk.
  • Options
    mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭


    << <i>Eboli? >>



    Looks like it is starting to mutate.
    What's next?
    Fbola?
    image
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Given the demographics of the attendees at most coin shows I put the risk of acquiring Ebola at one of them as nearly 0. I would be much more worried about influenza (as posted above) and urge everyone to get their flu shot!

    Herd immunity: it's a GOOD THING.
  • Options
    LindeDadLindeDad Posts: 18,766 ✭✭✭✭✭
    More worried about the Flu and yes I have got the enhance shot for old geezers already. And I'm too old to load bombs anymore "Yes" I did long ago.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image …. been avoiding the coin shows in West Africa and Syria, as well as the Ukraine and Minnesota .

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    OldEastsideOldEastside Posts: 4,602 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Ebola caused me to buy a coin yesterday that normally wouldn't have been given a second look.

    I have a coworker who can't go ten minutes without mentioning Ebola. Yesterday at the local B&M, I found a Liberian coin in his junk box for a buck. Tomorrow, it will be placed on the coworker's desk. >>




    HEhehehehe


    Steve
    Promote the Hobby
  • Options
    AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 25,053 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Although I usually do not buy them, I have seen a lot of coins that look like they have Ebola.

    PS: Only Obama calls is Eboli (as he did last week in one of his speeches).

    Actually these babies I think had the dreaded Ebola and I cured them with a dose of medicinal Acetone!
    image

    There was no helping this advanced case of Ebola and old Abe ended up buried in my back yard.....couldn't be helped....
    image

    bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>No more than I'm affected by the flu, which kills 600,000 per year worldwide (595,000 more than ebola). >>



    Comparing Ebola to the flu is kind of a silly thing to do, given the flu doesn't carry a 70% case fatality rate with it. Ebola could and likely will, at this point, ravage a nice chunk of Africa's population. If it manages to find it's way into the slums of India or something, you're looking at a massive body count. Multiples of what the flu kills in a decade. While you yourself may not be directly threatened by Ebola any time soon, how many of your friends and family work in healthcare? Without proper safeguards, the risks they run in treating Ebola patients are relatively higher since they're dealing with these people at peak infectiousness. You will see further clusters of cases in the states beyond the situation in Dallas right now, until visas from the affected countries are rendered irrelevant and those individuals are barred from entry without extended, mandatory quarantine.

    I know they're building out treatment centers and stuff, but the US has what? 17 ETU's under construction in Liberia right now? I know one is 600 beds, the others I believe are 100 beds. They'll be ready in 60-90 days. There are three open right now. That's 300 beds right now, 2,500 total beds in 60-90 days for a disease that currently has 4,249 reported cases there. WHO says that number is likely 2.5x as high as reported, so you're looking at closer to 10,500 cases or so, with over 6,100 dead. If we know that roughly 30% survive, we can estimate that we have 2,500 survivors. That leaves 1,400 active infections. If that's doubling every 21 days or so, as the pattern has been to this point, you're looking at 11,200 active cases in 63 days. While you don't need to get every patient into an ETU to get the R0 (pronounced R-naught, meaning basic reproductive rate, the number of additional people infected by each infected individual) below one to halt the growth of the outbreak, you need to get about 70% of the sick into ETU's to accomplish that. 70% the number of cases we're likely to see in 2-3 months is at least 7000 beds, probably more. Almost triple the capacity that will exist in Liberia alone, at the current rate of construction.

    I'm not trying to fearmonger or anything, but the situation in West Africa is deteriorating relatively rapidly. Even in Guinea, the country that has been best off to this point, is beginning to see a spike in cases in their fairly dense capital city. Current capacity is strained and the situation only continues to worsen as international intervention lags behind the growth of the epidemic.

    I mean, here's the case numbers for each country charted... you can see the deterioration of reporting standards. It's painfully obvious when looking at Liberia's confirmed cases, or SL's probable cases. What little healthcare systems did exist at the beginning of this outbreak have been beyond strained and without further international intervention, things won't end well.

    >>




    I'd like to point out that flu killed 50 million people in 1918 image
  • Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,666 ✭✭✭✭✭
    i think people confuse ebola with e-coli when pronouncing it...
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I'd like to point out that flu killed 50 million people in 1918 image >>



    50m is nothing compared to what Ebola has the potential to do. There's 1.1bn people in Africa alone. >>



    The Total Cases exponential growth chart is sobering.

    It has not affected my coin buying as of yet.
  • Options
    luckybucksluckybucks Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭
    I don't have a TV. Well, I do, but I never use it. Main stream media, reality TV, and all the other BS means there is nothing good to watch. Plenty on the radio, if you know where to look.

    As far as Ebola and air strikes: The media tends to scare people and make them feel powerless, but then again, the general public takes them at their word and does not research what the media is reporting. Whether it be the Flu or Ebola, we have the power and the responsibility to properly take care of our bodies. This means a good diet (no GMO, processed, or other junk), and plenty of rest. If our body has proper nutrition and is in balance, we will not get sick.

    In terms of coin buying, I am buying more than ever before.
  • Options
    Talked about it on Meet the Press this morning. 20,000+ cases now, 100,000 by Thanksgiving, 300,000 by Chritsmas. I don't like doing the math.
  • Options
    TomBTomB Posts: 23,232 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Ebola is a very serious problem and eradication of the latest outbreak should be a high priority. Given my scientific background I understand this issue much better than most, and there are significant differences between Ebola and the common flu. Ebola has the real potential to be much more of a concern than many appear to take it presently.
    Thomas Bush Numismatics & Numismatic Photography

    In honor of the memory of Cpl. Michael E. Thompson

    image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Trivia time. Who knows why Ebola is properly capitalized while most other diseases such as influenza are not?image








    Answer---The Ebola disease is capitalized since it's named after a geographic location (the Ebola River in Zaire) where it was first discovered.




    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The outbreak is shocking. That we are deploying military to the nation of Africa is a wake up call, and a warning about the possibility of importing the disease. Yet, as a veteran who was on the Biological/Chemical/Nuclear team, protective suits and proper decontamination environments ensured the safety of our whole unit, in a Chemical/ BioHazard. I have no doubts that this disease will take it's toll , without proper protocols in place. And am sure, as most things, like wars (they never stop), the effects will be known long after "our time".

    And like war, it never proves who's right. It only shows who's left.


    Still, the lack of EXTRA money affects my coin buying more than anything. ( to keep the post and my opinion coin related)

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Talked about it on Meet the Press this morning. 20,000+ cases now, 100,000 by Thanksgiving, 300,000 by Chritsmas. I don't like doing the math. >>



    Are there any realistic solutions to preventing this from happening?

    Has anyone read The Hot Zone? Might be time to get it on the Kindle.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>Are there any realistic solutions to preventing this from happening?

    Has anyone read The Hot Zone? Might be time to get it on the Kindle. >>



    The Hot Zone is sensationalized BS, to be frank.

    Best way to stop the current outbreak would be to pour enough resources into the affected nations to do proper contact tracing and quarantine, but that is not really feasible. The second-best way is probably to establish and maintain a military quarantine around the worst areas and focus resources on the lesser-impacted areas, while at the same time, banning travel for citizens of the afflicted areas. That's far more feasible, yet far less likely to happen due to politics. >>



    My understanding is that contact tracing won't work in those countries due to lack of contact records to be traced.
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    SaorAlbaSaorAlba Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No - but a transmission failure on my wife's 61K miles Ford has. Effing thing is 1400 miles beyond the powertrain warranty. EFfed Over Rebuilt Dodge. And she wanted that nasty POC over my objections.
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It does seem like both primary and secondary solutions are not viable at the moment.

    POTUS and the CDC have said they don't consider solutions like banning flights to be viable.

    Also contact tracing seems to have issues. Here's the experience Lt. Levine of the US Public Health Service had with contact tracing recently:



    << <i>Lt. Rebecca Levine, a newly minted officer with the U.S. Public Health Service, stepped off a plane in West Africa to fight Ebola, ready to implement the key strategy she'd been taught: contact tracing.

    The process that's helped stop diseases like SARS and smallpox seems simple: Find everyone who had close contact with infected individuals and track them for 21 days. If any of these contacts comes down with the disease, isolate them from the community and repeat the process by tracking the contacts' contacts.

    But tracing works only if you have a list of the contacts and their addresses. When Levine arrived at a Ministry of Health office in Sierra Leone, she found that the database she needed was "pretty much in shambles."

    Many contacts' addresses were missing or were vague like "down by the farm road." In all, only 20% to 30% of the contacts in the database had a usable address.

    That meant the local contact tracers weren't able to do their jobs properly.

    "They were really unfamiliar with what contact tracing was," she said. "And they didn't have the resources they needed."

    According to the United Nations, only 16 of 44 zones in West Africa have sufficient contact tracing.

    This inability to do complete contact tracing is a major reason -- perhaps the major reason -- that the Ebola outbreak continues to spiral out of control, according to public health officials and experts. >>

  • Options
    mbogomanmbogoman Posts: 5,344 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> nation of Africa >>



    Africa is a continent, not a nation. Africa contains 54 sovereign nations. Africa is three times the size of the continental US.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I'd like to point out that flu killed 50 million people in 1918 image >>



    50m is nothing compared to what Ebola has the potential to do. There's 1.1bn people in Africa alone. >>



    Too bad that Ebola can't be Emailed to ISIS!
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 10,438 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i>I'd like to point out that flu killed 50 million people in 1918 image >>



    50m is nothing compared to what Ebola has the potential to do. There's 1.1bn people in Africa alone. >>




    In 1918 no one was flying from africa or anywhere else . If people had been able to move about like they do now that 50 million would have been a much higher number
  • Options
    NapNap Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm an infectious disease doctor. Usually when I say that, people say or think, "Eww.. germs!" Nowadays though people are asking me questions nonstop.

    I don't see any particular reason why Ebola would effect coin buying. But then again it seems to effect the financial markets. Whenever there is uncertainty, some people will hoard currency.

    As far as the comparison to influenza. I will say that Ebola is horrifying, and who knows how high the death toll will go. However, a highly aggressive influenza virus, like the Spanish Flu of about 100 years ago, is to me far, far scarier. Nobody really knows why it was such a bad flu that year. Healthy people who should not die from flu were dying from flu. Flu is much easier to transmit than Ebola.
  • Options
    fishteethfishteeth Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My wife works for a very well known hospital and was just asked if she would volunteer if an ebola case comes in. I told her NO WAY, not with 3 little kids
  • This content has been removed.
  • Options
    mozinmozin Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭
    Sure, I am concerned about Ebola in the USA, but my Ebola concern has absolutely nothing to do with my coin buying. I am all for stopping all flights in and out of the continent of Africa. Heck, I would even try to patrol the seas around Africa.
    I collect Capped Bust series by variety in PCGS AU/MS grades.
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 45,242 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>

    << <i> nation of Africa >>



    Africa is a continent, not a nation. Africa contains 54 sovereign nations. Africa is three times the size of the continental US. >>



    Yes, I stand corrected and I thank you for that. It is a NATION of people on the same continent, despite it's many "governments'' within.
    My point was more about a plight we cannot ignore and our (human beings) fight is the same. For a better quality of life and to eradicate disease, one would hope.

    Practice makes perfect & nobody is perfect. So, practice being nobody.

  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 35,976 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No. The market just thin right now. There just not much out there to buy.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,958 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The Ebola song you can listen to while browsing eBay.
  • Options
    LakesammmanLakesammman Posts: 17,702 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well, I did pass on the Isis brand gin at the store yesterday - what an unfortunate name! image
    Gone but not forgotten: IGWT, Speedy, Bear, BigE, HokieFore, John Burns, Russ, TahoeDale, Dahlonega, Astrorat, Stewart Blay, Oldhoopster, Ricko, Big Moose, Cardinal, CoinsAreFun.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Not the buying, no. but I did pull out my Liberia coins for a gander. They are all USA-loving. Those poor people are probably looking to us now, wondering why we haven't cured them of this horror. I wish we could.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Well, I did pass on the Isis brand gin at the store yesterday - what an unfortunate name! image >>



    Their logo is white on black as well image
  • Options
    yosclimberyosclimber Posts: 5,328 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>a highly aggressive influenza virus, like the Spanish Flu of about 100 years ago, is to me far, far scarier. Nobody really knows why it was such a bad flu that year. >>


    Actually I believe the reason is known (or strongly suspected) now. It may not be widely known; for example it is missing from the wikipedia entry.
    The Spanish Flu of 1918 had an unusually high fatality rate because many of its victims already had damaged lungs due to tuberculosis.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2740912/
    http://www.hindawi.com/journals/cmmm/2012/124861/

    And since the incidence of tuberculosis is much lower now, we shouldn't expect to see another seasonal flu epidemic with such a high mortality rate.
  • Options
    Aw, it's OK. Just boil all your coins before touching them ... and always wear rubber gloves.
    Let's try not to get upset.
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    Between AIDS and Ebola, rubbers and plastics are humanity's savior. What would we do without them?!
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    mustangmanbobmustangmanbob Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I have a wife and a daughter who are nurses in Dallas, but not at the affected hospital.

    It is a huge hospital turning into a deserted island. No one wants to go there, no one wants to stay there, significant number of staff are quarantined, agency nurses won't go there.

    To top it all off, my son is a medic with the 1st Cav Division, but he is deployed to the Baltics playing eyeball to eyeball with the Russians

    Ask me how world events are affecting our home.

    image
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 47,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't forget to vote for change next month. image

    Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I have a wife and a daughter who are nurses in Dallas, but not at the affected hospital.

    It is a huge hospital turning into a deserted island. No one wants to go there, no one wants to stay there, significant number of staff are quarantined, agency nurses won't go there.

    To top it all off, my son is a medic with the 1st Cav Division, but he is deployed to the Baltics playing eyeball to eyeball with the Russians

    Ask me how world events are affecting our home.

    image >>



    Perhaps people are waiting out the incubation period, up to 31 days for the Congo outbreak.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 31,676 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>The Ebola song you can listen to while browsing eBay. >>



    Or like the Budweiser song, When you say Ebola, you've spread it all.
    theknowitalltroll;
  • Options
    SeattleSlammerSeattleSlammer Posts: 10,126 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Don't forget to vote for change next month. image >>





    Inappropriate post...yet somehow made less inappropriate by skillful use of the image ?
    It's a coin forum.

  • Options
    COALPORTERCOALPORTER Posts: 2,900 ✭✭
    I still buy coins, just stopped eating monkey meat pies.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file