Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

NEWP 1921 Peace buck.

morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
Straight graded in a current PCGS slab. Lots of luster when tilted in the light, what do you guys think?

imageimage
World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO

Comments

  • Options
    WeissWeiss Posts: 9,942 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Surfaces look rubbed/iffy. So 58. But if that's a trick of the light and image, then a 63 (tag on the eagle's breast keeps it from 64).

    So net graded AU63 image
    We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last.
    --Severian the Lame
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very Well struck and perhaps 64
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 34,330 ✭✭✭✭✭
    nice peace dollar image
  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    If they revived this design, I'd never carry $1 bills again.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The white balance looks off on that otherwise splendid image.
    65 is my WAG.

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    metalmeistermetalmeister Posts: 4,633 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Nice! My WAG is MS64 because of the reverse ding. Obverse looks clean.
    email: ccacollectibles@yahoo.com

    100% Positive BST transactions
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Reshot it, using a 18% grey card. Maybe I should go with halogens instead of CFL's. The grey card should be shot at the same distance as the slab correct?

    imageimage

    Not exceptional for the grade, but acceptable, JMO.
    image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    410a410a Posts: 1,325 ✭
    Better than average strike, but not hammered. It won't 5 but 64 is a shot .I like the coin. image I have a weakness for 21s 24s 25s nice 21.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I would say 64...nice coin.....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    SwampboySwampboy Posts: 13,269 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i> The grey card should be shot at the same distance as the slab correct? >>



    morgansforever I had problems (issues lol) getting a handle on white balance until I discovered the WB adjustment that came with my Canon software. With that, I can just noodle around until the image on my monitor is identical in color cast to the piece I'm shooting.

    "Inspiration exists, but it has to find you working" Pablo Picasso

  • Options
    LochNESSLochNESS Posts: 4,829 ✭✭✭
    I have had many discussions with my wife (who is a professional photographer) regarding the actual colors in real life vs the colors balance on the screen.
    Sometimes it's hard to capture, like fireworks against a black sky. It's amazing how, with all our technological advancements, our eyeballs are still superior.

    I prefer the real-life colors at all times whereas she will sometimes make a photo "warmer" or "cooler" usually when the subject is people (portraiture) and the sky was overcast or extra sunny, etc.
    ANA LM • WBCC 429

    Amat Colligendo Focum

    Top 10 • FOR SALE

    image
  • Options
    GRANDAMGRANDAM Posts: 8,785 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Very nice coin,,,,, image

    GrandAm image
    GrandAm :)
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,386 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I really like that peace dollar. better than avg strike and I would not abandon the CFL's.
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Congrats on picking up a nice looking 1921 Peace Dollar with above average strike.

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    One of the reasons for the purchase was the strike and much more affordable than a 5 or 6. Make that way more affordable. Stuart, mind posting your 21, I believe you posted one before struck with proof dies.
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Stuart, mind posting your 21, I believe you posted one before struck with proof dies. >>

    MorgansForever, As requested in your above quoted post here are a couple of VAM-1H's for comparison purposes:

    1921 (VAM-1H) Peace Dollar - Struck from Satin Proof Dies - (Ex Goldberg Sale 44 - Lot 3179)
    imageimage

    1921 Peace Dollar (VAM-1H) - Struck from Satin Proof Dies - (Ex Stack's Bowers March 2012 Baltimore Auction - Lot 8540)
    imageimage

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks Stuart. I realized where all the images are, in the test forum, tons of images searching 1921.
    This was the one I thought was as struck up as they come. Some serious relief! Is is slabbed, must be?

    image
    image
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Is is slabbed, must be? >>

    MorgansForever, In reply to your above question, yes this 1921 Peace Dollar resides in a PCGS MS-63 Slab.

    Mark Feld has a great eye for selecting PQ coins, and Jeremy Katz takes great coin photographs.

    1921 Peace Dollar - Strong Strike, Full Mint Luster & Attractive Toning
    image
    Photo Credit - Jeremy Katz (aka AirplaneNut)

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,513 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << yes this 1921 Peace Dollar resides in a PCGS MS-63 Slab>>

    Is that a typo? Must be.

    Re-shot it again, I just maybe generated the image I like most.

    imageimage
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options
    StuartStuart Posts: 9,831 ✭✭✭✭✭
    << Is that a typo? Must be. >>

    MorgansForever, I rechecked my records and confirmed that it's a PCGS MS-63 with a Green CAC sticker.

    Following are Jeremy Katz's (who photographed the coin for Mark Feld) comments posted in my original November 2009 thread about this interesting coin:
    "In hand that's a fantastic piece... a really, really nice 1921 not just for the strike, but also the strong, frosty lustre and very attractive medium golden toning. Superb pickup, Stuart!"

    1921 Peace Dollar - Strong Strike, Full Mint Luster & Attractive Toning
    imageimage
    Photo Credit - Jeremy Katz (aka AirplaneNut)

    Stuart

    Collect 18th & 19th Century US Type Coins, Silver Dollars, $20 Gold Double Eagles and World Crowns & Talers with High Eye Appeal

    "Luck is what happens when Preparation meets Opportunity"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file