Home› U.S. Coin Forum
Options

True Views

WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
I have a PCGS coin in a MS 64 'Secure' slab and was wondering if I called PCGS would I be able to get 'true view' images of the coin. Do they keep those on file or is that something that can only be done when the coin is originally slabbed. I would like to see a true view image of the coin that brings out it's true beauty not the sickly HA image, which is all that I have right now.

Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Comments

  • Options
    I believe that PCGS posts any images that they have when one does a cert verification. TrueViews have to be requested (and paid for) when the coins are sent in to PCGS. Occasionally a photo will be taken and posted on cert verification (and CoinFacts), even though a TrueView wasn't requested -- but this image will not have the TrueView background.
    "Clamorous for Coin"
  • Options
    lcoopielcoopie Posts: 8,875 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I believe they are only taken if requested and they are done outside the slab
    LCoopie = Les
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I believe that PCGS posts any images that they have when one does a cert verification. TrueViews have to be requested (and paid for) when the coins are sent in to PCGS. Occasionally a photo will be taken and posted on cert verification (and CoinFacts), even though a TrueView wasn't requested -- but this image will not have the TrueView background. >>



    Yes--there is an image in their cert. verify database but it is nowhere near as nice as a true view. I guess that I'm outta luck. image

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>I believe they are only taken if requested and they are done outside the slab >>



    Thought so. Thanks for the info.

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    MilkmanDanMilkmanDan Posts: 3,768 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>Yes--there is an image in their cert. verify database but it is nowhere near as nice as a true view. I guess that I'm outta luck. image >>



    That's a secure plus image which is much lower quality. You'd have to re-submit the coin for a re-holder and request TrueView service.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you really like the coin, it could be worth the cost....or, you could send it to one of the really great coin
    photographers here on the forum... they do incredible work too. Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>If you really like the coin, it could be worth the cost....or, you could send it to one of the really great coin
    photographers here on the forum... they do incredible work too. Cheers, RickO >>



    Yeah--I'm not gonna mess with cracking it out. WAY more trouble than it's worth to me. But as you said---having it imaged by a reputable photographer, at a big show, would be a MUCH better plan for me and that is what I'll likely do. Cheers. image

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

  • Options
    CurrinCurrin Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With PCGS being in the business to make profits, and the images of coins in their database could be sold, I don't understand why all their images are not made available for sell. Seem to me to be a miss business opportunity.
    My 20th Century Type Set, With Type Variations---started : 9/22/1997 ---- completed : 1/7/2004

    My 20th Century Gold Major Design Type Set ---started : 11/17/1997 ---- completed : 1/21/2004
  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭
    My understanding is that PCGS can do an in-slab TrueView upon request so don't rule out our hosts.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    They can take in slab images. They took one of my cross coins in the NGC holder. NCG said MS66; PCGS crossed at MS65. The reason for the cross is the coin is a Large S variety. I didn't ask for the image, but is shows with the cert verification.

    PCGS cert no. 24068800

    image

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    ZoinsZoins Posts: 34,489 ✭✭✭✭✭


    << <i>They can take in slab images. They took one of my cross coins in the NGC holder. NCG said MS66; PCGS crossed at MS65. The reason for the cross is the coin is a Large S variety. I didn't ask for the image, but is shows with the cert verification.

    PCGS cert no. 24068800

    image >>



    I wasn't expecting a CoinFacts image of a NGC coin. Very cool.
  • Options
    fcloudfcloud Posts: 12,133 ✭✭✭✭
    I was surprised to see it when I checked cert numbers the first time. I think this is the only one in I have seen in a competitors' holder.

    President, Racine Numismatic Society 2013-2014; Variety Resource Dimes; See 6/8/12 CDN for my article on Winged Liberty Dimes; Ebay

  • Options
    WalkerfanWalkerfan Posts: 10,395 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Cool!! An 'in slab' true view would be ideal!!

    Sometimes, it’s better to be LUCKY than good. 🍀 🍺👍

    My Full Walker Registry Set (1916-1947):

    https://www.ngccoin.com/registry/competitive-sets/16292/

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Image
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file