Home Precious Metals

Altoids Emergency Survival Small Tin

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
Me and a friend are experimenting with emergency kits. You know, all the standard stuff like fishing line,
fire starter, paracord. I came up with one I thought was vital for your Bug Out Bag.

What would you put in your Altoids tin?

COA

Comments

• MGLICKERMGLICKER Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭
    Keltec...if it would fit.
  • guitarwesguitarwes Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭
    More 45ACP boolits
    @ Elite CNC Routing & Woodworks on Facebook. Check out my work.
    Too many positive BST transactions with too many members to list.
  • astroratastrorat Posts: 9,221 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a real SHTF scenario, PMs and cash will be meaningless.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces
  • rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    cash would be good to start a fire...
    keceph `anah
  • vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    Altoids! Gold, silver and paper don't do a great job of keeping your mouth fresh.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • JohnnyCacheJohnnyCache Posts: 1,739 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Easy additions to an Altoids tin

Pocket snare.
    Yes you can make your own, but this little gem is very well constructed and tucks away super nicely.

Firesteel Gobspark.
    It throws out gobs of sparks as its nickname suggests. About twice the size of other fero-rods, it rains fire when struck. Plus its larger size makes it easy to hold on to and use, even while wearing gloves.

• mariner67mariner67 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭

<< <i>In a real SHTF scenario, PMs and cash will be meaningless. >>

And...
    "cash would be good to start a fire... "

JC....nice stash!
    Successful trades/buys/sells with gdavis70, adriana, wondercoin, Weiss, nibanny, IrishMike, commoncents05, pf70collector, kyleknap, barefootjuan, coindeuce, WhiteTornado, Nefprollc, ajw, JamesM, PCcoins, slinc, coindudeonebay,beernuts, and many more
  • PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>In a real SHTF scenario, PMs and cash will be meaningless. >>

And...
    "cash would be good to start a fire... "

JC....nice stash! >>

Actually, paper is a poor choice if you are using a firesteel to build a fire in a survival situation. The best choice for tinder is either cotton balls or clothes dryer lint which is not only free but very easily ignited. If you add some petroleum jelly to the cotton balls they ignite very easily and burn for a few minutes making it easy to build a fire in a survival situation (they are called "back woods napalm").

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... firearms and food, first considerations.....Cheers, RickO
  • jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,634 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In a real SHTF scenario, PMs and cash will be meaningless.

My best guess is that there are already several locales in this country where I would consider it a real SHTF scenario. The goal, of course is to avoid being in the middle of it. Along those lines, PMs and cash will always be useful. Firearms and food aren't necessarily a crazy investment either. It only takes a single incident to change your life forever.

My feeling is that if you need to prep a bugout bag, you're already living in the wrong place, even though it hasn't become critical yet.

Altoids tin-wise, I'd probably put 1/4 oz AGEs into it, and some cash as shown. But I'd have something else holstered on my hip too.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • johnny9434johnny9434 Posts: 28,057 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yep.... firearms and food, first considerations.....Cheers, RickO >>

that works for me. have a nice day
  • mrpaseomrpaseo Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Me and a friend are experimenting with emergency kits. You know, all the standard stuff like fishing line,
    fire starter, paracord. I came up with one I thought was vital for your Bug Out Bag.

image >>

I know you are just showing off your goods image But in a SHTF situation, you will need smaller increments of "money", otherwise you will pay high for everything. If you need food, you are going to have to drop a chunk of metal or the whole 50 because no one will have change.

For the record, there are literally hundreds of SHTF scenarios to prep for, like jmski52 said, there are already places now that could be considered a SHTF scenario... think of Detroit. Pick your reason but truthfully, everyone should be prepped for something. This means you have though of a worst case scenario and have taken actions to assist yourself if it ever happens.

Do you have jumper cables in your trunk?
    Do you have a blanket in your trunk?
    Do you own a gun?
    Do you have more food than you can eat in a week...a month?
    Do you have a plan for inclement weather?
    Do you keep a cash emergency fund in the house?

If you have done any of these... you are a prepper..lol.

This may be a nice addition to your tin.
    A P38 is a necessity.

Everyone has their opinion with silver/gold/money. I would think a bunch of singles (One dollar bills), lots of silver quarters/dimes. A few 1/10 oz AGEs.

The Altoid kit is nice to play with but it should accent a useful go bag at a minimum.
  • AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my neck of the Mojave it's water and ammo first. Food is an afterthought and nice if the crap
    continues. But water is primary and very dear in the desert.

bobimage

Let me ask a very basic question or two. If I had only two gallons of water left and you wanted one of them, do
    you think I'd take your money in exchange? Probably your cash and gold is worthless.

If you live in a city and tried to leave where would you bug out to? Could you even get to your bug out bag and out
    of town safely? How much time would it take to implement your bug out plan?
    Might better think of holing up right where you live. Panic sets in with riots and looting very quickly
    and just traveling on the streets could very well be a big risk.

Plan to stay home and prepare to defend. Be able to cook if the utilities get shut down, have a way to store water, and
    have a strong bolt on the doors. It much easier to defend your home than try to defend a camp in the woods or such.

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com
  • tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
    Yeah, I have a lot of different kits I'm working on.

This one I call the "Vegas Kit."
    Its 4am, you gambled all your money away, and you have a hooker on your arm, and the ATM laughs at you. Its a perfect kit except for the one thing missing.

<< <i>
    I know you are just showing off your goods image But in a SHTF situation, you will need smaller increments of "money", otherwise you will pay high for everything. If you need food, you are going to have to drop a chunk of metal or the whole 50 because no one will have change.

>>

COA
  • MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,705 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Yeah, I have a lot of different kits I'm working on.

This one I call the "Vegas Kit."
    Its 4am, you gambled all your money away, and you have a hooker on your arm, and the ATM laughs at you. Its a perfect kit except for the one thing missing.

>>

The hooker's pin ?

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • RedTigerRedTiger Posts: 5,608

<< <i>
    Do you have jumper cables in your trunk?
    Do you have a blanket in your trunk?
    Do you own a gun?
    Do you have more food than you can eat in a week...a month?
    Do you have a plan for inclement weather?
    Do you keep a cash emergency fund in the house?

>>

The list above has some common sense suggestions. There is stuff that is smart to carry around every day. These include Band Aids, alcohol swaps, an Ace Bandage, dental floss, aspirin (or similar), a small bottle of water, a small snack, a few $20 dollar bills and a few $1 dollar bills. This little bit will get a person through a day or two.

Next step up is evacuation due to fire, flood, earthquake, hurricane, etc. Emergency blanket (space blanket), change of socks, underwear, wash cloth, toothbrush, toothpaste, Purell (or similar), gallon of water, a box of granola bars or similar, a flashlight, battery powered radio, $200 or $300 cash with some $5 bills (multiples if there are more people). This little bit will enough for three days or so.

Where are folks starting all these fires? Anyone that lives in a major coastal city is likely going to have to travel for hours before they get to places where outdoor fires make much sense. It might be days of travel if the roads are closed. If there is martial law in a true emergency, roads will be closed, with exemptions only for military, police and emergency services. If a person lives in a rural area, they have all that survival gear handy at all times, multiple sets, plus a generator, plus a bigger stock pile of food and water than a city dweller. How much time is it worth thinking about yet another small bit of kit? Fun for some I guess, but it isn't going to make a hill of beans difference for most.

Best to plan for every day events, or once every ten or twenty year events such as a big hurricane, major flood or earthquake. The once in a hundred year or five hundred event isn't going to unfold the way the bloggers are telling you.

For example, let's take the Ebola outbreak or something similar. Say over some random future weekend the news breaks that they are many misdiagnosed cases, the virus has mutated, and the new projection is five million Americans infected within three months with half likely to die from the disease. Worst case is now 30 million Americans infected within a year, half are likely to die. Where would a person go to hide? Would a person rather stay in the cities where there are hospitals, so there is some hope of treatment if there is a break through? Or out in the middle of no where with little way to get back to a city, if a person comes down with symptoms? Perhaps a person is already infected, but the symptoms are not showing yet. Testing is not available because of the sheer numbers of people. Would you go or would you stay?

<< <i>In a real SHTF scenario, PMs and cash will be meaningless.

My best guess is that there are already several locales in this country where I would consider it a real SHTF scenario. >>

We must have a completely different definition of SHTF.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
    See http://www.doubledimes.com for a free online reference for US twenty-cent pieces

My best guess is that there are already several locales in this country where I would consider it a real SHTF scenario. >>

We must have a completely different definition of SHTF.
    Numismatist Ordinaire
  • perkdogperkdog Posts: 30,189 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Tough decision..........

• PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,915 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

We must have a completely different definition of SHTF. >>

There are many different SHIF scenarios. It may involve natural disasters, civil disobedience or riots, economic collapse, etc.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.
    "Paper money eventually returns to its intrinsic value---zero."----Voltaire
    "Everything you say should be true, but not everything true should be said."----Voltaire

• << <i>Me and a friend are experimenting with emergency kits. You know, all the standard stuff like fishing line,

image >>

How exactly are you conducting this "experiment?"

My guess:
    Tom: you know the government is going to raise taxes to 100 percent and take away our guns?
    Bob: oh no they don't! tell em to come and git me, cuz I ain't goin nowhere!
    (Tom and Bob pray and watch Fox News.)
  • TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 44,195 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In my Altoid tin, I have one Preparation H suppository, 2 aspirin and a condom. Should the SHTF I'll try to remember what I have them for.

HE>I

• AUandAGAUandAG Posts: 24,708 ✭✭✭✭✭

My guess:
    Tom: you know the government is going to raise taxes to 100 percent and take away our guns?
    Bob: oh no they don't! tell em to come and git me, cuz I ain't goin nowhere!
    (Tom and Bob pray and watch Fox News.) >>

Actually, your are correct as I could not go anywhere if I tried. My little four door chevy would not take me
    far and certainly not off road. The amount of gas in the tank at any one time will likely put me in BFE and
    worse off than staying put. At 68 it is easier to defend that be offensive.
    Yes, I do watch Fox, and ABC and NBC and CNN and never MSNBC....

Living in Las Vegas, in the middle of town will likely get me killed trying to leave.

I could last perhaps a month but probably not much more so things better get back to normal quick or
    I'll have to leave the nest and go hunting...............i

bobimage
    Registry: CC lowballs (boblindstrom), bobinvegas1989@yahoo.com