Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Okay, I found a crappy coin dealer

topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
Was out of town yesterday.
Blundered into a ....."coin shop" and he was touting a 100 oz bar
to a STOOPID ole gink an his wife for only $2500.

I asked what he pays for generic rounds
He said he'd have to SEE em.

WHAT? Generic new silver rounds and you have to SEE them? They are unopened NWTM rounds in tubes of 20.

I have to see them.

made me fluxy image

Moral: Don't even BOTHER with a "coin shop" that sells repro Indian artifacts and souvenirs.

Comments

• Options
    stevebensteveben Posts: 4,596 ✭✭✭✭✭
    obviously not a bullion dealer.
  • Options
    You never said they bought it. Maybe they were not STOOPID.
  • Options
    topstuftopstuf Posts: 14,803 ✭✭✭✭✭
    No, they were STOOPID.

Same comments I got from many silver buyers.

"Oh, silver is WAY better than gold. Gold isn't as popular. Silver is POOR MAN'S GOLD."
    and the capper,

"Will ya trade it for my wife?" (who was standing next to him)

Yeh, "STOOPID" fits well.
  • Options
    FullStrikeFullStrike Posts: 4,353 ✭✭✭
    Well at least he wasn't trying to sell a 100 oz Copper bullion bar. image

Most Coin Dealers are full of it. Be they low end or high end, anyone selling nickels and dimes for 3000x face can't be
    too straight.

• Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,951 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>made me fluxy image >>

It make you feel liquid in physical context? image

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Fluxy?? LMAO
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe he was asking to see them to see if you actually had them.

He is paying the rent somehow, and I am sure it is not on a dollar spread on generic silver rounds. Kind of naive for anyone to think a little shop can do that. Not saying you have to be his customer, but calling him crappy because he does not cater to the expectations of a sophisticated collector does not seem right either.

Just saying.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"
  • Options
    FullStepJeffsFullStepJeffs Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭
    Ok, so I have to ask the question...

What amount under/over spot would you have wanted to get hypothetically for the NWTM rounds you offered him? And then where should he sell them at in order to ensure his store remains open? Now, you wanna argue the consumer had a certain responsibility to understand what a reasonable premium should be on the 100 oz bar... I got no problem with that.

See, I happen to agree with the coin dealer. If you got beat-up-from-the-feet-up silver rounds that would be better off at the refinery or coins covered in Bismuth, do you think the number paid should be the same as brand new stagecoach bars or rounds?

I think it would be much better to know he's at least attempting to give you the best offer he can... would you rather he give you a blanket number, no matter the look of the coin? I'll tell you, I've got some silver rounds... what are you paying for them sight unseen?

Also, how is this dealers offer any different than APMEX's offers to buy certain silver coins at a premium? You got Canadian Silver Wolf Coins? They're buying them at $5 over spot right now. But they better be perfect coins... otherwise, they are going to significantly reduce their offer. Hypothetically, if you have these coins and ask the dealer what he's paying for them sight unseen, are you going to be happy selling at a "normal" premium for perfect coins?

Peace!

Steve

U.S. Air Force Security Forces Retired

In memory of the USAF Security Forces lost: A1C Elizabeth N. Jacobson, 9/28/05; SSgt Brian McElroy, 1/22/06; TSgt Jason Norton, 1/22/06; A1C Lee Chavis, 10/14/06; SSgt John Self, 5/14/07; A1C Jason Nathan, 6/23/07; SSgt Travis Griffin, 4/3/08; 1Lt Joseph Helton, 9/8/09; SrA Nicholas J. Alden, 3/3/2011. God Bless them and all those who have lost loved ones in this war. I will never forget their loss.
  • Options
    SoCalBigMarkSoCalBigMark Posts: 2,786 ✭✭✭✭✭
    People get tired of people asking a price just to hear it.
  • Options
    brg5658brg5658 Posts: 2,394 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Maybe if you CAPITALIZE enough WORDS in your POST people will always agree with YOU.

-Brandon
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-
    My sets: [280+ horse coins] :: [France Sowers] :: [Colorful world copper] :: [Beautiful world coins]
    -~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

• Options
    I HAVE SOME MORGAN DOLLAR THINGS HOW MUCH YOU GIVING FOR THEM?
  • Options
    telephoto1telephoto1 Posts: 4,755 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>People get tired of people asking a price just to hear it. >>

Thank you.
    I get tired of "how much do you pay for..." questions by people who are idly killing time, aren't serious about selling (unless they can get retail), or often don't even own any of what they're inquiring about. My time has value, to me at least.

Edit to add... OP, I'd want to see the rounds before quoting also, especially with someone I didn't know. Lots of fakes out there for starters, plus it shows me you're serious and not just talking.

RIP Mom- 1932-2012
  • Options
    gripgrip Posts: 9,962 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Thank you.
    I get tired of "how much do you pay for..." questions by people who are idly killing time, aren't serious about selling (unless they can get retail), or often don't even own any of what they're inquiring about. My time has value, to me at least.

Edit to add... OP, I'd want to see the rounds before quoting also, especially with someone I didn't know. Lots of fakes out there for starters, plus it shows me you're serious and not just talking. >>

+1
  • Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thank you.

Edit to add... OP, I'd want to see the rounds before quoting also, especially with someone I didn't know. Lots of fakes out there for starters, plus it shows me you're serious and not just talking. >>

+1 >>

Yep, my thoughts as well.

Were you interested in buying a 100 oz bar or in selling some tubes of rounds? Or maybe not serious about either, just "blundering around" pulling chains and ruffling feathers for fun?

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Yep.... I would want to see the silver rounds first... plus, not a good time to be selling silver. Sure hope the old couple did not buy the 100 oz. bar at that price....Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    originalisbestoriginalisbest Posts: 5,919 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

<< <i>

Thank you.

+1 >>

Yep, my thoughts as well.

Were you interested in buying a 100 oz bar or in selling some tubes of rounds? Or maybe not serious about either, just "blundering around" pulling chains and ruffling feathers for fun? >>

OP is a grumpy old cuss who's also an ex-pawnshop owner, so be sure to look at his post in that context. image

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file