Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Silver eagle prices

Silver is down to $17 an ounce. If it remains stable to continues to drop, do you think we will start to see silver eagles offered at shows for $20? How much are dealers currently asking for silver eagles at shows?

Comments

• Options
    joeykoinsjoeykoins Posts: 14,881 ✭✭✭✭✭
    By right it should be about $20 per. Here's a thought? Say by some strange reason Silver were to tumble to a staggering $4 an ounce. Can we honestly see Silver Eagles priced at $7 or $8 per.? I doubt it! One never knows, Silver could fall that low?image

"Jesus died for you and for me, Thank you,Jesus"!!!

--- If it should happen I die and leave this world and you want to remember me. Please only remember my opening Sig Line.
  • Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,992 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Don't know and don't care since I don't buy silver from dealers at shows. A better question is when will the Mint stop selling them at spot plus $2? Silver hasn't been under $18 in 4 years or more. How much $18 silver is the Mint sitting on? If silver goes to $14 next week, will the Mint sell ASEs at a loss?

I would expect that it would be some % over cost that would assure a profit. Whether people will buy is the question.
  • Options
    shorecollshorecoll Posts: 5,445 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The last time silver cratered, ASEs went right along for the ride, I'm sure people will try to hold out, depends on how long it stays down.
    ANA-LM, NBS, EAC
  • Options
    Wabbit2313Wabbit2313 Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭✭

In rolls, they are selling at $21 each on eBay today.
  • Options
    BillJonesBillJones Posts: 33,486 ✭✭✭✭✭
    But if you listen to the barkers on the radio, there is "a world-wide shortage of silver" and the silver mines can't keep up with the demand. Soon the world will run out of silver the electronics industry will go bust and there will be anarchy.

If you listened to every alarmist there is for (pick an issue) you would dig hole and put the dirt over you in despair. image The trouble is too many people listen to authoritative sounding voices that are not really experts or who have an agenda that goes beyond what they are preaching.

When I was dealer I owned a set of silver eagles by date and mint for about an hour. They were fun to look at, but when I had a chance to sell them for a quick profit I took advantage of it.
    Retired dealer and avid collector of U.S. type coins, 19th century presidential campaign medalets and selected medals. In recent years I have been working on a set of British coins - at least one coin from each king or queen who issued pieces that are collectible. I am also collecting at least one coin for each Roman emperor from Julius Caesar to ... ?
  • Options
    TassaTassa Posts: 2,373 ✭✭

<< <i>The last time silver cratered, ASEs went right along for the ride, I'm sure people will try to hold out, depends on how long it stays down. >>

When silver dipped under $19 (summer 2013?) the premiums were pretty high for a short time. At one point, I sold some to a customer at $3.50 over spot and called to order more and the wholesale price was $5 over. I think it had gotten as high at $7 over spot at one point. It settled back down after a couple of weeks but I had a week wait on Eagles and a five week wait on 1oz rounds around that time.

Today I was pricing them at $20.50 if someone was purchasing 20 or more.
  • Options
    tombrtombr Posts: 863 ✭✭
    I bought two rolls last week at the Battlefield Coin Show in Gettysburg last Saturday. 812.00-----20.30 each.
  • Options
    TennesseeDaveTennesseeDave Posts: 4,742 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $19.82 each from JM Bullion if you buy 100+
    Trade $'s
  • Options
    morgansforevermorgansforever Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭✭✭
    JM has 2014 rolls for $399.80 as of right now, like going back in time a few years.

JM
    World coins FSHO Hundreds of successful BST transactions U.S. coins FSHO
  • Options

<< <i>$19.82 each from JM Bullion if you buy 100+ >>

$19.63 if you buy them as 5 rolls. The 5-24 roll price is $392.60

Normally it doesn't matter at JM which form you buy them in, only the quantity.
  • Options
    pitbosspitboss Posts: 8,643 ✭✭✭
    How are the West Point eagles doing? I have not even looked for at least a year.
  • Options
    ScootersdadScootersdad Posts: 172 ✭✭✭
    Show on Saturday 27 th, slabbed Gem B.U. no grades for $23.00 and lots of them.
  • Options
    savoyspecialsavoyspecial Posts: 7,268 ✭✭✭✭
    they should be both bought AND sold for $17.....to profit on these is UnAmerican

www.brunkauctions.com

• Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,850 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Get them for Less … tomorrow.
  • Options
    I remember that in the mid-90s, when silver was around $5 or so, Coins Magazine used to give a silver eagle as a gift if you renewed your subscription for a year.

Check out the Southern Gold Society

• Options
    keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much $18 silver is the Mint sitting on?

I would assume the Mint functions like a dealer would function and that they would follow the market prices. if they sell at spot + $2 isn't it logical that they are buying at spot?? what you envision is that the Mint purchased all the Silver they thought they would need for the year way back in December. I understand this is the Government, but I don't think they do that.
  • Options
    VanHalenVanHalen Posts: 3,814 ✭✭✭✭✭
    It will be interesting to see if rolls of ASE fall to $350 if and when silver hits $15.

• Options

<< <i> How much $18 silver is the Mint sitting on?

I would assume the Mint functions like a dealer would function and that they would follow the market prices. if they sell at spot + $2 isn't it logical that they are buying at spot?? what you envision is that the Mint purchased all the Silver they thought they would need for the year way back in December. I understand this is the Government, but I don't think they do that. >>

I don't think they buy a year's worth at a time, but doubt they order every day either. I thought they had fairly heavy stockpiles of metals. Their purchasing info should be available through their annual report or other public means, no?
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,365 ✭✭✭✭✭
    With the downward spiral silver has been taking, buying at $20 doesn't sound too keen, no? This place sounds like a dealer's den.

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    PTVETTERPTVETTER Posts: 5,882 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am not saying there is a shortage of silver, but I tried to get some sunshine 10 oz bars. I called 4 suppliers and NO one hade any.

3 to 4 week waiting period.

There may not be a shortage of silver, but I feel there is no overage either!

EXCEPT: for paper silver. Oh what a great deal "paper silver" is.
    Pat Vetter,Mercury Dime registry set,1938 Proof set registry,Pat & BJ Coins:724-325-7211

• Options

<< <i>I am not saying there is a shortage of silver, but I tried to get some sunshine 10 oz bars. I called 4 suppliers and NO one hade any.

EXCEPT: for paper silver. Oh what a great deal "paper silver" is. >>

The HELL you say?image
  • Options
    bestdaybestday Posts: 4,220 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I am not saying there is a shortage of silver, but I tried to get some sunshine 10 oz bars. I called 4 suppliers and NO one hade any.

EXCEPT: for paper silver. Oh what a great deal "paper silver" is. >>

what nonsense.. silver dropping under 17.00 .. a shortage ? silver would be rising is there was a supposed tight supply ...silver last year was 24.00
  • Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,046 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>By right it should be about $20 per. Here's a thought? Say by some strange reason Silver were to tumble to a staggering $4 an ounce. Can we honestly see Silver Eagles priced at $7 or $8 per.? I doubt it! One never knows, Silver could fall that low?image >>

No. This is when the ASE's will be marketed for their "numismatic value". It seems whichever is higher: Bulion value or numismatic value is the order of the day.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    StoogeStooge Posts: 4,649 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i> How much $18 silver is the Mint sitting on?

I would assume the Mint functions like a dealer would function and that they would follow the market prices. if they sell at spot + $2 isn't it logical that they are buying at spot?? what you envision is that the Mint purchased all the Silver they thought they would need for the year way back in December. I understand this is the Government, but I don't think they do that. >>

I don't think they buy a year's worth at a time, but doubt they order every day either. I thought they had fairly heavy stockpiles of metals. Their purchasing info should be available through their annual report or other public means, no? >>

When the Mint is down to say 10-15 million oz. of silver, they are having a shortage.

Edited to add this is my #3,000 post!

Later, Paul.
  • Options
    BochimanBochiman Posts: 25,298 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Edited to add this is my #3,000 post! >>

Congrats "Roosie" Paul image

I've been told I tolerate fools poorly...that may explain things if I have a problem with you. Current ebay items - Nothing at the moment

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file