Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

George Shuba - RIP

George "Shotgun" Shuba, a member of the 1955 World Series champion Brooklyn Dodgers who was best known for offering a congratulatory handshake to minor league teammate Jackie Robinson, died Monday. He was 89.

The Los Angeles Dodgers said Shuba died at his home in Youngstown, Ohio. No cause of death was given.

Shuba, who was white, congratulated his teammate on the Montreal Royals near home plate after Robinson hit a three-run homer on April 18, 1946, off Jersey City Giants pitcher Warren Sandell. The moment shared by a smiling Robinson and Shuba was captured in a famous photograph and dubbed "A Handshake for the Century."

Shuba reportedly hung a copy in his living room.

RIP MR SHUBA
STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.

Comments

• Options
    Baez578Baez578 Posts: 967 ✭✭✭
    Thanks for sharing. RIP
  • Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    Here is the famous photograph, per the Cleveland Plain Dealer

• Options
    BLUEJAYWAYBLUEJAYWAY Posts: 8,036 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Such a simple gesture yet carried a world of meaning.
    Successful transactions:Tookybandit. "Everyone is equal, some are more equal than others".
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    Great picture. RIP Mr. Shuba
  • Options
    Awesome picture rip
  • Options
    Sounds like he was a great man.

Doug, do you have his auto'd 52T for your set?
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭

<< <i>Sounds like he was a great man.
    Doug, do you have his auto'd 52T for your set? >>

Unfortunately I do not Eric. I have only 8 Hi #s and he is not one of them. I never sent a card to Mr. Shuba. However, at the end of June I sent a real nice looking Hi # to Mr. George Spencer. From what I was told, he was a real good signer and a friend of the TTM community. Unfortunately he must have been too sick to sign, as I found out the other day that he passed away in early September. That's the chance you take when you send out a card to one of the old timers. May he rest in peace as well.
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    ahhh shucks! image
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle