Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

Chop Mark Trade Dollars

Is there a difference in price between accurately graded (both have nice eye appeal) chop mark Trades and non - chop mark Trade Dollars?

Thanks,

Steve

Comments

• Options
    Yes on almost every example although the date and grade play a factor. As a rule they trade back of unchopped examples and the spread gets greater as the grades rises to "UNC". There are some exceptions for dates that are rarer chopped like 78cc, 75p and 73p where they bring more money and also there are a few popular chop types that could command even money on a choice common date but the exceptions are rare.
    Here is a nice chop coin that sits in a PCGS58 chop holder, there are some more in my signature collection link below my post. PM with any specific questions about the series if you like.
  • Options
    kazkaz Posts: 9,068 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Your question is more complicated than it appears. Much depends upon who is doing the buying. In general, I think that unmarked and otherwise unmolested trade dollars will sell at a premium compared to their chopmarked brethren. (or you can say that chopped coins sell at a discount). However, among trade dollar enthusiasts there is a subgroup who specifically collects chopmarked examples. Some TD's are very rare chopmarked (1875P) whereas others are more frequently found chopped than not (1873-s). Thus a knowledgeable seller could ask more for a chopmarked TD in some instances. Personally, I would prefer a chopmarked coin with original surfaces over a dipped out cleaned unchopped specimen any day. The chops add character (this coin has been places!) and point to the interesting historical context of the series. I am sure that DDR, Crypto79, TDN and others can post a more specific answer to your question.
    For type collectors, an attractively toned Trade Dollar in xf-au and a chopped example with nice patina are a great combination.

Ha! I was typing away while Crypto79 was posting.
  • Options
    Kaz brings up some good points such as there is a large active market for xf-AU type coins and the spreads are smaller vs comparable non-chopped. Also the look of the chops, placement and the amount of reciprocal damage all play into the value. Clear Chinese symbols with minimal damage on collector grade coins with original skin typical find quick homes at solid levels esp is in PCGS plastic or combine with popular dates or mint marks like Carson city.
  • Options
    rickoricko Posts: 98,724 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I like chopped Trade Dollars....they can be quite interesting. Rose's book on chop marks can be helpful as well...Cheers, RickO
  • Options
    splitacessplitaces Posts: 73 ✭✭✭
    Thank you for your informative replies!!!

Steve
  • Options
    DDRDDR Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Prices for chop marked Trade dollars are all over the place. Each coin is unique and prices reflect that.

In general, the S mint Trade dollars sell at a discount with chops, sometimes a substantial discount for the common ones such as the 74-S, 75-S, 76-S and 77-S. This is less true for the 73-S and 78-S.

P mint Trades often sell at a premium with a chop: the 75-P especially, but also the 73-P; sometimes, but not always also the 74, 76 and 77.

Carson City chop marked Trades sell at a slight discount, except the 78-CC, which will sell at a premium.

It also depends on the type of chop and how many are on the coin. Unique or interesting chops add value while a heavily chop marked coin will usually be discounted.

Again, each coin is unique and there are exceptions to all of the above. That's what makes it such an interesting series to collect!
  • Options
    AMRCAMRC Posts: 4,266 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sometimes yes, sometimes no. No absolutes.
    MLAeBayNumismatics: "The greatest hobby in the world!"

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file