Home Precious Metals
Options

Nasty craigs people

tneigtneig Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭
I know I should never respond to this but sometimes I just get frustrated and give it back with a little slander.

Selling lots of things on craigs I get a lot of no shows or non-serious buyers. But never seen the spew like from PM item responders. Like now with the drop, a few silver dollars posted and I'm getting nasty grief that they are too high. Couple of other specialty items matching or less the price than Apmex or ebay and I get nasty responses. Nobody writes me back to say a hot wheels is listed too high, or a table, or antique. But a PM seems to draw the flakes out into bothering to write. I guess its probably not good that I tell them to get a life.
COA

Comments

• Options
    BAJJERFANBAJJERFAN Posts: 30,987 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I know I should never respond to this but sometimes I just get frustrated and give it back with a little slander.

Selling lots of things on craigs I get a lot of no shows or non-serious buyers. But never seen the spew like from PM item responders. Like now with the drop, a few silver dollars posted and I'm getting nasty grief that they are too high. Couple of other specialty items matching or less the price than Apmex or ebay and I get nasty responses. Nobody writes me back to say a hot wheels is listed too high, or a table, or antique. But a PM seems to draw the flakes out into bothering to write. I guess its probably not good that I tell them to get a life. >>

How much are you asking on CL?
  • Options
    OPAOPA Posts: 17,104 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Wow..selling bullion on CL? "Your a better man than I am."

btw, what are you asking for your ASE's? It's possible they have a valid reason to be -issed of. CL is not eBay, with non of the safety features, but all of the headaches.
    "Bongo drive 1984 Lincoln that looks like old coin dug from ground."
  • Options
    As an example on an ad I have:
    4 - S and D 192/23 F-VF Peace dollars, w one a little toned. Nothing special indeed. Marked down from the prices on the flip to $99 and I'd negotiate.
    Now silver dropped a few points and someone could say, they are making an adjusted offer.

Someone said $40 and I didn't bother to respond. Someone else was real nasty and said it was too much, so I would even negotiate w nasty anyway. Do they think that nasty or harassing would get the sale at a lower price. I think they are just in need of a purpose.

One doesn't have to look very far on craigs to see 'good' silver dollars listed for $40 or $50, when you know its someone likely just selling one thinking silver is more valuable. But I sure as heck don't harass them. I just don't buy. And you know, if someone had something that was a bit of a key date and something they were missing in a set, paying a bit extra just to get the one you want is not bad in my mind. There is a different audience for each level.
    COA
  • Options
    TwoSides2aCoinTwoSides2aCoin Posts: 43,842 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Proof that rude people aren't just limited to ebay , here , town halls , or churches. You should see Facebook and Twitter. And it could be any subject , even as simple as the weather. People get really nasty with their opinions nowadays.

Its called POLARIZATION. I think it's caused by politicians but I don't want to get political or point fingers. I would just say : "Thanks, have a nice day".
  • Options
    Keeping the ASEs and nice stuff that fits in w my goals and selling off the odd stuff to exch for gold. But I don't see anyone having a right to be issed off. Just buy something else, right? I don't see a valid reason for harassing someone.

On craigs I only sell one or couple here and there to make acquaintances. I never do a lot and take a long time to get to know someone before offering more off line.

<< <i>Wow..selling bullion on CL? "Your a better man than I am."

btw, what are you asking for your ASE's? It's possible they have a valid reason to be -issed of. CL is not eBay, with non of the safety features, but all of the headaches. >>

COA
  • Options
    "Junk Silver Dollars," with a melt value of approx. $13.70 each + a premium for numismatic value. I no longer deal in Peace $, as such, I have no idea what that premium would be.
  • Options
    Like this one for another example: the 5 or 1/2 oz are the same price.
    link

PS
    OPA. Sort of what I mean. What the numismatic premium is what that person will pay. Couldn't find a Peace under $23 on Apmex (discounting culls). When there are few around or something they like or need, it could be higher.

If it was the numismatic premium on a real nice Morgan it could be high. Or it could be low. But who's to say this what this flexible premium standard is. I've been surprised that it has held pretty strong on nice Morgans all through the silver drop. So when I get grief for the asking price, and they quote spot, then I think they are not fully aware of the market. Even "good" grade Morgans have the premium on ebay (discounting the selling exp added).
    COA
  • Options
    Just ignore the ones that need ignoring. If it's priced competitively, it will sell. Good luck with your CL adventure. Personally, I would have tried the BST or PM forums monthly buy sell thread first.
  • Options
    vprvpr Posts: 604 ✭✭✭
    I see ridiculous pricing all the time. I've barely buy any bullion off CL. However, I don't feel the need to waste my time schooling sellers on what stuff is worth. They will get frustrated when their stuff doesn't sell and when they get desperate for money, they'll take it in to a pawn shop and get ripped off completely. Serves them right.

Currently seeing ASE rolls for $500 and generic junk for $20+ per oz. Yeah, sure I'll pay that instead of buying straight from dealers for much less. Usually, the ads read something like "Paid $24 per oz only 4 months ago. Get a great deal at only $21 per oz". I doubt anyone falls for this, because these ads are renewed over and over again. A smart person first realizes that speculation means that you can lose money and knows when to cut his or her losses.

BTW, $25 per junk peace dollar would not get a reply from me, even if the ad specifically says "negotiable". That's not even close enough to try to come to an agreement. It would be a waste of my time emailing back and forth and then also likely "offend" the seller with my "lowball" offer of $16 per coin (which is fair value). So, unless we are very close, I don't even bother.

I sold ASEs for $1.50 over spot when silver was $30. They went fairly quickly (sold with no haggling). It was a fair price. I did better than I could have done selling to a dealer and the buyer did better than buying from one.

I'm not too concerned about selling. The next time I will be selling meaningful quantities is when silver gets significantly higher than $50 and gold > $2500. I will sell when everyone wants to buy. Not when prices are falling and the bargain hunters are out looking to get great deals. I will sell when people are convinced prices are going much higher and when they'd be willing to pay a decent premium to get in and ride the wave.
    References: Too many to list. PM for details. 100% satisfaction both as buyer and seller. As a seller, I ship promptly and keep buyers updated.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A smart person first realizes that speculation means that you can lose money and knows when to cut his or her losses.

BTW, $25 per junk peace dollar would not get a reply from me, even if the ad specifically says "negotiable". That's not even close enough to try to come to an agreement. It would be a waste of my time emailing back and forth and then also likely "offend" the seller with my "lowball" offer of $16 per coin (which is fair value). So, unless we are very close, I don't even bother.

I will sell when everyone wants to buy. Not when prices are falling and the bargain hunters are out looking to get great deals. I will sell when people are convinced prices are going much higher and when they'd be willing to pay a decent premium to get in and ride the wave.

Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    bronco2078bronco2078 Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭✭✭

Whats even stranger is since I'm usually selling truck parts like engines and transmissions on craigslist is that the person actually NEEDS the item.

I have a late 1970's Ford 400 V8 engine that I was running on craigslist for $1000 . It's not something in high demand but its rebuilt and well worth the asking price in that condition to a certain type of buyer. I get an email saying "the engine in my F350 blew up and I need it to pull my trailer. I have $500 in CASH I can come today , you're an idiot if you think that POS is worth more than that. "

Since when has insulting anyone you needed something from ever led to a positive result? If you need a truck for your business then every day it doesn't run costs you money.

If he really only has $500 but he needs the engine then why not state that in a nice way and say I'll drop off 2 cords of wood or plow your driveway or rip out a few stumps for you etc etc etc. Maybe I'd go for it maybe I wouldn't but nothing ventured nothing gained .

Identifying you need an item and then calling me an idiot will almost guarantee I refuse to deal with you, delay the sale for a week just to cause you hardship , or raise the price to you and you alone . Any of those things will cost you the $500 you thought you were going to save .

Negotiation is a fine art that many are unskilled at these days.

Angry respondents are fun to screw with if you are bored. If you are not that bored then just ignore them.

• Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Whats even stranger is since I'm usually selling truck parts like engines and transmissions on craigslist is that the person actually NEEDS the item.

I have a late 1970's Ford 400 V8 engine that I was running on craigslist for $1000 . It's not something in high demand but its rebuilt and well worth the asking price in that condition to a certain type of buyer. I get an email saying "the engine in my F350 blew up and I need it to pull my trailer. I have $500 in CASH I can come today , you're an idiot if you think that POS is worth more than that. "

Since when has insulting anyone you needed something from ever led to a positive result? If you need a truck for your business then every day it doesn't run costs you money.

If he really only has $500 but he needs the engine then why not state that in a nice way and say I'll drop off 2 cords of wood or plow your driveway or rip out a few stumps for you etc etc etc. Maybe I'd go for it maybe I wouldn't but nothing ventured nothing gained .

Identifying you need an item and then calling me an idiot will almost guarantee I refuse to deal with you, delay the sale for a week just to cause you hardship , or raise the price to you and you alone . Any of those things will cost you the $500 you thought you were going to save .

Negotiation is a fine art that many are unskilled at these days.

Angry respondents are fun to screw with if you are bored. If you are not that bored then just ignore them. >>

Great post, the something for nothing people who get mad even though you are the cheapest by far on Craigslist. It the lack of people skills that ALWAYS surprises me.
  • Options
    jmski52jmski52 Posts: 22,373 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Great post, the something for nothing people who get mad even though you are the cheapest by far on Craigslist. It the lack of people skills that ALWAYS surprises me.

A lack of people skills might be part of it, but I suspect that the entitlement mentality - that they are entitled to YOUR stuff more than YOU are entitled to it - might be the main problem, and that is a problem I see getting worse before it gets better, courtesy of our dear government's handout policies.

I think that it's time to be prepared, and to be vigilant.
    Q: Are You Printing Money? Bernanke: Not Literally

I knew it would happen.
  • Options
    USASoccerUSASoccer Posts: 445 ✭✭✭
    Its funny, after I posted this I had a potential bidder on eBay tell me I was a bad seller because I did not include a SD card with a digital camera I was selling; even though it stated that in the auction.
  • Options
    I was at the flea markets this weekend and generic 1oz'rs were $20.75 and 10oz were $207.
    Found no reason to comment to the sellers because in that world, that is the price. Compare to places like gov.mint or Franklin mint
    or even TV plated gold ripoffs, there are a lot of audiences out there.

Lots of good responses in this thread. Thanks much!
    COA
  • Options
    MsMorrisineMsMorrisine Posts: 32,203 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>...I can can come today ... that POS ... >>

top negotiating skills

Still laughing

Current maintainer of Stone's Master List of Favorite Websites // My BST transactions
  • Options
    PerryHallPerryHall Posts: 45,421 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Found no reason to comment to the sellers because in that world, that is the price. >>

I understand what you are saying and feel the same way. I see common bars on the BST that can be bought new from the manufacturer or one of the major bullion dealers for the same or less money. I don't say anything---I just move on.

Worry is the interest you pay on a debt you may not owe.

• Options
    BaleyBaley Posts: 22,658 ✭✭✭✭✭
    dealing with the public can be challenging, my hat is off to those who choose to do it.

Liberty: Parent of Science & Industry

• Options

<< <i>

<< <i>Found no reason to comment to the sellers because in that world, that is the price. >>

I understand what you are saying and feel the same way. I see common bars on the BST that can be bought new from the manufacturer or one of the major bullion dealers for the same or less money. I don't say anything---I just move on. >>

• Options
    rawteam1rawteam1 Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭
    U got somethin in yer eye OPA???... Lol ...
    keceph `anah