Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Lucite Holder Question

Approximately thirty years ago, I acquired a very nice Mike Schmidt rookie card. A few years after my acquisition, I went on a "Lucite Holder Binge" and started inserting some of my more valuable cards into these 1" holders. A few years after that, I attempted to remove one of the cards from it's holder, and some of the printing ink stayed behind! I'm pretty sure that I know the answers/comments I'm going to get from my fellow forum members, but I'm still going to ask...was I "stupid" (aka: "inexperienced") to be doing this in the first place? Should I have put the card inside a card sleeve first? Is there any way to safely remove a card from a lucite holder after such a long time? Thanks in-advance for your responses.

Comments

• Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    That is a gorgeous Schmidt. Yes, it was a mistake to do this, but who didn't think these holders were cool back in the day? The key question, and one I cannot answer, is how to safely remove the card. I hope someone here can provide some guidance. Maybe some humidity from a steamer or similar would be helpful. I hope you get a helpful answer.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    mrmint23mrmint23 Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭
    Haven't don it but I've. heard to put it in the freezer for a few hours before opening.
  • Options
    PiggsPiggs Posts: 1,934 ✭✭✭✭
    I wouldn't beat yourself up, almost everyone back in the day put cards in those holders. How about slowly loosening the screws day by day, try the freezer method and see what happens. Bottom line: You have to get it out of there eventually good or bad. Good luck. Doug
  • Options
    CubbyCubby Posts: 2,096
    Put it in the freezer...and pray....

BTW: Cubby=Cub Fan
  • Options
    Tried the freezer suggestion...and it worked! image
  • Options
    DboneesqDboneesq Posts: 18,220 ✭✭
    Just saw this thread. Yup, the freezer usually works ... also works when you have a piece of gum stuck to a card.

So happy for you, as that is a BEAUTIFUL card. Are you sending it in for grading?
    STAY HEALTHY!

Doug

Liquidating my collection for the 3rd and final time. Time for others to enjoy what I have enjoyed over the last several decades. Money could be put to better use.
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I wish I had know about the freezer idea. It would have saved my 1989 Score Barry Sanders card. At least next time I'll know.
  • Options
    Wow, that is a beautiful Schmidt. That looks like 9 material from these eyes.
    Baseball and Football Card Set Builder
    Vintage-Modern
  • Options
    otwcardsotwcards Posts: 5,291 ✭✭✭
    The one thing that the freezer won't help with is the "ice blocking" that happens on the corners. The pressure of the holder will cause the corners to compress and the surface to glaze. I've seen far too many Montana, Jordan, Henderson and Ripken cards from the era spared the paper and ink loss of the Lucite entombment only to have the "ice blocking" rejected by PSA as Altered...
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I'm glad you were able to safely remove the card. I heard a horror story about someone who had a Yaz RC in one of those holders for years. When they tried to remove it, the front half stuck to one piece of plastic and the other side stuck to the other.
  • Options

<< <i>The one thing that the freezer won't help with is the "ice blocking" that happens on the corners. The pressure of the holder will cause the corners to compress and the surface to glaze. I've seen far too many Montana, Jordan, Henderson and Ripken cards from the era spared the paper and ink loss of the Lucite entombment only to have the "ice blocking" rejected by PSA as Altered... >>

That is what makes me cringe every single time I see a thick Lucite with a nice vintage card in it. I know an older gentleman that has one of the nicest Clemente rookies I have ever laid my eyes on that was in a thick Lucite. When he removed it several years back(after I suggested he get it out of that dangerous holder), the surface around the corners had that glossy look. It wasn't my card and it was still sickening to see.