Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Best Use of Color in A Vintage Set?

I'm only familiar with Baseball, but I'd have to say 1959 baseball. All the different background colors are very striking. It's well before my time, but I still get the urge to collect this set every time I see nice examples.

Comments

• Options
    It's no surprise, but I am partial to 1961 Parkhurst hockey.
  • Options
    MikeyPMikeyP Posts: 990 ✭✭✭
    I have always liked the colors that were used in the 1988 Topps Baseball set. Very vibrant.
    "Nobody's ever gone the distance with Creed, and if I can go that distance, you see, and that bell rings and I'm still standin', I'm gonna know for the first time in my life, see, that I weren't just another bum from the neighborhood."
  • Options
    1953 Bowman Color
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    75 Topps of course!! Some great use of color combos in this set!!
  • Options
    dontippetdontippet Posts: 2,586 ✭✭✭✭
    I've always thought that the 1954-55 Topps Hockey design was ahead of it's time. I remember the first time I saw these cards, I couldn't believe they were fom the 50's.
    > [Click on this link to see my ebay listings.](https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=&_in_kw=1&_ex_kw=&_sacat=0&_udlo=&_udhi=&_ftrt=901&_ftrv=1&_sabdlo=&_sabdhi=&_samilow=&_samihi=&_sadis=15&_stpos=61611&_sargn=-1&saslc=1&_salic=1&_fss=1&_fsradio=&LH_SpecificSeller=1&_saslop=1&_sasl=mygirlsthree3&_sop=12&_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_fosrp=1)
    >

Successful transactions on the BST boards with rtimmer, coincoins, gerard, tincup, tjm965, MMR, mission16, dirtygoldman, AUandAG, deadmunny, thedutymon, leadoff4, Kid4HOF03, BRI2327, colebear, mcholke, rpcolettrane, rockdjrw, publius, quik, kalinefan, Allen, JackWESQ, CON40, Griffeyfan2430, blue227, Tiggs2012, ndleo, CDsNuts, ve3rules, doh, MurphDawg, tennessebanker, and gene1978.
  • Options
    mikliamiklia Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I've always thought that the 1954-55 Topps Hockey design was ahead of it's time. I remember the first time I saw these cards, I couldn't believe they were fom the 50's. >>

+1. Absolutely love those cards.
  • Options
    gemintgemint Posts: 6,069 ✭✭✭✭✭
    1953 Bowman Color. Also like the 1959 pastel photo frames.
  • Options
    1969 topps football series one.

My new website www.lowgradegems.com

Tim
  • Options
    GriffinsGriffins Posts: 6,076 ✭✭✭
    Post war '53 Bowman
    Pre War '34-36 Diamond Stars
    19th Century N162 Goodwin Champs

Overall winner- N162 Goodwin Champs (image for reference, not my cards)

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    DialjDialj Posts: 1,636 ✭✭
    I always liked the '33 Goudey color scheme.
    "A full mind is an empty bat." Ty Cobb

Currently collecting 1934 Butterfinger, 1969 Nabisco, 1991 Topps Desert Shield (in PSA 9 or 10), and 1990 Donruss Learning Series (in PSA 10).
  • Options
    For me it's my favorite set, 53 Topps. 59 is a good choice I just have a few issues with a few of the colors. I'm not partial at all to the pinkish hue on a lot of Gibson rookies. If ever there was a color that didn't fit a player that would be it!
  • Options
    I do agree on the 54-55 hockey though. I don't own one hockey card but those are so nice looking that I have thought on more than one occasion about buying nice mid grade examples of a few.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I'm a fan of 1955 Topps baseball when it comes to color use.

Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    Great 55 sheet.
  • Options
    Not mine, unfortunately. Griffins probably has a couple! Makes me jealous.
  • Options
    Guys, these are all good choices.

My favorite is the 1954 Wilson Franks. I vaguely recall counting 15-16 different shades of color background, including plain white, in the small but powerful twenty-card set. Virtually a different color background for every card. A simple artistic stroke of genius!

In association with the book I wrote on post-war regionals, I created four fantasy 1954 Wilson Franks cards, two different poses each of Jackie Robinson and Mickey Mantle. In selecting the background colors, part of my goal was to find colors that would perfectly complement the originals. I came up with a dazzling purplish-pink and light blue for Jack, while Mick got a deep red-violet and peach. I love them as much as the originals. So much of our hobby is fantasizing over the era and favorite players and this project just fit perfectly with the book and my love for Wilsons and regional cards. Great use of color!

Also, the T-206s are composed of a huge variety of color backgrounds that truly enhance their visual beauty.

--Indiana Jones (Brian Powell)
  • Options

<< <i>Not mine, unfortunately. Griffins probably has a couple! Makes me jealous. >>

I only have one! Good use of color on this set as well though.

Always looking for Topps Salesman Samples, pre '51 unopened packs, E90-2, E91a, N690 Kalamazoo Bats, and T204 Square Frame Ramly's

• Options
    For me it is the 53s. Topps and bowman color. Just beautiful beautiful cards that are obviously different. The paintings that are the topps and the color photos that are the Bowmans.
    If I ever get ready to really start buying again (when I have some disposable income) I'm going to try and build both these sets.
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I choose the T206 set.

These are chromolithographic cards. My understanding is that they used more than the 3 primary colors and black to make them.

Like Anthony's choice - the Goodwin Champions - these are done with incredible coloring.

Mike
  • Options
    heritageheritage Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭
    Some fantastic cards to choose from but the 55 topps set does it for me.
  • Options
    TabeTabe Posts: 5,927 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The correct answer is T3:

• Options
    Those Goodwins are beautiful and I have never seen one of them before.
    The T3's are stunningly beautiful as well!
  • Options
    Nathaniel1960Nathaniel1960 Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>75 Topps of course!! Some great use of color combos in this set!! >>

75 OPC is even better.
    Kiss me once, shame on you.
    Kiss me twice.....let's party.
  • Options
    I like the 55 topps
    And the 53 bowman
  • Options
    Stone193Stone193 Posts: 24,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Geez Chris - I should've given T3s more thought. That's one beauty of a card you have!

I agree, they're incredible.

Here's a favorite of mine - HOF'er Chief Bender.

So, that's 2 for T3s.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>

75 OPC is even better. >>

I've got a full '71 Topps sheet and a full '71 OPC sheet, and the OPC has much much richer color. '75 the same way? I thought mine was just a mistake but perhaps they had better pressman in Canada.

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

75 OPC is even better. >>

I've got a full '71 Topps sheet and a full '71 OPC sheet, and the OPC has much much richer color. '75 the same way? I thought mine was just a mistake but perhaps they had better pressman in Canada. >>

... and much worse cutters.
  • Options

<< <i> I've got a full '71 Topps sheet and a full '71 OPC sheet >>

That's awesomeness.
  • Options
    RookieWaxRookieWax Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭
    Flip through a 1971 or 1974 Topps basketball set in a binder. The color combos just amaze!
  • Options

<< <i>Flip through a 1971 or 1974 Topps basketball set in a binder. The color combos just amaze! >>

Great choices. I would add 72 as well. Talk about perfect designs for that era.
  • Options
    goraidersgoraiders Posts: 2,158 ✭✭✭

Surprised no love for 48 leaf,my favorite hands down.
    J.R.
    Needs'
    1972 Football-9's high#'s
    1965 Football-8's
    1958 Topps FB-7-8