Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

Will I find a better PSA 10 of this card?

A friend of mine is offering to sell this card to me.

I am a perfectionist and want to purchase this card as close to perfect as possible.

On the sides just below the blue stripe at the top the centering looks a little off.

For me most important is the centering. I am not extremely concerned with clarity of the picture.

Comments

• Options
    ask for a better scan
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Which blue stripe?? image
  • Options
    JWBlueJWBlue Posts: 489 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Which blue stripe?? image >>

Top blue stripe.
  • Options
    StingrayStingray Posts: 8,843 ✭✭✭
    Might just be me or the lighting in the picture, but I do not like all the little frosting on the edge of the holder. Especially, the one the bottom right of the label.
  • Options

<< <i>Might just be me or the lighting in the picture, but I do not like all the little frosting on the edge of the holder. Especially, the one the bottom right of the label. >>

I am not familiar with what the frosting looks like. Is there a significant amount?

• Options
    WhiteTornadoWhiteTornado Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭
    It's really hard to make a determination without a clearer scan.

I may be wrong, but I think frosting could indicate the holder was tampered with. Others may correct me on that.

(edited for spelling)
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I need a clearer pic myself
  • Options
    ClockworkAngelClockworkAngel Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭
    Will you find a better one? There's always a better one. It depends on how much you can tolerate. This is a nice card and a worthy 10. You can drive yourself nuts looking for the "best one in existence". Trust me I've been there

Technically, you could find one with 50/50 centering L/R if you keep looking. This one is close but looks to be about 55/45
    The Clockwork Angel Collection...brought to you by Bank of America, Wells Fargo, and Chase
    TheClockworkAngelCollection
  • Options

<< <i>Will you find a better one? There's always a better one. It depends on how much you can tolerate. This is a nice card and a worthy 10. You can drive yourself nuts looking for the "best one in existence". Trust me I've been there

Technically, you could find one with 50/50 centering L/R if you keep looking. This one is close but looks to be about 55/45 >>

Does PSA include a report with the grading numbers? Is that available anywhere?
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    Yes. Here: PSA Population Report

More specifically: 1984 Fleer Update Clemens Pop Report

There are 306 PSA 10s.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Will you find a better one? There's always a better one. It depends on how much you can tolerate. This is a nice card and a worthy 10. You can drive yourself nuts looking for the "best one in existence". Trust me I've been there

Technically, you could find one with 50/50 centering L/R if you keep looking. This one is close but looks to be about 55/45 >>

Does PSA include a report with the grading numbers? Is that available anywhere? >>

Do you mean sub-grades (for centering, corners, etc.)? PSA doesn't do that.
  • Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If the PSA case really is okay, you'll have a hard time finding a better 10 IMO after giving it a better look. You'll end up chasing ghosts if not careful, seeking out "perfect 10's". My 2 cents.
  • Options
    I really appreciate the input. This card will be one of the most expensive I buy.

As for frosting, there does seem to be evidence of it.

However, I look at listings on ebay for other PSA cards and most of them around the edges looks like this one. image
  • Options
    if the seller is a friend of yours, ask him about the frosting
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    olb31olb31 Posts: 2,946 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The "frosting' in my opinion is the area right above the top right corner of the card and right below the serial number. That is the place where i generally try to crack open slabs for resubmitting.
    Work hard and you will succeed!!