Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

BBCE just unearthed some fasciliciousness

Comments

• Options
    itzagoneritzagoner Posts: 8,753 ✭✭
    wow. just threw up in my mouth a little. recalling a receipt from a late 90's Ron Oser auction with a grand total of just over 3K delivered for '76 Topps Baseball vending boxes.

NINE. OF. THEM.

• Options
    cincyredlegscincyredlegs Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭
    Only 4 left.......WOW!!!!!
    Project:

T206 Set - 300/524
  • Options
    Not Horrible!
    Big Fan of: HOF Post War RC, Graded RCs
    WTB: PSA 1 - PSA 3 Centered, High Eye Appeal 1950's Mantle
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    How much of a premium would be paid for the boxes from the center of a sealed case if there was a designation marking it as such?
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if they make it through tomorrow. I doubt the 1977 wax box does.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    baz518baz518 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭✭
    Anybody see what 60s packs were available... looked like 4 or 5 sold fairly quick?
  • Options
    grote15grote15 Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭✭
    $90 a pack now for 77 wax! Wow!

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options

<< <i>$90 a pack now for 77 wax! Wow! >>

Thought the same thing. Guess I'll never have that box... being my birth year, I like to start my box runs with 77. Was going to slowly build one from BBCE packs, but just can't convince myself that they're worth that kind of money. Not that set.

• Options
    1all1all Posts: 507 ✭✭✭

<< <i>$90 a pack now for 77 wax! Wow! >>

lol, yea, no kidding Tim. I guess the days of the group break are gone. BBCE has boxes of all sorts from 77-85 in stock but people have a hard time paying these kinds of prices (me included). It was definitely fun while it lasted.

Doug (1all)
  • Options
    FINESTKINDFINESTKIND Posts: 374 ✭✭✭
    I'm glad I was able to get a 1976 vending box around 1995.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if they make it through tomorrow. I doubt the 1977 wax box does. >>

And... it's sold.

I am tempted by the 1976 vending, but I've never collected vending before. Would be a pricey addition and start a very expensive pursuit of 1970s vending boxes.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭
    It's pretty hard for me to buy vending for "collecting" purposes. There is nothing really distinctive about a vending box that allows you to differentiate one year from another. Contrast that to wax boxes, where every year has a different design.

When I buy vending, I do so for opening purposes. On that basis we're looking at about $6/card for 1976 BB at current box price. Have to compare that versus what PSA 8s and 9s might go for and weigh that against the vending costs, taking into consideration that there is no way to know what the centering of the vending box might be.

Of course, one could always dream of pulling a PSA 9/10 quality Brett 2nd year and then submit it and actually get it slabbed at that level.

Given that, I think I'll be sticking with wax and racks now that vending has appreciated so much.

Dave
  • Options
    70ToppsFanatic70ToppsFanatic Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I wonder if they make it through tomorrow. I doubt the 1977 wax box does. >>

And... it's sold.

I am tempted by the 1976 vending, but I've never collected vending before. Would be a pricey addition and start a very expensive pursuit of 1970s vending boxes. >>

Fritsch is loaded with 1971 vending from the first 4 series (and many other years from the 1970s too) but it is so high priced it rarely gets purchased, even when put up for auction due to high reserves.

If I recall someone bought one of the 191 vending boxes at CollectAuctions a ways back, and then offered it on B/S/T here 18-24 months later but could not find any takers.

Difficult items to sell once the prices get north of $1000

Dave
  • Options
    KendallCatKendallCat Posts: 2,978 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The problem with vending based on experience is that while the cards are crisp and nice the centering is all over the place. Have bought 74-77 in the past, and even if you get a Brett, Ryan, Schmidt, Rose... you have a better than 50% chance they are 90/10. Having said that it is always fun to open stuff and get the thrill of waiting to see what you get. That is pack ripping in a nutshell.
  • Options
    There is no difference between vending and wax and rack and grocery or anything else in relation to quality. How many of the other than vending do you hear OMG all were centered ?
  • Options
    I've busted my fair share of vending and my experience is that vending is more consistent throughout. If the first 50 cards are OC, the whole box tended to be OC. But wax and rack seem to have a better chance of correcting itself. Just my experience, no logic or theory behind it.
  • Options
    I agree with Baz. Vending can be great but if first stack of cards aren't then chances are the rest won't be either.

Also with vending, unless the boxes are from sealed case and not from corner of case, the chances of mint cards diminishes dramatically.

Vending does provide nice bang for the buck.

Collecting 1970s Topps baseball wax, rack and cello packs, as well as PCGS graded Half Cents, Large Cents, Two Cent pieces and Three Cent Silver pieces.
  • Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Vending does provide nice bang for the buck. >>

Rippers delight...
  • Options
    NikklosNikklos Posts: 1,411 ✭✭✭
    Was thinking about 1976 vending but it's a prohibitively pricy rip. If you rule out pulling a 10 (which is a good mindset to have when ripping vintage), you have to consider the value of 9s. I checked Completed sales for PSA 9s. And it's depressing.

I think you'd be lucky to recoup $300 on the box. And that is IF the cards are halfway decent.
    Nikklos
  • Options
    BaltimoreYankeeBaltimoreYankee Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I wonder if Renata Galasso still has some boxes for $5 left.
    Daniel
  • Options
    PaulMaulPaulMaul Posts: 4,713 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I wonder if Renata Galasso still has some boxes for $5 left. >>

• Options
    Did that lady put on green makeup and wear a large black hat and friend around with flying monkeys in a movie ?
  • Options
    Still do not understand why anyone would take a major "gamble" and spend almost $3,000 on a box containing possibly damaged paper? You are still better just to put that $3,000 in a PSA graded card! I never spend a dime on unopen wax as I always end up opening it and then getting pissed as most or all of the cards are damaged! Its just not worth it .....
  • Options
    bigdcardsbigdcards Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭

<< <i>Still do not understand >>

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted.
    To bigdcards: "you are right" - cpamike "That is correct" -grote15
  • Options
    PSASAPPSASAP Posts: 2,284 ✭✭✭
    I wonder if Renata Galasso still has some boxes for $5 left.

Wow, one card in 2014 will cost you more than an entire box in 1976. That's a return of more than 50,000%!!!
  • Options
    ReggieClevelandReggieCleveland Posts: 3,854 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Still do not understand >>

Thanks for the update. Please keep us posted. >>

LOL
  • Options
    These boxes are a very bad investment! But hey if you bring in $300,000 or more a year what the heck? It's only $3,000 right? Lol
  • Options
    Every time someone on these boards talks about small pieces of cardboard that depict sports figures as "investment", God kills a kitten.
  • Options

<< <i>These boxes are a very bad investment! But hey if you bring in $300,000 or more a year what the heck? It's only $3,000 right? Lol >>

Assolutely--I can get at least a couple limited edition Russell Wilson auto cards for that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!