Home U.S. Coin Forum
Options

2009 Jefferson Nickels.

keetskeets Posts: 25,351 ✭✭✭✭✭
Has anyone had difficulty in locating 2009 Jefferson Nickels?? It may seem odd but several collectors have asked for them recently and no one seems to have rolls in stock so I did a quick look in the RedBook to see how many were struck. From Philadelphia and Denver respectfully the numbers are 39.8 and 46.8 million, somewhere between 10-15% of what came from each Mint before and after 2009. I suppose it had to do with the 2009 Lincoln Cents and other items coming out that year(also, no 2009 Proof ASE).

Any thoughts on the low numbers?? Anyone else see none of these around or have difficulty in finding them??

Al H.

Comments

• Options
    mingotmingot Posts: 1,805 ✭✭✭
    have not done circs in a while but for some reason 2008 and 2009 are sticking out as "tough".
  • Options
    TiborTibor Posts: 3,260 ✭✭✭✭✭
    The economy was still pretty much down at the time. As a result
    fewer coins needed. The dime at the time also had low mintages.
    I read somewhere that many of each (nickels and dimes) were sent
    to Puerto Rico for use there.
  • Options
    baddogssbaddogss Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭✭
    I think that a lot of them ended up in Puerto Rico for some reason.

A friend and I were buying rolls back then and had to get them off of eBay.
    Same guy had them time after time. They came from PR, probably a U.S. military base exchange.

I still have them and will sit on them for a while longer. They do bring a premium now.
    Very hard to find unc. rolls of those 2009 nickels.
    Thank you PCGS for the Forums! ANA # 3150931 - Successful BST with: Bah1513, ckeusa, coin22lover, coinsarefun, DCW, guitarwes, SLQ, Sunshine Rare Coin, tmot99, Tdec1000, dmarks, Flatwoods, Wondercoin, Yorkshireman
    Sugar magnolia blossoms blooming, heads all empty and I don't care ...
  • Options
    ModCrewmanModCrewman Posts: 4,027 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I was roll searching nickels in late 2009 and all of 2010 before I graduated to somewhat more sophisticated numismatic pursuits, and kept record of the coins I searched...I went through over 105,000 coins from bank boxes and maybe found 3-4 2009 nickels.

They are simply not out there in any mass numbers...and I believe were heavily hoarded at the time.

Edit: As I recall without looking it's the lowest mintage of any Jefferson since the 1950-D.
  • Options
    dbldie55dbldie55 Posts: 7,719 ✭✭✭✭✭
    They were hard to get in 2009. I should pay attention just to see if I see any in loose change now.
    Collector and Researcher of Liberty Head Nickels. ANA LM-6053
  • Options
    I had a brick of 2008 & 2009 P&D's no one wanted them so I turned them into the bank I still may have a few rolls around. Remember that coin star machines at this time were feeding back a lot of coin jar and piggy banks coins back to the FRB . That said there was no need to supply new coinage to. The public. The general public were finding some cash flow in jars around the house.
    That's why I wandered and follow La vie Desante
  • Options
    I know where you can find some rare variety nickels if interested. How about an 1971 s no s in proof 67 deep cam only nine better.
  • Options
    19Lyds19Lyds Posts: 26,475 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone had difficulty in locating 2009 Jefferson Nickels?? It may seem odd but several collectors have asked for them recently and no one seems to have rolls in stock so I did a quick look in the RedBook to see how many were struck. From Philadelphia and Denver respectfully the numbers are 39.8 and 46.8 million, somewhere between 10-15% of what came from each Mint before and after 2009. I suppose it had to do with the 2009 Lincoln Cents and other items coming out that year(also, no 2009 Proof ASE).

Any thoughts on the low numbers?? Anyone else see none of these around or have difficulty in finding them??

Al H. >>

If I recall correctly, these are all in Puerto Rico which was the primary source of OBW coins.
    I decided to change calling the bathroom the John and renamed it the Jim. I feel so much better saying I went to the Jim this morning.

The name is LEE!
  • Options
    bad Paddy, spamming my thread in the US Coin Forum might get you a ride in the Paddy-wagon to the hoos-gow.
  • Options

<< <i>bad Paddy, spamming my thread in the US Coin Forum might get you a ride in the Paddy-wagon to the hoos-gow. >>

Wouldn't be the First time. ..... image
  • Options
    Type2Type2 Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭✭
    image It looks the same for this year as well in 08 i put back 6 box's and made 3-MS66FS from Denver, In 09 it was tuff but was able to put back 3 box's of ea "P" / "D" with 1- MS66FS from Denver all the rest are MS65FS But it looks like this year will be the same Tuff. image

Hoard the keys.
  • Options
    coolestcoolest Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭
    When the mint started issuing the satan finish coins in the mint sets I stared colecting rolls of regular issue coins! The rolls of 2009-P nickels were selling for about $30 a roll right out of the gate. I figured they would come down to somthing resonable but I dont think they ever did. The 08-P,Ds were easily available as were the '09-D, but the 09-P were never available, and I could never get an explanation.
  • Options
    I collect from circulation (remember that?) and have a complete set of Jeffersons EXCEPT for the 2009-P and 2009-D. I always check my change and have never seen either.

Same with the 2009-D dime and some of the 09 cents.

(I started in the 60s so have completed sets of Washies, Roosies, Jeffs, and Franklins from circulation with the exception of these 09s.)
  • Options
    There's usually 2009-P/D Circs on eBay and maybe monthly someone will throw up BU 2009-Ds but rarely any 2009-P BUs. I got a couple of BU 2009-P rolls from a dealer I've worked with before and he may have some more in the near future but no word on how many or when.
    “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    Hello,

For a while I was going through nickels looking for pre-1960 dates. A couple of years ago I got bank-wrapped UNC rolls of 2009-D. I thought they were rare but later when I asked at a coin show if there was any interest in them and the man behind the table said he wouldn't pay any premium for them.

I kept three rolls and spent the rest. I see circulated examples here in Dallas, TX on a reasonably regular basis. They are not common but I do see them in change.

Cheers
    I still call my accumulation my collection!
  • Options
    cladkingcladking Posts: 28,351 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I collect from circulation (remember that?) and have a complete set of Jeffersons EXCEPT for the 2009-P and 2009-D. I always check my change and have never seen either.

Same with the 2009-D dime and some of the 09 cents.

(I started in the 60s so have completed sets of Washies, Roosies, Jeffs, and Franklins from circulation with the exception of these 09s.) >>

I search rolls of dimes and have seen only four or five '09-P or D.

The Philly in my collection is only AU-58 and an unattractive coin. The Denver is Unc but not even MS-63.

It's likely BU rolls are out there but we can't be sure until the price gets high enough to draw some out. Collectors set aside the low mintages. It's the high mintages they forget to save.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    hammer1hammer1 Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭✭✭
    A member here was lucky enough to corner the market on these. He was in the service in Germany, and his father found the nickels in Puerto Rico. He was the only seller for the first couple of months. Getting over $100 a coin. Wisely not even selling rolls initially. No one knew the source, until he gave an interview to one of the numismatic publications, revealing he got them from PR. I think if he didn't give that interview, he would've been able to sell individual coins for steep prices, for many more months. Instead as a result of the article others contacted banks and other financial institutions in PR, and he now had competition. So now rolls began to sell for $300-$400, and slowly came down to where they are presently. He made money hand over fist, but it could've remained a broken slot machine for him, but for the article.

Moral of story: Don't reveal the location of your golden goose.
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>bad Paddy, spamming my thread in the US Coin Forum might get you a ride in the Paddy-wagon to the hoos-gow. >>

Wouldn't be the First time. ..... image >>

Do I smell an alt??
  • Options
    SamByrdSamByrd Posts: 3,131 ✭✭✭✭
  • Options
    ManorcourtmanManorcourtman Posts: 7,903 ✭✭✭✭

<< <i>Has anyone had difficulty in locating 2009 Jefferson Nickels?? It may seem odd but several collectors have asked for them recently and no one seems to have rolls in stock so I did a quick look in the RedBook to see how many were struck. From Philadelphia and Denver respectfully the numbers are 39.8 and 46.8 million, somewhere between 10-15% of what came from each Mint before and after 2009. I suppose it had to do with the 2009 Lincoln Cents and other items coming out that year(also, no 2009 Proof ASE).

Al H. >>

If there were 1 million people collecting these there would be enough made for each one to own about 40 each. Rare, no. Scarce, no. Overpriced, you betcha! Give it some time for these to filter out. Probably several million still in Fed vaults.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

Al H. >>

If there were 1 million people collecting these there would be enough made for each one to own about 40 each. Rare, no. Scarce, no. Overpriced, you betcha! Give it some time for these to filter out. Probably several million still in Fed vaults. >>

Like stated above, most are most likely still in federal vaults. I have trouble finding any 2009 coins in circulation. Once in while a 2009 cent or quarter shows up, but I have not found many 2009 nickels or dimes.

Bob
  • Options

<< <i>When the mint started issuing the satan finish coins in the mint sets I stared colecting rolls of regular issue coins! The rolls of 2009-P nickels were selling for about $30 a roll right out of the gate. I figured they would come down to somthing resonable but I dont think they ever did. The 08-P,Ds were easily available as were the '09-D, but the 09-P were never available, and I could never get an explanation. >>

This is what i remember too , there was a lot of hype that 2009 was going to be a low mintage with nickels and dimes , it was a lot of hype and everywhere. The nickels and dimes were crazy money on ebay and that just fed the hype. A lot of people are buried in these and some probably still think they are worth what they paid.
  • Options

<< <i>

Like stated above, most are most likely still in federal vaults. I have trouble finding any 2009 coins in circulation. Once in while a 2009 cent or quarter shows up, but I have not found many 2009 nickels or dimes.

>>

This is unlikely because the mint and Fed use FIFO accounting since November of 1972 which
    requires they turn over their coins in storage. With the vast numbers of coins in circulation there
    would be brand new coins of all dates sitting in storage somewhere. But if you look at the condi-
    tions of any specific date it will form a bell curve showing that these coins are being recirculated
    by the Fed and the general economy.

Normally it takes three years or less for all coins to cycle one time. Of course a tiny percentage
    of quarters will sit under clothes dryers or in cookie jars longer.

There were very few strong economic areas in 2009 and this is where most were released. In these
    areas and nearby the '09's are common but getting less common every day as they disperse through-
    out the country.

It's unlikely these will be able to gain and maintain a strong premium because people knew they were
    low mintage at the time so some were set aside. I wouldn't mind owning a bunch of them.

Time will tell.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    leothelyonleothelyon Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭✭✭
    From the US Mint Glossary:

Uncirculated:
    The term "uncirculated" may have three different meanings when applied to a coin.

First, it can refer to the particular manufacturing process by which a coin is made.
    Second, it can be used as a grade when referring to a coin's degree of preservation and quality of the strike.
    Or third, "uncirculated" can point to the fact that a coin has not been used in everyday commerce.

At the United States Mint, we use the term uncirculated when referring to the special coining process used to make the coin, which gives it a satin finish. Uncirculated coins are manufactured using the same process as circulating coins, but with quality enhancements such as slightly higher coining force,early strikes from dies, special cleaning after stamping, and special packaging. Uncirculated coins may vary to some degree because of blemishes, toning, or slight imperfections.

Strike:
    the process of stamping a coin blank with a design. The strength of the imprint - full, average, or weak - affects the value of rare coins.

Other than being misinformed, I don't know why anyone would want to put inferior, mushy stamped coins into their collection. hmmm

But.......To each their own..........I guess.

Leo

The more qualities observed in a coin, the more desirable that coin becomes!

My Jefferson Nickel Collection

• Options
    Rare, no. Scarce, no. Overpriced, you betcha!

OK, just for clarity and again I apologize for letting the truth get in the way --- nothing was stated or hoped to be implied that these are scarce or rare. as you can tell by the replies many others are having trouble finding them, that was the sole question I had wanted discussed. as for price, you betcha it's always controlled by demand.

carry on.
  • Options
    OverdateOverdate Posts: 6,939 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>As I recall without looking it's the lowest mintage of any Jefferson since the 1950-D. >>

Actually it's the lowest mintage since the 1959 Philly (27.2 million).

Also lower were the 1950P, 1951PDS, 1952DS, 1953S, 1954S, and 1955-58P.

For whatever reason, low-mintage nickel rolls from the 1950s often sell for less than the 2009P - even the 1951S, with a mintage of only 7.8 million.

My Adolph A. Weinman signature :)

• Options
    I have about 1200.00 in 09 dimes and 400 in nickels that I got from the bank in 09 still under my bed. Should have sold them when people were paying 80.00 plus a roll. I consider it a savings account if I ever need cash they go to the banl.
  • Options

<< <i>From the US Mint Glossary:

Uncirculated:
    The term "uncirculated" may have three different meanings when applied to a coin.

First, it can refer to the particular manufacturing process by which a coin is made.
    Second, it can be used as a grade when referring to a coin's degree of preservation and quality of the strike.
    Or third, "uncirculated" can point to the fact that a coin has not been used in everyday commerce.

At the United States Mint, we use the term uncirculated when referring to the special coining process used to make the coin, which gives it a satin finish. Uncirculated coins are manufactured using the same process as circulating coins, but with quality enhancements such as slightly higher coining force,early strikes from dies, special cleaning after stamping, and special packaging. Uncirculated coins may vary to some degree because of blemishes, toning, or slight imperfections.

Strike:
    the process of stamping a coin blank with a design. The strength of the imprint - full, average, or weak - affects the value of rare coins.

Other than being misinformed, I don't know why anyone would want to put inferior, mushy stamped coins into their collection. hmmm

Leo >>

?

Not sure I understand the connection to 2009 nickels...is this a comment on roll collecting, or collecting from circulation, or does it belong to another thread?
  • Options

<< <i>

OK, just for clarity and again I apologize for letting the truth get in the way --- nothing was stated or hoped to be implied that these are scarce or rare. as you can tell by the replies many others are having trouble finding them, that was the sole question I had wanted discussed. as for price, you betcha it's always controlled by demand.

carry on. >>

No doubt the continued premium is caused largely by demand from those areas
    where they weren't released or available. If there are enough of these coins to
    satisfy all this demand the price will probabably sink lower. Some investment de-
    mand will materialize as well probably but few people really set aside moders ex-
    cept during the year of issue.

I'd guess these will settle out with a significant premium and become objects of
    investment demand if demand for moderns ever starts ratcheting higher. They'll
    never go as high as the real scarcities though like nice '69 issues and the '82/ '83.
    Anything that would drive up the price of the '09's will drive up the others more.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options
    ms70ms70 Posts: 13,946 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>I have about 1200.00 in 09 dimes and 400 in nickels that I got from the bank in 09 still under my bed. Should have sold them when people were paying 80.00 plus a roll. I consider it a savings account if I ever need cash they go to the banl. >>

Start slabbing.

Great transactions with oih82w8, JasonGaming, Moose1913.

• Options

Uncirculated:

Strike:

Leo >>

Nothing wrong with collecting coins from circulation. But for uncirculated coins if you're looking for high grade, fully detailed examples, look no further than the mint sets starting in 2005. The early strikes, the finest coins went into the mint sets just as the glossary states. Eventually the coining pressure would be reduced to strike coins for circulation and extend the life of the working dies. Just a heads up to collectors who may not be aware.

• Options

<< <i>

Uncirculated:

Strike:

Leo >>

Nothing wrong with collecting coins from circulation. But for uncirculated coins if you're looking for high grade, fully detailed examples, look no further than the mint sets starting in 2005. The early strikes, the finest coins went into the mint sets just as the glossary states. Eventually the coining pressure would be reduced to strike coins for circulation and extend the life of the working dies. Just a heads up to collectors who may not be aware. >>

I see what you meant now, thanks for the clarification! No question you're right about that if that's what you're looking for. (Can't use bought coins in my old-school circ sets though, that's cheating! image )
  • Options
    The early strikes, the finest coins went into the mint sets just as the glossary states.

the glossary doesn't "state" that at all, at least not in what you cut/pasted.
  • Options

<< <i>The early strikes, the finest coins went into the mint sets just as the glossary states.

the glossary doesn't "state" that at all, at least not in what you cut/pasted. >>

......finer? EDS strikes on any coin are your finest coins. This was their goal and they have succeeded, image

• Options
    BoosibriBoosibri Posts: 11,874 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>When the mint started issuing the satan finish coins in the mint sets I stared colecting rolls of regular issue coins! The rolls of 2009-P nickels were selling for about $30 a roll right out of the gate. I figured they would come down to somthing resonable but I dont think they ever did. The 08-P,Ds were easily available as were the '09-D, but the 09-P were never available, and I could never get an explanation. >>

Haha, I think you mean satin finish unless there is a really evil variety I don't know about.
  • Options
    GrumpyEdGrumpyEd Posts: 4,749 ✭✭✭
    I remember that early in the year singles of the 2009 dimes and nickels were selling on ebay for crazy high prices, later in the year the buying frenzy had ended.
    Ed
  • Options

<< <i>I remember that early in the year singles of the 2009 dimes and nickels were selling on ebay for crazy high prices, later in the year the buying frenzy had ended. >>

If I recall correctly, a similar thing occurred with the 1977 Philly Ike dollars. A short production run in the early months spawned speculation that drove the price up to around $10 per coin. Then additional strikings brought prices right back down again.

• Options
    ambro51ambro51 Posts: 13,609 ✭✭✭✭✭
    I do recall this learned body of Numismatists here roundly ridicules one eBay buyer getting "da first 09 Jeff" for $47. Yes there is a rarity of sorts here.
  • Options
    rec78rec78 Posts: 5,691 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>

>>

This is unlikely because the mint and Fed use FIFO accounting since November of 1972 which
    requires they turn over their coins in storage. With the vast numbers of coins in circulation there
    would be brand new coins of all dates sitting in storage somewhere. But if you look at the condi-
    tions of any specific date it will form a bell curve showing that these coins are being recirculated
    by the Fed and the general economy.

Normally it takes three years or less for all coins to cycle one time. Of course a tiny percentage
    of quarters will sit under clothes dryers or in cookie jars longer.

There were very few strong economic areas in 2009 and this is where most were released. In these
    areas and nearby the '09's are common but getting less common every day as they disperse through-
    out the country.

It's unlikely these will be able to gain and maintain a strong premium because people knew they were
    low mintage at the time so some were set aside. I wouldn't mind owning a bunch of them.

Time will tell.

I disagree. This completed auction on ebay is the only one for 2009-P nickels. There are no more currently on ebay. This tells me that they have not been released in any quantity. The government does not follow its own rules or is lax in many cases and I think that rule is one of them. $87.50 a roll ? NO thanks, I will wait until more become available someday and they will. Sometimes they hold them back and just keep circulating other coins for whatever reason. There are a few 2009-D nickel rolls and a few 2009 dime rolls on ebay but no 2009-P nickel rolls.
    I remember finding about 22 rolls of BU 1991-D Kennedy half dollars in a bag I got from a bank ordered directly from the federal reserve in about 2004. There were in storage all those years. The 1991-D Kennedy half roll was one of the key rolls back then. I sold them as fast as I could on ebay and then the price went down, indicating at least to me that a lot of them were not released right away.
  • Options
    Collectors who collect from circulation, to what lengths do they go to make certain the coins they collect for their sets don't resemble the coins in the mint sets? What diagnostics do they use to pick out their coins? Is it a subliminal decision or are there criterias, for the lack of details do they base their decisions?

For further explanation, the US Mint can make only so many early die strikes from a set of new working dies. So it's a short period of time before the dies are engaged into manufacturing coins for circulation. But as we have learned, many of those coins stamped for mint sets did not all go into mint sets but were released into circulation. And it's also not farfetched to reason that many of the mint set coins that failed submission status have also been released into circulation. I hardly think they fetch much on ebay when they're low grade coins.

So back to my original question, "what do collectors of circulating coinage look for to make sure they are keeping their collections similar to the coins they collected prior to 2005?

oops, wrong date image

• Options

<< <i>

This completed auction on ebay is the only one for 2009-P nickels. There are no more currently on ebay. . >>

This eBay search seems to be lacking. I've bought 2009-P rolls from JT Stanton on eBay in the past three months and he still has a few rolls listed as of last week. I added a couple of rolls Friday.
    “The first principle is that you must not fool yourself and you are the easiest person to fool.”
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options

<< <i>

<< <i>

This completed auction on ebay is the only one for 2009-P nickels. There are no more currently on ebay. . >>

This eBay search seems to be lacking. I've bought 2009-P rolls from JT Stanton on eBay in the past three months and he still has a few rolls listed as of last week. I added a couple of rolls Friday. >>

Have you submitted any of the coins for grading?

• Options

<< <i>

Have you submitted any of the coins for grading? >>

No, but that's not typically my first concern. I'm just finishing out my BU roll set. As far as the quality, at a glance they're as I would expect when I used to pull rolls from bags in the '70s when I worked at a bank.
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    I saw this on line

Arizona coin exchange

~~~~~~~~~~ SELLING ~~~~~~~~~~ SELLING ~~~~~~~~~~ SELLING ~~~~~~~~~~

SELLING 2009-P BU NICKELS @ $65.00 A ROLL DELIVERED
    Randy Conway

Www.killermarbles.com

Www.suncitycoin.com
  • Options
    After this thread, I can't wait to see the +++ on this week's greysheet. I mean last week it said BU Jeff rolls were active right, well here's real interest.
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    kiyotekiyote Posts: 5,568 ✭✭✭✭✭
    That's off my radar but now I'm curious. I'll see how many I can pull out of circulation in the coming weeks.
    "I'll split the atom! I am the fifth dimension! I am the eighth wonder of the world!" -Gef the talking mongoose.
  • Options

<< <i>That's off my radar but now I'm curious. I'll see how many I can pull out of circulation in the coming weeks. >>

In your part of the country I wouldn't expect to see many. The economy there was a disaster in '09 and
    still hasn't recovered fully. In the old days they'd be filtering in from areas that had a strong economy in
    '09 but now days nickels are barely even money at all so their velocity is very low and it takes years for
    them to diffuse. Add in the fact that many were released in PR which has a somewhat isolated currency
    system because it's an island and there won't be many to see.

There will be hoards of this coin so nobody should allow themselves to be the victims of "irrational exuber-
    ance". Being very low denomination allows hoards. Also don't forget this isn't the 1980's any longer when
    no one paid circulating coinage the least attention. Now days there are people looking and collecting. These
    simply will not have the rarity of something like an '83-P quarter.

There may well be some major scarcities in high grade since quality was spotty and they are distinct from
    mint set coins.

It's a great time to hold these and might be a good time to buy but paying very large premiums is very very
    risky. If you must "invest" then do so in choice coins at little premium or buy '82-P nickels instead. Invest-
    ment in coins is always extremely risky without exception. All collectibles markets are unpredictable.
    Tempus fugit.
  • Options

<< <i>SELLING 2009-P BU NICKELS @ $65.00 A ROLL DELIVERED >>

For that price you can buy about 3 BU rolls of 1955 Philly nickels, mintage around 8 million.

• Options
    I think what you just said is pretty clear. I've got a purpose for finding and holding a few rolls (my BU roll set). I'll always have them to pick through down the road if the market for high grade plastic sets in. I've seen none in circulation in my area (So. Louisiana) but finding BU or circ rolls on eBay or web dealer sites is not too hard so I don't consider them rare. Overpriced? Can't answer that. Let the market play out over the years.
    ¯ Richard P. Feynman
  • Options
    dcarrdcarr Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭✭✭
    In 2012 I searched through 100 mixed rolls ($200 face value, 4,000 coins) that I bought at my bank.
    I found:

2009 nickels: 2.
    silver "war" nickels: 3.

Leave a Comment

BoldItalicStrikethroughOrdered listUnordered list
Emoji
Align leftAlign centerAlign rightToggle HTML viewToggle full pageToggle lights
Drop image/file