Home Trading Cards & Memorabilia Forum
Options

How's COMC doing?

Anybody use it lately? I rarely see anything vintage if good quality at a decent price. And the modern stuff seems to be mostly the chrome and paper base cards from throw away issues.

Might be time I just take my 20% payout hit and put cash in my pocket.

Thoughts?

Comments

• Options
    LarkinCollectorLarkinCollector Posts: 8,975 ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you're looking solely for vintage, I agree there's not a lot of good quality available. I've still been selling a fair amount and getting ready to send in another batch, but I think it's best for modern parallel set builders and player collector items.

If price is the only issue, I've found most sellers are willing to do significant discounts with the 'Make Offer'.
  • Options
    I agree with Kyle's assessment. I've found it helpful in completing my 2014 Topps set and in beefing up my Andre Tippett player collection, since he's usually considered a common. I kind of love the site. But I wouldn't use it to buy or sell vintage.
  • Options
    DavisDavis Posts: 705 ✭✭
    I've never used the site, but I just spent 5 minutes looking it over. Seems way overpriced for anything I would be interested in (pre-90s HOF rookies).
  • Options
    yankeeno7yankeeno7 Posts: 9,242 ✭✭✭
    Sportlots is good.
  • Options

<< <i>Sportlots is good. >>

I don't like that they don't show photos. And I also don't like that it's actually a written policy that condition descriptions don't need to be accurate if a card is a "common." I received a "near mint" card with multiple creases.
  • Options

<< <i>I've never used the site, but I just spent 5 minutes looking it over. Seems way overpriced for anything I would be interested in (pre-90s HOF rookies). >>

Yes this is true (of COMC). But 1991-present singles, especially commons, for set builders and player collectors? They're awesome for that.
  • Options
    esquiresportsesquiresports Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭
    I just received a mail piece for it yesterday, so they are investing in advertising.
    Always buying 1971 OPC Baseball packs.
  • Options
    baseballfanbaseballfan Posts: 5,451 ✭✭✭
    I have been selling and buying on there since last August. I sent in a bunch of stuff I couldn't get rid of and couldn't use and figured I would pick up stuff I needed for my sets all vintage.
    I have been surprised by my results.
    I picked up some 52 Topps, 72 hi numbers, 71 topps, 70 topps, 69 topps football in decent shape for my sets paid a little more then I would have liked but I look at it as I am trading the cards I don't want and cant get rid of and picking up cards I need. the money aspect is just a formality for me. you get a decent pic of the back and front and can chose from several cards most times.
    I have picked up some decent hi numbers (72) for under 2.00/card. I got a real nice #310 Metkovich 52 topps (last card in low numbers) for $20.00 that I would think may grade psa 6 at least. my sets aren't MINT so this trading as I see it works for me. I am selling mostly newer stuff, from 75 topps commons up to newer stars and off grade HOF rcs, which I have no interest in and sat around the house for years. so for me it has worked.

so far I have sold $495 and have a balance of just $4.

but I can see your not going to get MINT/NR MT vintage stuff from there but I think you would be hard pressed to get that from any site really without seeing it yourself in person.
    Fred

collecting RAW Topps baseball cards 1952 Highs to 1972. looking for collector grade (somewhere between psa 4-7 condition). let me know what you have, I'll take it, I want to finish sets, I must have something you can use for trade.

looking for Topps 71-72 hi's-62-53-54-55-59, I have these sets started

• Options
    hyperchipper09hyperchipper09 Posts: 1,440 ✭✭✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>I've never used the site, but I just spent 5 minutes looking it over. Seems way overpriced for anything I would be interested in (pre-90s HOF rookies). >>

Yes this is true (of COMC). But 1991-present singles, especially commons, for set builders and player collectors? They're awesome for that. >>

+1. Site has literally allowed me to build Cortez Kennedy and Chris Doleman collections out of thin air.
    Now if I can just get around to subbing the cards....image
  • Options
    ndleondleo Posts: 4,078 ✭✭✭✭✭
    Rather than start a new thread, I recycled this one. I'm about to try COMC for the first time as a seller. I plan to start with low dollar autos, serial numbered inserts, and refractors.

I'm still not clear on the selling fees, does the seller pay the $0.25/item shipping fee? That would make the total selling cost at 50 cents per card, which surprises me if true because a lot of cards listed there are less than 50 cents.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>Rather than start a new thread, I recycled this one. I'm about to try COMC for the first time as a seller. I plan to start with low dollar autos, serial numbered inserts, and refractors.

I'm still not clear on the selling fees, does the seller pay the $0.25/item shipping fee? That would make the total selling cost at 50 cents per card, which surprises me if true because a lot of cards listed there are less than 50 cents. >>

Seller pays the $0.25 listing fee, buyer pays the $0.25 shipping fee on a per card basis plus $3 flat shipping on all orders regarldess of quantity of cards. They occasionally have listing specials for ~$0.10 which is why you'll see cards listed at less than $0.50 or the seller is just wanting to clear out inventory after making enough profit on other cards.
  • Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>

<< <i>Rather than start a new thread, I recycled this one. I'm about to try COMC for the first time as a seller. I plan to start with low dollar autos, serial numbered inserts, and refractors.

I'm still not clear on the selling fees, does the seller pay the $0.25/item shipping fee? That would make the total selling cost at 50 cents per card, which surprises me if true because a lot of cards listed there are less than 50 cents. >>

Seller pays the $0.25 listing fee, buyer pays the $0.25 shipping fee on a per card basis plus $3 flat shipping on all orders regarldess of quantity of cards. They occasionally have listing specials for ~$0.10 which is why you'll see cards listed at less than $0.50 or the seller is just wanting to clear out inventory after making enough profit on other cards. >>

You also used to be able to get $0.10/card on bulk submissions. Another thing is if someone buys out someone's entire inventory, they may blowout the harder to move commons for pennies as their acquisition costs on those were probably very small.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    I'm not sure where the .10 bulk submission stuff is coming from. Each year they do a "National Special". Last year was a 600 (I think) count box for $77. This year, the special was only for the select processing rate which made it more. It wasn't very special. If you want to keep up with the COMC stuff there is a whole forum dedicated to it over on Blowout. j

Good luck with your subs.

• Options
    bziddybziddy Posts: 710 ✭✭✭

<< <i>I'm not sure where the .10 bulk submission stuff is coming from. Each year they do a "National Special". Last year was a 600 (I think) count box for $77. This year, the special was only for the select processing rate which made it more. It wasn't very special. If you want to keep up with the COMC stuff there is a whole forum dedicated to it over on Blowout. j

Good luck with your subs. >>

I mentioned that you "used to" be able to get those prices...

No longer -- but some people have cards priced in at lower entry points than what is available today.
  • Options
    ga5150ga5150 Posts: 743 ✭✭✭
    You are absolutely correct. I read your initial sentence too quickly. I think the days of .10 specials are gone. And you are right about prices lower than the entry point. Typically someone is trying to blow out inventory completely, or they bought someone else's port and the overall porfolio price makes it so the cards can be below .25 each.

<< <i> I mentioned that you "used to" be able to get those prices...

No longer -- but some people have cards priced in at lower entry points than what is available today. >>

• Options

<< <i>

Seller pays the $0.25 listing fee, buyer pays the $0.25 shipping fee on a per card basis plus $3 flat shipping on all orders regarldess of quantity of cards. They occasionally have listing specials for ~$0.10 which is why you'll see cards listed at less than $0.50 or the seller is just wanting to clear out inventory after making enough profit on other cards. >>

I bought cards before from COMC and only seen the $3 shipping fee. Is the $0.25 per card shipping embedded in the list price?

Also how far back should I go with the submission? I have football from mid-2000's to present. I would assume most of the action is on the more recent cards.
    Mike
  • Options

<< <i>I bought cards before from COMC and only seen the $3 shipping fee. Is the $0.25 per card shipping embedded in the list price? >>

Yes, whatever price you list a card at gets $0.25 added to it for what a buyer would see

<< <i>Also how far back should I go with the submission? I have football from mid-2000's to present. I would assume most of the action is on the more recent cards. >>

All of those would be fine. I've done pretty well on 90s inserts/parallels in all major sports.
  • Options
    Thanks LarkinCollector.

I met the COMC guys at the National and it seems like they have a good business plan for the site.
    Mike